New rear body tubs

2 hours ago, smallfry said:

I dont know if you are all aware of this company, so apologies if you are. Might be an option for some, but with values appearing to be falling, could be a non starter.

www.defenderreartubsltd.com

You need to be sitting down when you view the price list, more expensive than a galvanised chassis !!!

Regards Stephen

24 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

You need to be sitting down when you view the price list, more expensive than a galvanised chassis !!!

Regards Stephen

I must confess that I could not even consider it. I would want the rest of the Land Rover with it for that sort of money.

5 minutes ago, smallfry said:

I must confess that I could not even consider it. I would want the rest of the Land Rover with it for that sort of money.

Agreed, for that sort of money you could buy new sides, have a tub folded and put it together yourself, let's be right, after about 12 months use they would end up looking the same I reckon regards Stephen

It is a lot of money... but I don't think the price is that far off. Especially when you consider material prices these days. The time taken to both sort the design out (there are some subtle differences in the construction to a stock one) and then to build the final ones isn't going to be cheap. It's a bit different making a tub from scratch as a 'standard' part than it is making a tub to repair a single car. 

• Like 1

If the materials quality is high, then fair play.  They are very expensive, but 2mm is quite a lot thicker than original and so they may be considerably more resistant to damage.  If they are more resistant to corrosion than the originals, especially the later stuff, then they could be well worthwhile to the few who can afford them.  By comparison, a recon Tdi by Turner is about the same price (well, last time I looked was just before this economic mess), but that is with the block, head, shafts and so on refurbished rather than new.  These tubs will all be from fresh materials, which is costly.

• Like 1