2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

2 minutes ago, Landrover17H said:

Can't see why not, there can't be 3 Amps in any of it. I'd assume those plugs can deal with that easily.

Coils and injectors can be over 3A, the D37 pins are rated at 5A each and MS uses 2 pins per injector channel.

Does depend on your exact setup though.

Viable, then? Cool. 

I am going to get the ms up and running, then disassemble so I can do the rest of the build to my "standard" .

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Coils and injectors can be over 3A, the D37 pins are rated at 5A each and MS uses 2 pins per injector channel.

Does depend on your exact setup though.

There are high amp pins in the plug, I need to study Nige's diagrams.

Is there a minimum size for a trigger wheel? If I could clear the inner bolt retaining the timing pointer, that would be easier.

20 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Is there a minimum size for a trigger wheel? If I could clear the inner bolt retaining the timing pointer, that would be easier.

No minimum size I'm aware of, you can go thicker to compensate, it's a magnetic thing so just needs to see metal tooth / no metal tooth going past.

Okay.

Bear with me, I'm thinking slowly, but deeply. I think. Not used to this.

There's a number of things I need to be able to visualise:

Space behind the pulley, timing case bolts, mud shield on oil seal, thickness of sensor, length of sensor, thickness of wheel. Wheel material. Spacer between wheel and pulley.

Plus.

Wiring route, plug availability. Water ingress to plugs.

Good fun!

The plugs, if you buy the right ones, are waterproof.

Bosch EV1 are the jobbies, fit Junior Timer but they've got proper seals in them. I'm sure there's others too.

The Ripaults ones with the big rubber boot on the back are cack.

These? I like these.Screenshot_2020-06-22-17-55-19-786_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.9d24fdca80ab23b06b737c03594a7373.jpg

I'd like to able to wire to the ECU with a minimum of spliced wires. Proper plugs, sealed with a decent grease, or wax, or similar.

There's a lot of space if I use a small wheel.

About 25mm

So, I think I'll get a small wheel, a thick spacer and a sensor next. I might buy the from trigger wheels. 

IMG_20200622_192808.jpg

IMG_20200622_192938.jpg

Mine's rather more clumsy that yours, when done it'll require pushing the timing-pointer up a tad. But you get the idea. Trigger-wheels have a stock wheel, 146 x 114mm,  which has the 'teeth-troughs' just proud of the pulley.

TriggerWheel Install 22-06-20  01.png

TriggerWheel Install 22-06-20  04.png

Edited by Landrover17H

I am aiming high, true, not a criticism of you, I've done my fair share of "stick it back together, it will be fine".  Bailing twine, tec screws, JB weld and Duck tape are staples of my repair lexicon; the 109 is run on that basis!

This is a toy, though, and I'd like it to look like the apprentices at JLR had been given the job, so, reasonably professional, rather than my usual "stock together by a muppet with a mig and half a clue" effort.

I think I'll go with one of the standard trigger wheels - the largest I can fit without fouling that lower bolt.  And then try find a sensor that will mount neatly.  There's a couple of Renault sensors that look like good candidates, loath though I am to use french electrical parts.

Whatever works. Prototypes aren't easy.

I think I'll get the pulley sorted, and then get the fan belt in place, before I do the sensor.

Which means alternator time.

I'm thinking of fitting a mahle LRA604 instead of the Lucas ACR.

It's hard to find a decent Lucas that doesn't cost a fortune, and I'd still have the nagging doubt that it's just a cheap rebuild.

The mahle comes in around £140, 70 amps. But not a standard ACR plug.

It so happens I've just changed mine. Twas a Magneti Marrelli A127 in there. I suspect you know, you want a left-hang. Bunged in an 'eBay special' - supposedly for an MGB upgrade (55Amp) 18ACR. £48 delivered. This er... thing.

My MGB Alternaor Order £49 Jun 2020 01.png

Edited by Landrover17H

A Chinese  part sold for an MGB? Not best but it works...

I've looked into this. Better, and  a halfway point, would be the Rollco at 65Amp, but I'm strapped for cash.  £80ish on eBay. These are specc'ed for air/con on 17H. Oh, and don't forget, if you've not got one long bolt to hang it on, i had two separate bolts which makes it a pain to fit once in the engine bay, you want one M8 x 130mm

STC234.png

Edited by Landrover17H

Thankfully, for the first time in my life, I'm not strapped for cash. 

So, as it won't last, I'm trying to buy stuff that will still be working when I can't afford to change them!

I'll talk to auto sparks, they're doing the loom.

• Like 1