200Tdi crank shaft timing gear - poor quality?

Maverik

Brain trust,

Just about to replace timing belt and I had a new bottom pulley/gear (ERR1642) too.

Its an Allmakes component made in China (from the box). for a gear driving a rubber type belt I though the finish on this was quite honestly carp.

Before I send it back I thought I'd like a 2nd opinion.

I'd be expecting a much smoother finish on this gear? - anyone got any thoughts?

413626682_WhatsAppImage2021-06-24at15_21.42(2).thumb.jpeg.32c9c47a511832985d81cd98820aeeee.jpeg

850439636_WhatsAppImage2021-06-24at15_21.42(1).thumb.jpeg.946ce7a97293072372e4a87d1ebba621.jpeg

2054693256_WhatsAppImage2021-06-24at15_21_42.thumb.jpeg.56917900dff134714955be62a5d5c6a4.jpeg

Looking online it is not very clear but certainly blue box ones are not a polished finish. However the rippled finish does not look good?ERR1642.jpg.1348dbd9159f7b64e8620d39e3e835c0.jpg

I did find a pick of a genuine version but the pick was not clear enough to tell.

It wasn't the cheapest on the shelf at £29.95 but I've got to say I was expecting a little more. - Looking last night I found I could get a genuine one for £80 from the land rover classic parts website. 

This kind of stuff drives me nuts, its half a job, why make something like this and just not finish it properly.

Back in the post.

Thank you all for your collective views.

This is shocking. I would say this is good evidence that one of the many reasons some pattern parts are cheap is the lack of quality control. I'm amazed that was ever put in a box and sent out the door. 

4 hours ago, smallfry said:

The original item was sintered, so the teeth would not have been machined at all.

That is what I was expecting to hear.

So is there a problem with the original posted item quality? I am confused if the post is about the sinter finish quality or the fact that it is sintered and not smooth/polished/machined finish?

2 hours ago, missingsid said:

That is what I was expecting to hear.

So is there a problem with the original posted item quality? I am confused if the post is about the sinter finish quality or the fact that it is sintered and not smooth/polished/machined finish?

The original, genuine part was interred, but the new pattern part in this discussion is machined.  The machining may have been done adequately to initial tolerances, but it clearly hasn’t been finished as the tool marks are still very coarse - the seal land is heavily grooved and will destroy the seal rapidly, and the grooving of the teeth is rough enough that I’d expect rapid wear of the timing belt.  That is what is being discussed.

1 minute ago, steve b said:

Turner Engines £29.95+VAT....the pic looks much different to that pos

Steve

To be honest, I wouldn’t buy engine parts from anyone else.  Their prices are very fair, and they have a reputation to protect.

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

The original, genuine part was interred, but the new pattern part in this discussion is machined.  The machining may have been done adequately to initial tolerances, but it clearly hasn’t been finished as the tool marks are still very coarse - the seal land is heavily grooved and will destroy the seal rapidly, and the grooving of the teeth is rough enough that I’d expect rapid wear of the timing belt.  That is what is being discussed.

Ta

Turner one.

ERR_1642.jpg.6577b596fb63076f1c0d0c57f90643fa.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

Damn it! Autobugger changed sintered to “interred”.  Still, I think everyone understood.

Nope, just thought you had gone off on a tangent !

If you pump the Turners photo up, it still looks like machining marks on the belt teeth to me ? Maybe its only poor photo resolution.

Took a bit of a punt £6 - new old stock - looked to be an early bearmach offering, and it came in a bright green bag, I've had other stuff in similar packaging and it's always been pretty good, out of a UK based machine shop if I remember rightly. 

Anyways much happier with this.

Massive difference from the first offing.

20210702_124012.jpg

20210702_124028.jpg

20210702_124037.jpg

My delivery from Turners has arrived this morning. Here is the 200Tdi crank pulley supplied by them. The seal surface has a fine finish to it. The teeth feel smooth but look similar to your first picture. 

IMG_20210706_091539.jpg

Look closely at the nature of the surface of the teeth, not just the depth of the roughness, and you’ll see the Turner part has very rounded texture while the Britpart item has sharper grooves cut in its surface.  The first will do no significant harm to the belt, but I think the second would shred it.