How would you machine this?

Bit of a conundrum for you as we're locked down so I can't enlist the help of friends with bigger mills or rotary tables :(

To fit the brake calliper inside the rim on the 109 I need to machine a little clearance into the top face of it, ideally with a nice neat radius.

The old one was done with an angle grinder in somewhat of a hurry and I'd rather make it neat!

Well, the old one as it stands machined itself a bit too much against the inside of the wheel rim after a bolt came loose <_<

2020-03-19_17-48-34.jpg

So I've got a brake calliper, and I need to machine a ~35cm diameter chamfer across the top of the front 1/4 of it with the equipment that falls to hand:

- Large pillar drill

- Lathe (Boxford CUD) but nowhere near 35cm throw

- Tiny CNC mill which you probably couldn't even fit the calliper onto the bed

- Milling cutters and carbide burrs

- Welders, angle grinders

My best idea so far is to make some sort of jig to mount the calliper at the correct offset in the pillar drill and then swing the table around the support column with a carbide burr in the chuck to give the correct radius... but that feels like it's going to grab the calliper and potentially chew the hell out of it if anything goes wrong. :ph34r:

Could do a similar arrangement on the lathe (burr in chuck, calliper on tool post) but it doesn't lend itself quite so easily to the setup and the potential issues feel about the same.

So, what else could I do?

3 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Finger sander? Held in a bracket bolted to the hub?

If I had one, yes! :D

Maybe a drill with a burr in it I suppose... but is that more or less betterer than clamping it all up and swinging it in the drill press I wonder?

You could make a bracket that attaches to wheel hub that extends out and attach a lathe cutter onto it and turn it backwards and forwards by hand as it's only alloy alternatively you could set landrover up to turn in low box and let vehicle do the work just need someone in car to clutch and brake so you can adjust said cutter have thought along similar lines to this for skimming discs prior to having a lathe regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Could you put a cutter in the lathe chuck then fix the caliper on a jig on the cross slide? If you turn a rod with a point on each end then centre punch the cross slide and tail stock you can wedge the rod with the points on in the two punched holes, keep a bit of right pressure on as you go forwards and backwards and it will move in an arc. Then shuffle the tail stock left a bit and take the next cut. 

How heath robinson would you like ?

transfer the pics of the wheel onto wooden board with a centre hole, and bolt it to the hub.

With a bolt or a piece of dowel, centre and fix a piece of 2x2 to the centred hole in the board.

Clamp/fix your drill with the carbide bit onto the 2x2 and rotate it to take gradual cuts out of the ally calliper? 

On 3/24/2020 at 11:33 PM, Stellaghost said:

You could make a bracket that attaches to wheel hub that extends out and attach a lathe cutter onto it and turn it backwards and forwards by hand as it's only alloy alternatively you could set landrover up to turn in low box and let vehicle do the work just need someone in car to clutch and brake so you can adjust said cutter have thought along similar lines to this for skimming discs prior to having a lathe regards Stephen

Almost there.... Use an old rim, cut a hole in it above the caliper (at least twice the lenght of the caliper, enough to fit over the caliper and the grinder seperate and you want enough length that when you swing the rim the grinder cuts the whole length of the caliper)... weld a couple bits of scap metal so you can hold a die grinder with a alloy carbide as you swing the rim, you adjust the cut by tilting the grinder and push it in and out to cut the whole surface

Alternatively you could use a grinder with an alloy grinding disk and mount the grinder the same way 

The bonus of this is you use the end of the "window" as a pattern to show you where and how much to cut 

I've done this on one truck, a trailer queen..... cutting back the caliper isn't legal on our roads