Diesel lift pump Defender 200tdi

Hello,

I think the lift pump is not functioning properly on the Defender 200tdi engine. No diesel is sucked up from the tank by the lift pump. I ordered a new one, but that didn't work either. Chance that I ordered the wrong version? I ordered parts number STC1190.

What I tested is the following.

- engine running with old pump, no diesel was pumped up
- new lift pump installed, no difference
- with a new lift pump, checked whether there is suction on the line that runs to the lift pump. I feel nothing.
- looked at whether a spacer should be put in between, but it doesn't seem like it. On the block you will see a metal one installed.

What can it be?

IMG_0024.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0026.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

The mechanical lift pumps are never impressive performers even when working. When the pump is off the engine, if the pump will give suction when the lever is operated, the pump is probably OK. 

Are you confident that the pipework to the tank is clear? If there is a blockage, the lift pump will not overcome it. Are the filters OK for the same reason? 

As the quality of lift pumps is not great, the electric solution may be the better one long term.

Thanks for the repies! I’ve checked all the pipes and filters. They’re not blocked. I used a brake suction device to fill all the lines and filters with diesel. That helped a lot to get the lift pump up and running. Fingers crossed.

Interesting video. I had a lift pump fail, as in stopped pumping, which shows as the engine needing several turns before it starts. I believe one of the valves in the pump failed. The engine still ran, as the high-pressure injection pump is self-priming. I don't see an electric pump being more reliable personally, as it is always electrics that let you down in my experience.

3 hours ago, Daan said:

Interesting video. I had a lift pump fail, as in stopped pumping, which shows as the engine needing several turns before it starts. I believe one of the valves in the pump failed. The engine still ran, as the high-pressure injection pump is self-priming. I don't see an electric pump being more reliable personally, as it is always electrics that let you down in my experience.

I was changing lift pumps every 6-12 months. They were Delphi or Genuine. Some failed due to the diapragm splitting - thats a non running vehicle as diesel is peeing out down the engine block amd not getting to the FIP. I run a lot on SVO at 100% which possibly didnt help the diaphragm. Since fitting the electric one in 2015 I havent touched it. I wouldnt call that less reliable. 

I suspect a lot of lift pumps fail because they need the spacer between them and the block side plate.  Missing that spacer would result in excessive throw of the lever and over stress of the diaphragm or lever pivot.  There doesn’t appear to be much information available on which pumps need the spacer and which don’t, hence it being so commonly omitted.

Could be.  Might also be a 200vs300 thing, or even a Tdivs12j/19j issue, as they are all similar and will bolt up the same.  This is the problem - nobody seems to know which engine should have which pump and how to tell them apart.  Part numbers should do the job, but the suppliers seem to be making the same spec for all applications.