200Tdi cylinder head gasket failure?

5 hours ago, reb78 said:

Are helicoils really strong enough? I stripped a thread in an aluminium casting and put a helicoil in. I did it properly but it still feels like it is going to strip something if i torque to the massive 11nm torque the manual says! I use a small torque wrench on these delicate fastenings as I am conscious my monkey tight isn't that delicate!

You're doing it wrong Rich. I have literally done hundreds from M6 to M14 into aluminium, steel and cast iron and have never experienced that. As mentioned above, drill it straight, tap it straight and make sure the insert is long enough to do the job.

HTH

Mo

2 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

You're doing it wrong Rich. I have literally done hundreds from M6 to M14 into aluminium, steel and cast iron and have never experienced that. As mentioned above, drill it straight, tap it straight and make sure the insert is long enough to do the job.

HTH

Mo

I cant imagine how though Mo. I did it exactly as you say and expected the torque wrench to click at a certain point when tightening up at the end and it just felt like it was going to take more than it should. Weird. Its fine as it was just the sump on my overdrive and doesnt leak when nipped up. 

6 minutes ago, monkie said:

Could it have been the insert turning? 

Maybe. 

It sounds like the inserts will be fine for you though Phil. Everyone else has found them good. 

Someone recommended these to me the other day in place of helicoils https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BaerFix-Self-Tapping-damaged-Thread-Repair-Kits-Inserts-Metric-Imperial-Sizes-/143490339378?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

they were to repair a potentially pulled thread in a td5 head where the exhaust manifold has warped. I dont know which is best. 

I've not heard of those Richard. It seems to me that although they all are based around inserting something that in one form or another is itself threaded to accept the bolt; they look to me to require different amounts of metal to be removed to accept the inserts. I'm nervous of removing too much metal in the block and causing a weakness somewhere. Probably over thinking it, but I don't want to bugger the block up of all things!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 10:17 PM, reb78 said:

Maybe. 

It sounds like the inserts will be fine for you though Phil. Everyone else has found them good. 

Someone recommended these to me the other day in place of helicoils https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BaerFix-Self-Tapping-damaged-Thread-Repair-Kits-Inserts-Metric-Imperial-Sizes-/143490339378?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

they were to repair a potentially pulled thread in a td5 head where the exhaust manifold has warped. I dont know which is best. 

Wurth timeserts are the bees knees for thread repair. 

9 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

I've already answered that.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. How I read your response was that you did say you has seen it done but that you hadn't done it yourself.

My concern is that the burr left by the tang on the top insert would prevent a good alignment with the bottom insert. I think I might try it on some scrap first

i wouldn't stack helicoil's , it is very difficult to get the threads at the exact location (the bottom coil of the top helicoil needs to be at the precies right place in relation to the top coil of the bottom one ....) 

i would look for a longer insert .

^^^This is my concern; but surely the helicoil follows the threaded path you created when you ran the tap provided in the kit through the hole which will automatically align them?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, monkie said:

^^^This is my concern; but surely the helicoil follows the threaded path you created when you ran the tap provided in the kit through the hole which will automatically align them?

That is my expectation, you are not gluing two items together and hoping for correct spacing. It will be in the same thread so must be aligned. The tang is designed to break off out of harms way.

If you measure the length of thread on the bolt you will get an idea of the  length of the helicoil you need, as Mr V.Bomber suggests, and esp considering what it's doing, rather than stacking them it seems wise to use the longest possible.  I'd check the thread on the bolt goes all the way into the block as well before assuming that's the length you need. Helicoils are available in length as multiple of diameter eg LinkLink, so ideally you'd use something like M12 x 1.5  2D. I have seen recommendations to loctite them in to stop them coming out when dismantling. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I drilled the offending hole (17 on the tightening sequence), tapped it, inserted an M12x1.5x1.5D helicoil insert. New Elring head gasket, head back on, tightened up the bolts (with a bit of grease under the heads which contact the top of the cylinder head). This time all went with no fuss to the 40Nm, 60' and second 60'. 

Very relieved! 

IMG_20210820_161054.jpg

IMG_20210820_161234.jpg

IMG_20210820_170126.jpg

IMG_20210820_170134.jpg

• Like 4

All built up and joined with the stumpy gearbox. Waiting on a couple parts for before I put the LT230 on. 

I'm trying to remove the 19J complete with gearbox and transferbox as one unit. It's putting up one hell of a fight. Anyone got any tips? 

IMG_20210822_135855.jpg

12 minutes ago, western said:

but its already removed, think you have a typo error 

No, that picture is of the 200Tdi and the R380 stumpy (both nice and clean). I still have the 19J with LT77 and old transfer box still insitu (caked in grime). I have removed the handbrake cable, tunnel and gearstick, propshafts are also off. Disconnected the engine interms of pipes, electrics, fuel etc and removed the front including the radiator entirely. The 4 mounts are undone and I have managed to get the while unit up and moved forward about 3 cm but now it wont budge any further. It was the exahust mounting bracket on the gearbox that was catching, but even with that removed I can't it to move forwards any more. I can't see what its sticking on. The bellhousing is just clear of the bulkhead so it isn't that either.

• Like 1

I think it might just be a case of wiggling it around a bit and getting the load level right on the hoist. As far as I can tell it needs to come straight and forward for a bit to get off the mounts then engine up/transfer box down. I haven't removed the cross member yet but I'm not sure I'll get away with leaving it in.