Adhesive for tub panel repairs

I’ve got some repairs to do to my tub, a new wing skin and some YRM repair sections to fit. As I don’t have a spot welder my intention is to use adhesive to attach the panels where the factory spot welds would have been, on the understanding that it’s structurally at least as strong if not more so.

Any recommendations for adhesives to use?

15 hours ago, miketomcat said:

The ibex panels are bonded on with tiger seal. They run a grinder with a sanding disc down the bond line, add sealant then clamp. I've done the same using sikaflex 291.

Mike

Is Tiger seal any good? I keep seeing it mentioned on forums but I've been using RTV for most things and seems to do the job.

I used Sikaflex 252 and flush mount aircraft rivets. I used the 252 to hold the aluminum walls of my trailer on without any other mechanical fasteners so I know it's strong. Sanded the panel down and did a light skim coat.

"Sikaflex®-252 is suitable for structural joints that will be subjected to dynamic stresses. Suitable substrate materials are timber, metals, particularly aluminium (including anodized components), sheet steel (including phosphated, chromated and zinc-plated components), metal primers and paint coatings (2-C systems), ceramic materials and plastics. Seek manufacturer’s advice before using on plastics that are prone to stress cracking. This product is suitable for professional experienced users only. Tests with actual substrates under real-life conditions are required to confirm adhesion and material compatibility."

IMG_2180.jpg

On 6/12/2021 at 2:19 PM, ThreePointFive said:

Is Tiger seal any good? I keep seeing it mentioned on forums but I've been using RTV for most things and seems to do the job.

I wouldn't use RTV for anything except sealing joints in an emergency I'm afraid. I've never used tigerseal but I know it's what foers have used but it is a polyurethane so much like sikaflex.

I have used 252 as well and again it works well.

Mike

I use a $20 air hammer with a flat rivet mandrel and an autobody dolly as a bucking bar. If you google or youtube it there's a bunch of videos. Just gotta go slow and take your time cause it can do a lot of damage in a second or two haha. I practiced on some scraps cause I hadn't done this in years but it's not too hard.

It did get a bit messy but it all just wipes up with acetone.

Sean

Edited by sgo70

• 3 weeks later...

I've used tiger seal and wurth bond and seal, the wurth stuff is slightly easier to apply a bit "softer" but both hold well. You can get a pre primer for the wurth stuff too like they use on the windscreens.

When I did the rear quater side on my 90 I used tiger seal and some rivets.

• 3 weeks later...

Big caution - whatever material finish (if any) is already on either bonding surface apply some of your chosen 'stuff' well beforehand and leave for a while. I suggest this because I've had reactions between both sika and tiger seal products on other products they *should* be compatible with which meant the stuck-on thing fell off! Changing the surface finishes solved the issue. Bit of a PITA as I'd tried to ensure compatibility before commencing. Recent roof adaptations were stuck using Soudal Fixall crystal sealant which has proved really strong (so far).

Edited by Jocklandjohn