Not good. Disco swept away...

Shep The Disco

On 12/29/2023 at 8:21 PM, miketomcat said:

In reality it's a tragedy caused by poor judgement and bad luck.

Mike

Yep.

I would expect there will be an investigation and vehicle inspection at some point. let's hope for all at stake everything is above board however I think the ultimate responsibility is on the driver.

The press are loving the chance to take a big hard poke at the 4x4 community

Sadly thanks to Social Media and even people like JLR, folk just don't give water the respect it deserves. Added to which there is a lot less common sense about now

• Like 2

I'm unsure how the number of wheels driven has a significant impact on how likely a car is to be swept away.

A very sad story, I hope it does make people think before charging through flowing water.

40 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I'm unsure how the number of wheels driven has a significant impact on how likely a car is to be swept away.

A very sad story, I hope it does make people think before charging through flowing water.

The gutter press have managed to make it sound as if all 4x4 drivers are to blame.

I thought the death of that wee lassie on Strata Florida, a few years back, would reduce the stupidity, but it didn't. Now three blokes are dead, possibly three families mourning. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Nonimouse said:

The gutter press have managed to make it sound as if all 4x4 drivers are to blame.

I manage to avoid most of that through good choices, even more reason to stay away, it seems. 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

I manage to avoid most of that through good choices, even more reason to stay away, it seems. 

There were a lot of articles on social media. Had to stop reading them after a short while

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I assume the thought process was that it's a big 2-ton brick with a lift kit and they'd likely driven it through water (although not fast-flowing) enough times to not fully appreciate the force of water on the move.

As some eejit proved yesterday - you can drive windscreen-deep through still water, but that's not trying to pick you up and push you along with a force of many tonnes.

1 minute ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I assume the thought process was that it's a big 2-ton brick with a lift kit and they'd likely driven it through water (although not fast-flowing) enough times to not fully appreciate the force of water on the move.

As some eejit proved yesterday - you can drive windscreen-deep through still water, but that's not trying to pick you up and push you along with a force of many tonnes.

It was a more a sarcastic remark that there's always '4x4' rather than 'car' swept away in these articles.... I mean they wouldn't write 'supermini swept away in 4" of flood water', would they?

We do floods round here - mainly because 'around here' was an inland sea.  Back in 2014, when 65 square miles was flooded to a depth of up to 11', I experienced being pushed sideways in my 110 by water less than 18" deep. Simply because of  the tarmac surface underneath and the length of the crossing (approx 1 mile). The flow wasn't crazy. You could stand up in it easily, proved by me walking the crossing before driving (it had culverts in the road and if they get damaged, it gets nasty). Yet I have crossed rivers, in foreign places, where I have had the water up the base of the windscreen (needs must when the Devil wees in your teapot). It's down to what the vehicle is driving on, under the water.

In this case, it appears the vehicle wasn't just pushed over, but once on it's side, was swept downstream a reasonable distance, to end up in a pool of water deeper than the width of the vehicle. That's some force of water!

Certainly in Russia we put the doors on the first click before entering the river, this allowed the truck to sink and keep contact with the bottom. Even so I was still pushed sideways. It was however 3ft deep and flowing, ash was walking it in front of me and the winch line was already out just in case.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It always pays to 'walk the course" first when you're not sure, at least get out the car and have a good look.  I came very very close to a spectacular untimely demise doing the same thing across what I thought was a ford in South Africa, but turned out to be a sunken bridge in a very badly flooded and fast flowing river which we only realised when the bonnet disappeared on entry.  Don't know how we or the car I was leading got across other than we were very heavily laden and water poured in. I drive round them these days. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shep The Disco said:

Thing is here is will the driver be prosecuted for casing death?

Not sure how that works with him also being gone but surely there must be some sort of reasoning there..🤔

Coroner will probably state 'Death by misadventure'. Even if police find that the vehicle was a death trap, there's no-one to point the finger at to be punished

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Coroner will probably state 'Death by misadventure'. Even if police find that the vehicle was a death trap, there's no-one to point the finger at to be punished

Hmmm that's kind of what I thought.

Sad times as the vehicle was obviously kept going . No advisories for years.

12 minutes ago, Escape said:

Relatives of the passengers might try and put the blame on the driver to try and get some money out of it.

I suspect you are right.  In fairness, who can blame them for trying to deal with impending financial issues with an insurance claim.

I'm sure the passengers weren't forced into the car, quite possibly they were egging on the driver. So I don't see much fairness in one grieving family trying to get money from another.

I think speculation and conjecture on this matter is rather pointless as no-one survived to tell the real facts.

I also feel it insensitive to the families and close friends connected to the deceased. 

All of us understand the risks of deep water and worse fast flowing deep water, or should do.....1 cubic metre of water is 1000kg eh.....

A sobering reminder of how wrong it can go

Steve

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, steve b said:

I think speculation and conjecture on this matter is rather pointless as no-one survived to tell the real facts.

I also feel it insensitive to the families and close friends connected to the deceased. 

All of us understand the risks of deep water and worse fast flowing deep water, or should do.....1 cubic metre of water is 1000kg eh.....

A sobering reminder of how wrong it can go

Steve

Agreed.

• Like 1