Whats Shocks to get? LR90 (+40mm ride height)

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some inspiration.

The ride in my truck leaves something to be desired - some of these Yorkshire back roads are super bumpy 200tdi 90, Brownchurch roof rack, spare wheel on rear door, inny/outty role cage, Superwinch hunky bumper/winch so she's not empty but carrying some built in weight..

Springs FRONT -  DA4202 - Britpart +40mm front springs

Shocks FRONT - Standard Munro 

Springs REAR - Red/white RRC (HD police) springs with a 50mm spacers

Shocks REAR - Britpart SuperGAz 

I ran the above spring set-up for years with Terrafirma Big bore shocks and can't really say I had any complaints with the drive/handling. - when I did a spring refresh in 2019 I did a like for like swap on the springs and binned the big bores and threw in what I had sitting around - which is whats in there now.

So yes the "Britpart" in the title is probably half the problem... 

So in an effort to improve the situation I was thinking I could put some decent dampers under her and this is where I'm struggling.

I'm pretty happy with the ride height just now as it works.

But I cant find any decent manufacturers of shocks (Bilsteing, Old man Emu, Fox... )that will cater for the ~+40mm extra ride height I'm running (which in reality is less due to the extra load installed), everything I've seen is pointing me to either Terrafirma or Britpart... am I missing something?

I went and measured where the shocks are now and front and back are sitting at about 520mm (normal length).

Any help appreciated

Cheers Mav

If your lift is as minimal as you say, I strongly suspect that standard level shocks should do you very well.

SuperGaz shocks have a reasonable reputation,  nothing like Koni, Bilstein etc, but good value for money.

What don't you like about the ride?

I am very pleased with the Fox shocks I bought from Gigglepin. I am probably slightly lighter than you as no cage but the rest is very similar weight wise. 

Why won't plus 50mm FOX ones work? Just need to check that the closed length allows the axle to hit the bump stop and not bend the shock?

14 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

If your lift is as minimal as you say, I strongly suspect that standard level shocks should do you very well.

SuperGaz shocks have a reasonable reputation,  nothing like Koni, Bilstein etc, but good value for money.

What don't you like about the ride?

Just bouncy bouncy, could be my tolerance to it has waned with my age!?! still doesnt change the fact, its got pretty cheap shocks just now.

So I was thinking I could get away with using std height shocks... but then I went and measured the normal extension length I saw a few specs for standard shocks and it was only giving 20-30mm over 530mm for the "top out" length of the shock - which I felt was a bit close for comfort.

2 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I am very pleased with the Fox shocks I bought from Gigglepin. I am probably slightly lighter than you as no cage but the rest is very similar weight wise. 

Why won't plus 50mm FOX ones work? Just need to check that the closed length allows the axle to hit the bump stop and not bend the shock?

Gigglepin - I'll have a look! 😀 - half the problem is I'm pish at searching I think!

29 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I went and measured the normal extension length I saw a few specs for standard shocks and it was only giving 20-30mm over 530mm for the "top out" length of the shock - which I felt was a bit close for comfort.

Your probably right in that case, need +2s.

Some manufacturers/sellers give open/closed lengths, which is very handy, but not all!

Went through all this with the little green thing recently....

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

Good shout - gigglepin have Fox and Old man emu at +2". Emailed to see availability. 

• Like 1

Have a look at gwyn lewis site he has the open and closed length of shocks given, and will give advice on the different shocks he sells and amount of damping provided. Also good to ring and speak to about recommendations for spring rates as well. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jon W said:

Have a look at gwyn lewis site he has the open and closed length of shocks given, and will give advice on the different shocks he sells and amount of damping provided. Also good to ring and speak to about recommendations for spring rates as well. 

This, Gwyn is great and won't try and flog you the most expensive, but what's right for you.

6 hours ago, Maverik said:

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some inspiration.

The ride in my truck leaves something to be desired - some of these Yorkshire back roads are super bumpy 200tdi 90, Brownchurch roof rack, spare wheel on rear door, inny/outty role cage, Superwinch hunky bumper/winch so she's not empty but carrying some built in weight..

Springs FRONT -  DA4202 - Britpart +40mm front springs

Shocks FRONT - Standard Munro 

Springs REAR - Red/white RRC (HD police) springs with a 50mm spacers

Shocks REAR - Britpart SuperGAz 

I ran the above spring set-up for years with Terrafirma Big bore shocks and can't really say I had any complaints with the drive/handling. - when I did a spring refresh in 2019 I did a like for like swap on the springs and binned the big bores and threw in what I had sitting around - which is whats in there now.

So yes the "Britpart" in the title is probably half the problem... 

So in an effort to improve the situation I was thinking I could put some decent dampers under her and this is where I'm struggling.

I'm pretty happy with the ride height just now as it works.

But I cant find any decent manufacturers of shocks (Bilsteing, Old man Emu, Fox... )that will cater for the ~+40mm extra ride height I'm running (which in reality is less due to the extra load installed), everything I've seen is pointing me to either Terrafirma or Britpart... am I missing something?

I went and measured where the shocks are now and front and back are sitting at about 520mm (normal length).

Any help appreciated

Cheers Mav

There should be loads of +2” shocks available. 

Have to say I’ve been quite impressed with the Britpart Cellular Dynamic shocks. If it is just general use and not off road racing, I’d have thought they should be more than good enough. 

• Like 1

I use Koni Heavy traks on my 110, loaded up with all the camping gear they keep the 110 under control very nicely. Loaded up it probably weighs in at about 2800-2900 KGs.

Springs, you can't really beat Genuine land rover imho, only after market ones I'd entertain is Iron Man.

• Like 1

When you say bouncy, do you mean soft and wallowy, or harsh, like a Series with rusty springs ?

I have got Decarbon +40s on my 90, and they seemed fine as far as I can remember. Its a long time since I have driven it. 

5 hours ago, smallfry said:

When you say bouncy, do you mean soft and wallowy, or harsh, like a Series with rusty springs ?

I have got Decarbon +40s on my 90, and they seemed fine as far as I can remember. Its a long time since I have driven it. 

Harsh, she's always been pretty "stiff" as I know I'm running harder springs, but I never remember noticing it when I had the big bores installed, I think half the issue is that some of the roads around here are rough as chips.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:52 AM, Mo Murphy said:

I've used cellular dynamic for a few years now, they've been fine.

Mo

I had too, though mine expired after about 5-6 years use.  Switched to Bilstein +2 and they've been absolutely excellent, a much better ride in my opinion.  Bought from MM4x4 as they seemed good value.

2 hours ago, SPendrey said:

I had too, though mine expired after about 5-6 years use.  Switched to Bilstein +2 and they've been absolutely excellent, a much better ride in my opinion.  Bought from MM4x4 as they seemed good value.

How so, Scott ? What characteristics make them better ? I know they are a very popular choice currently.

Mo

23 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

How so, Scott ? What characteristics make them better ? I know they are a very popular choice currently.

Mo

I think the best description I can give is that the ride feels more stable, less 'crashy', and with a much smoother damping experience.  Of course, when they went on new they were replacing failed/failing shocks, so they're bound to feel better.  However, over time, the Bilstein still feel good, and speed bumps, pot holes, and ruts/dips when laning all are a simple "down, up, level".  That's it, little rebound, little fuss.  Very pleased with them.

My only criticism is when fitting to anything more than standard thickness turrets (on the front) there really isn't much room left for bushes and thread for the top nut.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 4:00 PM, SPendrey said:

Went for some Bilstein +2 from MM4x4 - for the same reason they where good value, she's not driving the miles just now so these will do for the time being - I'll see how they go.

Thank you all for the help, I'll report back once I put them on see if it helps the ride.

• Like 1

So not quite to plan, the rear's are on back order. So I scrubbed the order and bought a pair of rear Britpart Cellular dynamics.

See if that makes any difference to the ride. I just came from shopping and at one point - a back single track road out of York about 45-50 mph and I was holding onto the steering wheel to stop me from exiting the vehicle rather than steering, super bouncy. Rears at least should be an easy change. - then I'll look at the front. From memory its got Genuine LR shocks that must only be 2-3 years old max.

Installed new rear shocks this morning, and from some initial driving I think it's improved the situation, I've not driven the offending road which caused me to do this, but going by the state of the ones I took off, they where meant to be nitrogen charged, but they wouldn't fully extend, I think they where past there best.

• Like 1