Lift on a trailer - interesting idea, not sure about execution

The big support under the jacked car should mean its stable.... looking at the clearance between the trailer wheels and the gaurds I'd almost say it has airbags or hydralics and is sitting down 

Personally I wouldn't like my toy up there without something more in the way of stability, that said I'd build the suspenion on the trailer to lower the chassis too the ground it has its own power so you can power air or oil for suspension, one or two adjustable legs to level it on uneven ground and your able to get race cars and boy racer lowered stuff on the trailer 

Be interesting to see if you could get it certified for working comercialy without being anchored

I enjoyed the comment responding to "not sure of the execution" - at least it will be a public execution.

There's something about not having some kind of swing-up pole with a screw ajdustment to meet the bottom of the lift, or another way of providing a failsafe against it coming back down that makes me uncomfortalble.

45 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I enjoyed the comment responding to "not sure of the execution" - at least it will be a public execution.

There's something about not having some kind of swing-up pole with a screw ajdustment to meet the bottom of the lift, or another way of providing a failsafe against it coming back down that makes me uncomfortalble.

Scissors usually have a ratchet mechanism. 

• Like 1

Would be very useful for an amateur race team or such. Easy to change tyres, work on brakes and suspension etc. The scissor lift should be fine and probably more useful than a 4 poster. But as above I'd want a good way to set the trailer stable and level, not rely on suspension or even tyres, ideally an hydraulic support on each corner or on the base of the lift.

In Silverstone I saw a very low, movable scissor lift that was slid under the racer from both sides after it parked up in the paddock. Powered from an external hydraulic pump. Seemed very easy to use and ideal for different circumstances, just needs a reasonably level surface. No doubt expensive though...

There was someone at the Belgium National (many years ago) with a trailer mounted lift.  I thought it was a great idea - particularly as their vehicle arrived on top of it as it served as a trailer too.

It wouldn't be particularly hard to build.

6 hours ago, Escape said:

In Silverstone I saw a very low, movable scissor lift that was slid under the racer from both sides after it parked up in the paddock. Powered from an external hydraulic pump. Seemed very easy to use and ideal for different circumstances, just needs a reasonably level surface. No doubt expensive though...

Quick Jacks? 

18 hours ago, simonr said:

There was someone at the Belgium National (many years ago) with a trailer mounted lift.  I thought it was a great idea - particularly as their vehicle arrived on top of it as it served as a trailer too.

It wouldn't be particularly hard to build.

With fold-up sides to make a roof/awning while parked up and a closed trailer for the road, I reckon you'd be onto a winner.

• Like 1

@landroversforever I didn't notice the brand, could very well be Quick Jacks, very similar to what google showed me. 😉

@JohnnoK on a closed trailer you would need the roof to raise as well for clearance. And the sides would have to open completely, to avoid access issues. A closed trailer always seems so confined to me, even the ones with big doors or a completely lifting cover. Fold-up sides to make an awning would be a win/win though. That would add weight and complexity of course. I typically prefer to add lightness and simplify. 🙂

2 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

With fold-up sides to make a roof/awning while parked up and a closed trailer for the road, I reckon you'd be onto a winner.

Interesting idea.

IIRC, the one in Belgium lifted the treads of the trailer above the axles + hitch giving access to the underside in the same way as a 4 post lift.  You still had to step over the axles and the sides were partially occluded by the lift scissor mechanism - so access wasn't as good as a regular lift but way better than lying in the mud!

At the point you guys are talking why not buy a bus and build it as the motorsport hauler/cabin
Years ago now a company I had to deal with for work was setting up on for the owner. The cabin was flasher than my home lol and there was a bay at the back that the trials toy could be parked but was setup similar to a 4 post hoist with a geni and all the kit to work on it.... they were talking about adding a canvas pop-out to make the workshop all weather 

Just on that what has happened to the binky boys truck they were building 

Edited by De Ranged

Why stop at a bus? A full semi will offer more room, you can disconnect the tractor unit for a quick run to the pub shops and you can have an awning big enough to park 4 cars (with quick jack of course), so the trailer can be all workshop. 🙂 Yes, another idea from Silverstone.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Escape said:

@JohnnoK on a closed trailer you would need the roof to raise as well for clearance. And the sides would have to open completely, to avoid access issues. A closed trailer always seems so confined to me, even the ones with big doors or a completely lifting cover. Fold-up sides to make an awning would be a win/win though. That would add weight and complexity of course. I typically prefer to add lightness and simplify. 🙂

You are correct about the roof, I had only got as far as thinking about the sides.

The roof could be off poles on the ends of the ramp sections with the sides either attached or separate. Attached is a quantum leap of complexity to raise and lower, though, so best keep it simple (and lighter)...👍😁