SLRC Summer Sisters 24-25th June 2023

Bowie69

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

I’m sure it’s just the perspective- but that tent looks tiny ! 

It's not huge but it's only me and the dog this weekend so a "3 man" (more like two) is enough.

Stephen has turned up and I think I'm in love. :wub: Sid is beautiful.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

The time of those post suggests a late evening was had!

Huge regret at not taking the car up, but that was always going to happen.

That was Friday, just going to bed in a tent, as I am now! 

In other news, Jon and Mike were back in camp before dark, think we slipped into some sort of parallel universe whey people don't get their trucks stuck half an hour before leaving time..... 

• Haha 1

No I think you had half the people who were driving home and thus being slightly sensible. The other half had already broken theirs by lunchtime, failed to find parts on the WhatsApp chat so had to return home. And then there's Stephen...

Another testament to him is that this (I think) was Sid's shakedown run and apart from a couple of things catching the only "breakage" was a minor oil leak from a pipe. Seriously impressive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

The benefit of 110" wheelbase being not that common there meant I was able to straddle the holes to a certain extent.

I’ve seen something similar happen quite a bit. Where on a 90” the front wheels haven’t cleared an obstacle before the back wheels are hitting it - whereas on a 110 the back wheels can drive the front over the obstacles and then they have the front on good ground to help pull the back over. 

Swings and roundabouts in the end I’m sure. 

My only significant problem on the day was the plough on the back. I do have a proper Southdown tank guard with towing and recovery attachments but for some reason despite coming off someone's 300Tdi 110 it doesn't fit mine. I do have a custom rear cross member but it was built to the same dimensions as the original. It fits into place but if I line up the tank bolts then the others don't line up and vice versa.

I did realise just before we left site that I did the whole day with Si's X Deflex engaged :blush:. I suspect the two or three times I got hung up on the tow bar if that had been disengaged I'd have had just enough traction to drive straight through. Two of them I got out by a bit of shunting and wheel turning the third needed the winch. Cheater buttons help massively though.

• Like 3

Good to meet you properly Daan, Stephen, Jake, and to revisit slightly older friends... 

Few things... Never believe the weather forecast and leave your door tops behind:

20230624_071157.thumb.jpg.5ac25fce09cb5105342ed64353065ace.jpg

Stephen was pleased to be there on a cool and drizzly morning:

20230624_101009.thumb.jpg.cfbfca193df4195b8443f69730590fdd.jpg

Sid is huge, before he got the apparently +5" springs:

20230624_101003.thumb.jpg.ba9d5d4a17253e9cff6d863b8724180d.jpg

LGT seemed to take everything in his stride:

20230625_095242.thumb.jpg.8d7af1b0d0d1670714f18141e1b08f14.jpg

... And where there's a will, there's a way:

20230625_191439.thumb.jpg.c513252f97ee7151af6ee01e250efa7b.jpg

I've a few more videos of Sid to go up, will add here shortly.... 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

A piccy of the climb. What isn't apparent is that various challenge trucks had sat there digging big holes before we got there.

From what I hear a very large percentage of the challenge trucks winched most of the way, whereas we all got to the very top bar one pesky little (well, big) tree root....