L320 or L494 - Which RRS is better?

Chicken Drumstick

Once out of lockdown I'm seriously considering upgrading my 4.6 p38 to a newer Range Rover. I'm really fancying the idea of a supercharged 5.0 V8 one. As it won't use any more fuel than my p38 does, but still largely offer all of the same ability as well as be stonkingly fast too. :D

I've not owned any LR's this new however. So I'm curious on which platform people think would be the better buy?

I really like the visuals of the L320 but I'd only be interested in the late facelift version with the 5.0 litre engine. Which I think was 2010. But these seem thin on the ground and I haven't liked the colours of nearly all of them I've seen for sale (I don't want grey, silver, black, white or any variation of).

The L494 is dynamically superior, but quite a bit more money.

I know both platforms are arguably more complex than the p38. But I'm hoping being newer they would perhaps be somewhat less tiresome in things stopping working....

Do you have a preference on which platform you like best? Is the L494 worth the extra (might cost nearly double, there seems a big jump in price to get to the newer model). Thanks.

yeah, 5.0 SCV8 or bust. Or the TDV8, but avoid the S/TDV6.

While the L494 is far superior ito comfort and luxury, the L322 is a bit more modifiable and its shorter wheelbase makes it excellent off-road. 

if you're going with the SCV8, watch out for a ticking sound at cold idle as that could indicate an issue with the timing chain tensioner - easily rectified if you catch it early, before the chain has stretched too long.

Not had a L494 but have had a TDV6 and Now a TDV8. Both were bought as salvage, the V6 was paintwork so an easy fix and drove it for around 3-4000 miles which it did comfortably. The TDV8 I have only test driven as I haven't finished curing all the faults but I can honestly say that I am really looking forward to driving this for a while as it went like brown stuff off a shiny shovel. Certainly the one to get almost as good as an L322 TDV8 which I also have but it has far more toys. (I must get out more)

On 2/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, Bowie69 said:

Always liked the first gen RRS, but you really don't see many around any more, I wonder why.....

Hmm, could be because they're cheap as chips now, but the maintenance & repair bills are not?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 6:40 AM, Naks said:

Hmm, could be because they're cheap as chips now, but the maintenance & repair bills are not?

Most have 2.7 TDv6 engines not the 3.6 TDV8 and they like to seize! 

Reckon I see 1 or 2 or more L320's every day. The comment in this thread made me think about it and actively look. I'm not doing big miles currently, only about 15 miles a day. But there seem to be plenty about. Although I suspect very few petrol powered ones. I do see probably double or triple the number of L494's however.

Not owned either of the RRS (bit too drug dealer for me :stirthepot:) but had a TDV8 L322 and been in a few RRS (gen 1) and the L322 is a vastly different place to be in terms of comfort, the Gen 1 RRS always felt a bit cramped to me.

The L494 should be a completely different beast though.

18 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Reckon I see 1 or 2 or more L320's every day. The comment in this thread made me think about it and actively look. I'm not doing big miles currently, only about 15 miles a day. But there seem to be plenty about. Although I suspect very few petrol powered ones. I do see probably double or triple the number of L494's however.

if you're not doing much mileage, then the supercharged v8 would be nice to have. The AJV8 engine is bulletproof and you will have a permagrin from the performance ;)

On 2/26/2021 at 7:31 PM, Simon_CSK said:

Not had a L494 but have had a TDV6 and Now a TDV8. Both were bought as salvage, the V6 was paintwork so an easy fix and drove it for around 3-4000 miles which it did comfortably. The TDV8 I have only test driven as I haven't finished curing all the faults but I can honestly say that I am really looking forward to driving this for a while as it went like brown stuff off a shiny shovel. Certainly the one to get almost as good as an L322 TDV8 which I also have but it has far more toys. (I must get out more)

I have now got the TDV8 almost ready for an MOT and have had it on the road for a proper test with suspension isses fixed. Having got the Vogue TDV8 and the Sport TDV8 I would say the sport is much more responsive. I was going to run it myself but have now bought one with a much lower mileage so am going to chip that and make it breath more easily. 

Having had a Disco4 and now an L494, in retrospect I would have gone for an L320 - easier to mod, easier to off-road IMHO, and cheaper to maintain due to sharing parts with the D3/D4.

But the Mrs vetoed the gangster model 😅