Too good to be true ?

smallfry

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

As they've both gone now.... was it a seller with multiple cars thousands under valued with the same description for each one? Saw one the other day with over 40 listings like it.

Not the same description, but the words and how they were used were very similar Very disparate locations.

One was a VERY nice 2012 110 pickup with a crew cab and sawtooth wheels, and other was another immaculate 110, again 2012, one was £6K the other £6.5K 

3 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

IMO I think they're usually pretty easy to spot - how about this seller then! 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/profile/1202628659/

EDIT: 200 listings! 

I agree. Easy to spot. for lots of reasons - Too cheap, descriptions generic, location of item clearly not from where the person lives

What frustrates me is it makes market place almost unusable as there is so much dross, I have started blocking the people who do this to try and cut down the amount of this rubbish I see

Just now, L19MUD said:

I agree. Easy to spot. for lots of reasons - Too cheap, descriptions generic, location of item clearly not from where the person lives

What frustrates me is it makes market place almost unusable as there is so much dross, I have started blocking the people who do this to try and cut down the amount of this rubbish I see

I've been noticing this kind of listing on and off for probably 6 months or more.... I'm sure it's getting worse! 

3 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I've been noticing this kind of listing on and off for probably 6 months or more.... I'm sure it's getting worse! 

I agree. Have just added those two people you shared to my blocked list! It does make me wonder if those people have had their accounts hacked? I like to message them now and again to play them along and waste their time 🙂

• Like 1

Having contacted a few Facebook vendors for parts and quickly determined they are fraudsters, it has become more and more apparent that almost nothing for sale on Facebook or its market place is legit - it is overwhelmingly fraud and scams.  I would only consider buying from a business on there which has a proper website and phone details, and even then exercise caution.  Anyone asking for PayPal with the “friends and family” option or for payment in crypto currency should be shot in the face.

• Like 2

Marketplace has bargains to be found but plenty of scams, some of them obvious and some not. I recently bought a pile of camping gear for £35 that included a nearly full 907 and regulator plus gas stove and good quality pans.. Going camping had been a hurried decision and the family said never again and wanted shot of the stuff as soon as possible.

I asked for an address to see a M18 impact tool as it was shown to be near me. The seller was in Luton though and feigned surprise when I sent a screen shot of the item location. "Sorry didn't realise but I can post" was the answer. Then I saw he's doing it on other items.

There are also sellers who simply don't read DMs or or don't respond. What's the point in making the listing? Others who can't get to the item right now. I recently had "it's in the van but that's at the bodyshop" and I could never get the guy to sell (£15 spring compressor - I managed without).

I do report the obvious ones like lovely £6K Defenders

• Like 3

In fairness, Messenger can be a bit strange in putting messages from strangers aside and keeping them almost hidden.  I have had that happen quite a lot as a FB page admin and it can be embarrassing when you stumble across a message that is months old that you had no notification of and is not displayed on the main Messenger screen.  But I would expect the scammers to have their privacy settings on those accounts open so that doesn’t happen.  The rest of the evasive tactics are a red flag as big as the one flying over the CCP “parliament”.

• Like 1

if you want a real giggle, tell them you will pay cash on collection. Then sit back and watch the myriad of excuses they come up with ... Yes I know I'm a sad individual for doing this, but if they are going to waste my time, I'm gonna waste theirs in spades. 

• Haha 4

On 8/18/2023 at 7:53 AM, landroversforever said:

As they've both gone now.... was it a seller with multiple cars thousands under valued with the same description for each one? Saw one the other day with over 40 listings like it.

I'm friendly with the local community crime prevention/wildlife protection (its Northumberland, they multi task) Officer who leases with the vehicle crime dept on adverts such as this, there are more scams than actual deals on Faceache these days

• Like 1