Help - Alternator question.

Anderzander

Working on the td5 is a bit more involved than an older tdi engines but it's nothing that difficult. The Alternator is combined with the vacume pump and its front lower drivers side (on a RHD). Or left side as you look at the engine from the front.

I lived in Aberdeenshire for 10 years, only moved away last year. I was over all last week but now I'm in the west.

If you get stuck at all send me a message, I've got a few land rover orientated friends around the area that I could inlist to give you a hand if needed.

Good luck.

20210817_102432.jpg

As I commented earlier on my own (300TDi) alternator 'pack' failure, I thought I'd dig-out the pics for completeness.

In this case the rectifier and brushes are in one pack which bolts onto the back of the body. The new one needs the brushes to be held inside the holders as you push it over the rotor, hence the use of a paper clip pushed through a tiny hole, provided for that very purpose. Google translate came in handy again at the campsite office as I couldn't see a drawing pin on the desk there, so needed to ask!

The pack cost €9 about three years ago.

@Anderzanderit's good to hear that you will be sorted soon and can continue the trip.

IMG_7405.thumb.JPG.a0c48ad6c06e37104ffe515fbe0355d9.JPG

IMG_7402.thumb.JPG.4659fd4a7be889380e49eb0903395943.JPG

4 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Right - NE 4x4 have it and have lent us a car. The dog won them over - he actually wasn’t going to lend us a car with the dog until he saw he was a spaniel 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Not sure why though - it’s the archetypal mechanics Yaris. It’s already cleaner 😂

Peversley when I set off this morning the charge light was off - and Nanocom showing 14v - however a few miles down the road and it was dropping down to 11v again. 

I’m so grateful for all the help and support here. Thank you.

ahh you got a loan of yasmine 

ian aka tich is a good guy so be fine there

Nothing special, ... he put a 2nd hand V8 (which I sourced) in my LHD Calififornian RRC County for me in his Banchory days, and did a bit to keep my 2A SWB legal when I was to and fro from France, he probably remembers my little brother Alan and his RRC's more than me , Alan still lives in the area south of Stonehaven, but as he hasn't had anything with a green oval badge for a while I doubt he has called on Tich for much in recent years. Tich was well thought of then, quite a few of the lads in our business (subsea projects) had 4x4's in those days and he was where we went for larger repairs we didn't have time for. 

Interesting to see Dunecht 4x4 appear earlier as well, that was very much a sales operation back in the day, might have been a bit of servicing but I don't remember anyone using them for mechanical repair. I used to pass them everyday on my way to work.

I don't hear many good things about Dunecht 4x4 these days. They seem to be interested in sales with some pretty poor after sales. I've only dealt with Titch a couple of times but find him to be a genuine enthusiast with lots of good advice. I wouldn't hesitate to send folk his way. 

I posted the link to Dunecht 4x4. I have never been to that part of the world and have absolutely no idea if they are any good. It was just a suggestion following a quick Google search as someone to call to see if they had an alternator and would fit it. 

Late to the thread (sorry) but for future reference in the Highland area Hamish Grant at Inverness 4x4 in Inverness knows more about Land Rovers than anyone, has a full garage facility & spares available on site or can obtain ASAP (usually overnight) with local & global delivery.

Also in Edderton (near Tain on the Dornoch Firth) Tom & Morag Robb have a garage facility and large parts dept (doing mail order globally, they took over Davidson & McMIllan Parts in Inverness a few years ago and moved to run it from home during lockdown). Tom's whole family have LR's of various types from straight ones to unusual hybrids. He also does a good line in recycling old LR doors which he welds up and then takes to the galvydippers on the other side of the Moray FIrth and builds up to new on the clean frames.

Either of these businesses will be able to sort you out with most parts, lots of knowliedge of TD5 and later electrigizmos too as well as encyclopaedic knoweldge of mechanical stuff. Crucially also well placed with courier knowledge & contacts so can get stuff to pretty much anywhere, even offshore on the islands.

Interesting aside Tom Robb's mechanic whom I met recently was saying several local Estates are reverting to old LR's 90 & 110's because of parts and cost for Toyota/Nissan/Datsun 4x4's so they've seen an incease in business in that sector.

I would highly recommend either of them.

Inverness 4x4 is https://www.inverness4x4centre.co.uk/ 01463 233303 and Tom Robb is https://www.dandmlrspares.com/

6 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Thank you !!  All sorted ! 

lovely guy - and @daviehe mentioned you’d texted him 🙂  We are back on the road.

Great news. Hopefully that's all your land rover will throw at you? 

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 2:29 PM, Anderzander said:

Thank you !!  All sorted ! 

lovely guy - and @daviehe mentioned you’d texted him 🙂  We are back on the road.

yeah gave him a shout to say glad he was able to help.  been using him for lots of years now.    glad he got you sorted!

• Thanks 1