Hydraulic press.

uninformed

Hey all, 

I thought I'd post up some bits of the start of my hydraulic press build. It is based on the usual H frame style with some differences to suit my needs. It will be good for 50 tonne. Yes I probably should have just bought one, but I got all the beams for free and the cylinder is brand new, USA made at a good price years ago. The types I can buy would also not be as versatile due to my space restraints. 

a couple of examples:

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/P147

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/P152

50 tonne SPX Power Team cylinder - 13" travel single acting.

2129959538_55tpress015RS.thumb.jpeg.1e91de3663fc56d77369b9de73c8af7a.jpeg

50mm thick cylinder mounting plate sourced from an engineering firm. I oxy'd the hole and took it to a workshop to get machined to my specs. 

1990085980_55tpress002RS.thumb.jpeg.6dfc39d2d1b5f8c001fdba3e96e08d01.jpeg

566652567_55tpress017.thumb.jpeg.13fe8be0cb47473f7b98c9b57aee22e6.jpeg

25mm thick plate with hole oxy'd ready for machining. This will locate over the top of the cylinder and engage both head beams.

P1000997.thumb.jpeg.eb3af1f309e671c227f96d1ce10591cf.jpeg

Edited by uninformed

The above was started years ago and then shelved. Now well into my 110 build, I have many uses for a press so it's become more of a priority. 

The start of the 4 beams. 2 for the head and 2 for the table. All based on 250 PFC (Parallel Flange Chanel)

Mounting webs - continuous fillet weld all round (Bevel is for weld prep of mounting plate)

IMG_6043.thumb.jpeg.eb939978362ce3b919f42925a44e6453.jpeg

Mounting plate with bevel prep for nearly full penetration welds (not enough access for a decent weld on the underside)

IMG_6047.thumb.jpeg.f57618caf66500dae3686279e976744b.jpeg

IMG_6048.thumb.jpeg.9a027d634fbb89a8107a3e265814fb96.jpeg

First step complete 

IMG_6092.thumb.jpeg.94ffe9c8d4f9460162612aa4606be108.jpeg

As the 8mm web and my overall design would be borderline for shear capacity, I added a 6mm plate web to the outsides (beams are mounted toe out) The shape is to transfer the load to the mounting points. 

IMG_6222.thumb.jpeg.3df3969e0c78d214cdda71422507780d.jpeg

Some plating to the back to allow for machining flat (without reducing web material) and hole compensation. There will be end cross members to deal with torsion and some smaller intermediate cross members.

3 plate for tables

IMG_6730.thumb.jpeg.944a510068ba9bf53576e7f502b194a8.jpeg

2 plate for heads

IMG_6740.thumb.jpeg.135613d2a8c659037402d1424c9537d5.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uninformed said:

The start of the 4 beams. 2 for the head and 2 for the table. All based on 250 PFC (Parallel Flange Chanel)

Does that mean it's 250mm across the outside of the flanges?

I made mine out of 100 mm, and I can confirm it's not really strong enough for use with a 35t ram, never mind a 50.

3 hours ago, nickwilliams said:

Does that mean it's 250mm across the outside of the flanges?

I made mine out of 100 mm, and I can confirm it's not really strong enough for use with a 35t ram, never mind a 50.

250mm from flange to flange. Flanges are 89mm wide x 16mm thick. Web is 8mm thick. Given its only 1040 wide overall, bending is not really an issue, it’s the shear capacity of the web. A lot of older presses were built from beams like this but now more so of flat plate where shear capacity is much greater.

Edited by uninformed

2 hours ago, Mossberg said:

Great fabrication. Do you have any sketches of what you aim to achieve?

I have a vague picture in my head if that helps lol.

I had done a couple but changes have been made so they aren’t valid.

uprights will be 100x16 flat bar with some 75x12 stitch welded to create an angle. There will be 4 of these. Bolted to the beam head and table via the 100x16 plate welded between the PFC flanges. There will be a crossmember at each end of the beam pairs to resist torsion. The table will have two smaller intermediate crossmembers, while the head will have some clamping by the cylinder carriage/mount. 

I find having a decent plan really helps. I have CAD si I tend to do things on that first. So many times I will put things on a drawing, realise it wouldn't quite work, alter the drawing and then thank **** I didn't do all the work to then have to alter it. I do tend to get things laser cut though, so getting it right first is a big advantage where possible as it allows me to put matching holes in things etc.

50 tonnes is a great power level. You could make a decent pressbreak with that and your skills. 

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

• Like 1

@Mossberg Other than my rear crossmember and my radius arm webs, I cut everything by hand. Unfortunately it’s not cost effective for me to get stuff laser cut.  I do drawings for certain things but can get caught up in the details. My background is construction so I’m use to visualising the finish product then breaking it down to build it, and our drawings are far from fool proof lol. With this I got sick of looking at the bits and thinking about it and just said F it, get cracking lol. 

And yes a press brake is high on the list. I currently get bit folded by my local steel supplier. Either folded first or I cut out and get them to fold. It will definitely help with bits I like to do, and being able to press flared holes rather than use a draw bolt will be nice. 

Still a ways off yet but closer than a pile of raw PFCs on the floor. 

Edited by uninformed

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 10:37 PM, uninformed said:

Unfortunately it’s not cost effective for me to get stuff laser cut.

Look into the larger Plasma cutting places, I have one here who sells cut steel at the same price I pay for the plate at the local steel wholesales..... When I was in Qweensland, there were a couple of them in Brisbane that priced qoutes for us very well 
The only down side is the time on the computer (generally alot less than time spent cutting lol) and the lead time 

Just curious why Tig, nice to see but not exactly fast and sitting over that in summer heat welding lol you'd be melting 

5 hours ago, De Ranged said:

….Just curious why Tig, nice to see but not exactly fast and sitting over that in summer heat welding lol you'd be melting 

I only have TIG/Stick, am self taught and have done very little stick. I should do more but like to improve and stay consistent with my TIG 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, De Ranged said:

Just curious why Tig, nice to see but not exactly fast and sitting over that in summer heat welding lol you'd be melting 

I'd always pick TIG over any of the others, I find it much more enjoyable. and To be honest, when you're in the groove you can weld pretty much as quickly as MIG once you get going you've just got to wack the power up and get moving. Tacking is much slower obviously.

20 hours ago, uninformed said:

I only have TIG/Stick, am self taught and have done very little stick. I should do more but like to improve and stay consistent with my TIG 

Impressive to dive into the deep end starting with TIG. If you want to do a bit of stick I'd recomend the WIA 16tc, the nicest rod I've found yet (sadly I haven't been able to get them here in NZ)

Keen to see more 

17 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I'd always pick TIG over any of the others, I find it much more enjoyable. and To be honest, when you're in the groove you can weld pretty much as quickly as MIG once you get going you've just got to wack the power up and get moving. Tacking is much slower obviously.

I know what you mean, when you get that rythm, running hot and fast, Still not close to a Mig lol ...... while I'm welding for me I'm too focused on the pace/rythem and my pool. It doesn't matter what system I'm welding. The thing with Tig is the feedback... good and bad lol that rythem is so obvious