Offroad Driver Training Recommendations?

Chainlinephil

Hi, 

I want to get my wife out on a 4x4 offroad course and am looking for recommendations, preferably using a Defender (OG) which is what we have. 
I have seen ProTrax, Deepdale and WhiteCliff but nothing else.

any comments or wider recommends.

Either a half or full day intro 1:1. 

many thanks

1 hour ago, Chainlinephil said:

Any other contributions? I need to choose something by close tomorrow if it's going to be a present! Nothing back from my enquiry to Offroadconsultancy yet. I will try and call. 

@Nonimouse ?

What are you hoping to get from the course? Is it how to operate your own vehicle. How to drive off road in general or something more specific? Where are you in the country?

If it is about driving technique and ability. An alternative might be to join a local competitive club and have a go at a Tyro or RTV trial. Clubs are friendly and will normally help people learn and improve their driving and have someone ride along for guidance. Often no better experience than the real thing. Might not be what you are looking for if meant as a present. But probably a better learning experience if that is the end goal.

• Like 1

Offroad driving techniques and and yes own vehicle, my wife has limited experience off road and none with a defender, some with the AWD Sprinter. 

For me I have plenty of offroad experience and vehicle handling and but not the right kind, mainly rally and 2 wheels,  so not obstacles with 4 wheels and low speed inclines/declines and side angles so knowing what the safe limits are for a Defender and when/where high/low would be beneficial. A club is on the cards but some training in a similar vehicle first I think is the right step, for both of us ultimately. 

Roughly whereabouts in the UK are you? Only club I've got direct experience of is Shire LRC who are based around southampton, lots of very experienced drivers there who would happily show you the ropes. @FridgeFreezer and @miketomcat are on here.

Experience of rally and two wheels will be a massive help, as you'll be used to reading the ground. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 12:50 PM, Chainlinephil said:

Any other contributions? I need to choose something by close tomorrow if it's going to be a present! Nothing back from my enquiry to Offroadconsultancy yet. I will try and call. 

@Nonimouse ?

I have a feeling he's taken some time off over Christmas to go to Australia.

If there is an urgency, I can dust off my Off Road Instructor badge and meet up with you at a 4x4 Days open day in Feb/March. I don't charge anymore, but do have over 35 years of training experience, with over 3000 candidates trained. 4x4 Days are run near Shepton Mallet, in Somerset

• Like 1