My new Range Rover Sport

Simon_CSK

10 hours ago, Arjan said:

Serial collector ?

Serioys illness I think :rofl:

All the Range Rovers, in the picture, are TDV8's and reasonably low mileagefor their age but not really what I want. Al; three I am going to sell but really want a 5l Supercharged to add to my CSK, and P38.

I love that shape of RRS, they're aging very well. When I worked at a dealership decades ago they had just come in, easily my favourite model besides a Defender. Always wanted one but need a sensible daily for tax/fuel/reliability to justify the stupid one (90).

Great work and great collection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

I love that shape of RRS, they're having very well. When I worked at a dealership decades ago they had just come in, easily my favourite model besides a Defender. Always wanted one but need a sensible daily for tax/fuel/reliability to justify the stupid one (90).

Great work and great collection.

Agree completely. That and the late L322 are just right. Obvious family links but still their own design. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon_CSK said:

Thanks

I am torn between the L322 and the Sport. I like the grace of the L322 but equally the sportiness of the Sport the reason I have both.

To each his own, 'grace' is not something I'd ever use when talking about an L322. I do like the look of the Sport, reminds me of a P38. Not convinced by the interior, and like in most modern cars I'm annoyed by all the beeps etc when driving one. Very glad to see the Sport go back to the owner, now there's nothing in the yard from this millennium. 🙂 Most recent resident is a '99 P38 that is marked to be stripped in favor of a 1996 P38. 

Edited to add: I don't want to sound negative, you do have an impressive collection and it's nice to see the more recent generations getting a fan base as well. 😉
I'm sure the 5.0 supercharged will be nice to drive!

Filip

That's some impressive work @Simon_CSK. I imagine it's not easy trying to trim the panel to fit and get it exactly in the right position. It's also not easy taking an angle grinder to a shiny Range Rover!

I would be interested in a more indepth write up, or just even some pictures from the inside as I guess there was a second skin to sort out?

A friend has a van with a big stoved in part down one side, but it's not an easy job to repair something like that!

Steve

2 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

That's some impressive work @Simon_CSK. I imagine it's not easy trying to trim the panel to fit and get it exactly in the right position. It's also not easy taking an angle grinder to a shiny Range Rover!

I would be interested in a more indepth write up, or just even some pictures from the inside as I guess there was a second skin to sort out?

A friend has a van with a big stoved in part down one side, but it's not an easy job to repair something like that!

Steve

Steve

It was my first time doing it and as I had the donor car to start with it turned out to be relatively easy. I didn't however do any welding my friend did that.

Taking the panel off the donor I needed to remove the rear window which proved to be very difficult end ended up with me taping the glass before I hit is with a hammer. The tinting and wires on the glass were damaged by my efforts. 

Once the glass was removed I over drilled all the spot welds and prized the joint open with a small chisel.  I cut the c and d pillars at the narrowest points, cut a wide section of the wheel arch from the underside and removed the donor panel.

Preparing the recipient car was virtually the opposite with the exception of the hammer to the glass where I got a local auto glass fitter to remove and refit. 

Removing the wing from the recipient was similar but rather than taking large swathes of the wing off I took small stages until the new panel could be offered up and overlaid. Once it was close it was held in place with mole grips and adjusted until the lines were as good as we could get them then held it in place with a few self tapping screws. 

Welded carefully in place and reglazed.

Going for paint a week on Monday and I am typing this while the MOT is taking place.

57 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

I am typing this while the MOT is taking place.

Which it passed with two advisories and a minor fault, the fault being a knackered gator, and the advisories a minor exhaust leak and a suspension pipe with a little rust.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

Came back from the paint shop with it today and my heart is broken. 😭

The car is absolutely stunning and I need to sell it. 😭😭

I will post some pictures over the weekend.

I thought that was the point of doing it?

Just think of the end goal, 5.0 itr supercharge.

My mate had one, when he worked for a Chinese telecoms company in the UK they took his company petrol card off him as it cost them too much!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The finished product. Now need to finish some of the others as well. And I have just found a 4.2 petrol that is of interest but don't want to spend anything at the moment until I get at least one more finished and sold. :blink:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, missingsid said:

I thought that was the point of doing it?

Just think of the end goal, 5.0 itr supercharge.

My mate had one, when he worked for a Chinese telecoms company in the UK they took his company petrol card off him as it cost them too much!

I used to have a fuel card from work for my 4.6. The agreement was I'd drive on LPG, which wasn't much worse price-wise than a diesel estate driven not so gently.

For about two weeks my LPG system was broken and I had to drive on petrol. Apparently the fuel card company called my employer to ask if my card had been stolen :lol:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, elbekko said:

I used to have a fuel card from work for my 4.6. The agreement was I'd drive on LPG, which wasn't much worse price-wise than a diesel estate driven not so gently.

For about two weeks my LPG system was broken and I had to drive on petrol. Apparently the fuel card company called my employer to ask if my card had been stolen :lol:

I need to fund the fuel myself however I have a 4.6 P38 and I can live with that so I don't think a 5.0 can be much worse.

Besides I have plenty od diesels kicking around :rofl: