Series 2 body on 110 chassis with Disco V8/auto.

Edit... Can I add text to each pic somehow? 

This is going to be a slow one....🙃

2000 TD5 wagon is the chassis, axles, steering & bulkhead.

1998 Disco for engine and auto 'box.

A Series 2 and 3 for body parts.

Truck cab is being extended 150-200mm.

Chassis has had 400mm chopped between rear cross member and rear axle.

P38 front air springs in the rear.

Range Rover classic Suffix A coils up front.

Subaru BRZ heated seats.

Wide rims from a 130, 225/95/16 Bridgestone's.

I need to move the engine/'box back at least 100mm. (from its mockup position now)

To do this means chopping my "just" rebuilt bulkhead and removing the mid crossmember.

Then I can fabricate engine/'box mounts.

Then make good the rear of the chassis. shorten tub, fit S2 front end.

My S2 donor needs some serious body work. I can buy much better wings but big $$ and none nearby. So, hammer & dolly it is!

Here are some pix of "it" and the donors....

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

Edited by TD5toV8110
  • Like 2

S2 is a gonner, chassis/bulkhead totally rotten every panel bent. Maybe sell engine/'box to someone.

Roofless one, again chassis/bulkhead rotten. Sold roof. every panel stoved in (cows I think...)

Blue one is ok ish, but Holden 6 engine. Popular over here back in the day. Now everyone wants originality.

Looks like it's had a bucket of body filler at some point... It is going to be my tub donor! (and sell roof)

I've pre sold two gearboxes, just need to remove them and get on a pallet.

Had a hip replacement two weeks ago, so apparently can't "overdo it" 

Physio Nazis monitor my steps via witchcraft, limited to 2000 per day....I did 7000 one day and 4500 yesterday so I'm in trouble for my Monday Zoom consult....

This squashed me 6 months ago...image.jpeg.4e3395cf9b2ce32851f71c034388cca4.jpeg

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TD5toV8110 said:

S2 is a gonner, chassis/bulkhead totally rotten every panel bent. Maybe sell engine/'box to someone.

Roofless one, again chassis/bulkhead rotten. Sold roof. every panel stoved in (cows I think...)

Blue one is ok ish, but Holden 6 engine. Popular over here back in the day. Now everyone wants originality.

Looks like it's had a bucket of body filler at some point... It is going to be my tub donor! (and sell roof)

I've pre sold two gearboxes, just need to remove them and get on a pallet.

Had a hip replacement two weeks ago, so apparently can't "overdo it" 

Physio Nazis monitor my steps via witchcraft, limited to 2000 per day....I did 7000 one day and 4500 yesterday so I'm in trouble for my Monday Zoom consult....

This squashed me 6 months ago...image.jpeg.4e3395cf9b2ce32851f71c034388cca4.jpeg

off-road tyres don't mean you should :mellow:, speaking as a Lawn mower design engineer ( in a previous life) 

I'll dig out some pic's of my series 109 on coils with a wide body and share with you , this is an interesting build.

Here you are 

15-01-07_1308.jpg.021bf2a4c33d4ba55a6f0b302eed6109.jpg

15-01-07_1310.jpg.b604c3f2530a10b74f7cb81b0c3fa933.jpg

15-01-07_1314.jpg.4d5b9570d41631ba9f0144a186080dab.jpg

DSC01547.JPG.7f833201216e5ace848e87c6dc4b2017.JPG

DSCF0028.JPG.5a0867dd4b72d27e951c304e32f9c6de.JPG

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 wipers!🤩

I live on 12 acres of hill. from the house to the creek at the bottom is 400 metres out and 100 metres down! (all uneven)

Need to keep a fire break, The Grillo is the best steep terrain mower.

Ironically, I was mowing the only bit of flat grass on the property, then fell off the edge....🤕

• Sad 2

It's 6.5" wider and with a standard height screen it had to have 4 wipers , they are a bit slow when it's not soaking :mellow:

mowing on slopes or where there are slopes is not easy, you're lucky the deck didn't get involved.

You need one of these

DSC01795.thumb.JPG.1b1cad9cd49d11bc8b8cfc19c6c7946f.JPG

:mellow:

keep the healing going ....and the build

Steve

• Like 1

Rover V8 question.

Going to fit a remote oil filter housing. 

I want the slimmest one, some I've seen take up nearly as much space as the filter.

Also want to plumb in an oil cooler.

What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to do this? 

My engine has the filter pointing forward at 45° ish 

Edit...

Just looked, my filter housing has two ports on it already for the cooler!

So a simple side port adaptor will be perfect! (Cheers Bowie!)

Cheers 

Dave

Edited by TD5toV8110

The radiator has to sit right where the steering box is. (to achieve lights in grille)

I want the biggest radiator possible.

The Disco radiator is massive, a 1/3 of it would live in the left wing!

Current favorite is a 4 row alloy unit for a Toyota 60 series.

A separate oil cooler can sit in front of it between the headlights.

Was considering a P38 steering box mod, but best part of $1000  to get about 100x400mm extra rad surface area!

Edited by TD5toV8110

I take it the Toyota rads have no provision? 

The alternative oil filter this this one, I believe, I use them now after ditching the remote filter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303441605081?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=j2b836z-SD6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=AFY_9vavSse&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

10 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

The radiator has to sit right where the steering box is. (to achieve lights in grille)

I want the biggest radiator possible.

The Disco radiator is massive, a 1/3 of it would live in the left wing!

Current favorite is a 4 row alloy unit for a Toyota 60 series.

A separate oil cooler can sit in front of it between the headlights.

Was considering a P38 steering box mod, but best part of $1000  to get about 100x400mm extra rad surface area!

The P38 steering box won’t fit without a fair bit of chassis bracket meddling and a longer drag link, but that shouldn’t be too hard.  However, in addition to increasing space in the engine bay for all sorts of things in addition to the bigger rad, it is a much more robust and reliable unit than the Adwest type of the Discovery/RRC/Defender and gives (at least in my opinion) much nicer feel and behaviour.  The difference in feel between my wife’s 2009 90, with what seemed excessively light and twitchy steering, and the P38 steering in my 109 with even lighter but smooth and very stable feeling steering was chalk and cheese…

• Like 1

Engineering down under is very strict.

To modify steering is a big no.

Or an expensive yes, design specs, NDT of any welds etc.

I was considering the kit from Blackbird industries in the UK.

The R&D has been done and it's bolt on, no welding, so could have convinced my engineer.

This is a very budget build. The kit and box would have cost me over $1000. Not worth it for me!

The 4 core 60 series radiator will do the job aided by an independent oil cooler.

I can sell the Disco radiator to a Range Rover Classic owner! (It's old school with brass tanks)

Cheers

Dave

The Series 2 is now called Tetanus! (many cuts to my knuckles!)

Every effing bolt holding the front end on is a 15 minute job.....

Angle grinder when I can.

Or hammer the socket on, hammer a spanner on, then just shear them off.

Then off to the vice to punch them out.😠

A mate reckons he can get me some better wings, but he's dragging his heels....

So I'll persevere with what I have for now.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by TD5toV8110

24 minutes ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Yup.

Not a chance, you would have to trailer it to private land!

Check out this "Wildfing"   Home made portals!

Built by Bill VanSnorkel , an outstanding bush Engineer who has posted on here several times , it has a super low crawler gear with the portals built from bits of Series transfer boxes with fabbed casings . 

...This balanced articulation is something many strive for and some achieve 

An amazing build.

Steve 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 8:29 PM, steve b said:

I'll dig out some pic's of my series 109 on coils with a wide body and share with you , this is an interesting build.

Can I be surely not the first to request that @steve b do a build thread or something on such a unique truck!

On the oil filter - the slimmest possible way on earlier front covers is the replacement pump housing:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/rover-v8-oil-pump-cover-m-v8-cover

Which removes a big chunk, however it will foul the cross-bolts on a 4.0 or 4.6 (ask me how I know). There's Mocal and Flotec variants, I think I had the Flotec, the Mocal *might* work but I'd be very careful - this thread seems to suggest it can be bolted on but only just:

https://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=75708#p75708

• Like 1