Tyre advice

My 12.50's are a bit wide really. 110's look good on 255 to 285's better if they are 33" though. 285/75x16 are a nice size (also 33's) if you want a bit more grr, ibex look silly on anything less than 285 and 33". I'd like to borrow a set of 33/10.50x15 to try on mine, in a perfect world I'd swap to 16" beadlock Mach 5's so I could run 285's. But unless I find someone who wants to swap it's unlikely.

Mike

19 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Disco 200tdi, defender lt77 and 1.4 lt230 on 255/85x16.

My ibex is disco 200tdi, disco lt77 and 1.4 lt230 on 33/12.50x15.

Oddly the ibex is quicker off the mark but cruise's at 70, the 110 feels slightly taller geared but feels like it's screaming over 65 compared with the ibex but will happily exceed the speed limit. It can only be down to differing ratios between disco and defender gearboxes, the tyres are near enough the same size (110's possibly slightly taller).

Either way it's what I consider the perfect ratio, tall enough to cruise but low enough to tow. A little more power would be nice but it works really well.

Mike

Defender and Disco LT-77’s have the same ratio. So the only difference is 32.8” tyres vs 33.1”. Which isn’t huge in terms of rpm. 

Pre-Defender Ninety’s such as a TD have shorter gearing. 

So what's the story on an ex MOD middle 80s 110 LT77? Are they different? I was told they were the same as the early Defender and only went back to what the ratio the transfer box was or whatever diffs the military see fit to put in place

Edited by stevebus

3 hours ago, western said:

My 110 runs 255/85s

IMG_20211128_131943.jpg

I like the look of them, they fill the wheel arch nicely but don't look like your trying to say I've got FO tyres, only my opinion of course 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Defender and Disco LT-77’s have the same ratio. So the only difference is 32.8” tyres vs 33.1”. Which isn’t huge in terms of rpm. 

Pre-Defender Ninety’s such as a TD have shorter gearing. 

Our 110 is an 83 but the gearbox came from a different source with no history so it could be anything, it certainly feels different. My ibex and TSD's feel similar gearing (lt77 Vs r380) but the 110 does not, it's not enough to be a problem it's just different.

Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevebus said:

I like the look of them, they fill the wheel arch nicely but don't look like your trying to say I've got FO tyres, only my opinion of course 

Gives me a bit more under the diffs, plus my 110 is not on standard springs, I fitted OME springs years ago to restore axle to bump stop gap & to carry the weight of all my rally recovery kit & winch. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mad_pete said:

I currently have 265 / 75.  Maybe it’s not as wide as I was thinking. Use is low mileage casual off roading.  

IMG_8182.thumb.jpeg.85904739019f217251e7342bef616a51.jpeg

Those look like KM1s, they'll be an old tyre by now.

Just put my 90 on 255s, the visual difference is quite striking compared to how they sit on a 110.

16 hours ago, western said:

My 110 runs 255/85s

IMG_20211128_131943.jpg

That's a very cool recovery trailer! I have never seen something like that before.

More on topic, another vote for 255/85R16. They look just right, give good clearance and gearing worked just fine on my TD5.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

29 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Just put my 90 on 255s, the visual difference is quite striking compared to how they sit on a 110.

This statement is worthless without pics. 

6 hours ago, Escape said:

That's a very cool recovery trailer! I have never seen something like that before.

More on topic, another vote for 255/85R16. They look just right, give good clearance and gearing worked just fine on my TD5.

My trailer is a heavily modified Harvey Frost Mark 2 towboy, we widened the axle, changed to 4 stud hubs, wheels, 10 inch diameter, made the speclift with help of a friend, it's been in that form for over 20 years, 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

255 85 on my 110, switched from bfg km2 which were a terrible tyre to toyo open country mt which is a much better tyre

20230708_113955.jpg

I've always been a big fan of Goodrich, long lasting and at the heady heights of 60mph have always stuck to the road on a fast corner, but it does seem not just from this forum these Toyo tyres seem to have quite a following and having a quick look are virtually half the price.

That's a nice looking wagon fella, hope there wasn't any horrible sod pulling you on the no parking bit, weren't you paying attention😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevebus said:

I've always been a big fan of Goodrich, long lasting and at the heady heights of 60mph have always stuck to the road on a fast corner, but it does seem not just from this forum these Toyo tyres seem to have quite a following and having a quick look are virtually half the price.

That's a nice looking wagon fella, hope there wasn't any horrible sod pulling you on the no parking bit, weren't you paying attention😁

Afraid I’m the opposite, I think the Toyo is a dreadful mud terrain and worse than many AT’s in the mud!! Not a tyre I’d want to spend money on. Truly awful on anything other than tarmac or gravel. 

7 hours ago, mad_pete said:

So no real bad choices but for low mileage casual off roading  on a 90 with Mach 5 and slight lift 

255/85R16 Toyo mud terrain's is a good way to go. 

Depends what you mean by off roading. 

On other tyres nobody else struggled. But the Toyo MT’s needed pulling out in the end. Pretty rubbish in the mud tbh. 

53 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Afraid I’m the opposite, I think the Toyo is a dreadful mud terrain and worse than many AT’s in the mud!! Not a tyre I’d want to spend money on. Truly awful on anything other than tarmac or gravel. 

Good man I'll take that on board, not that I've made any choices yet but I can't fault the Goodrich tyres I've got, superb! I'm only listening and taking on board advice from what I have seen on forums, I suppose it'll all be down to personal preference at the end of the day, I still do like the Goodrich 

9 hours ago, stevebus said:

Problem with the bfg is they are a hard compound off rubber which makes them last for ever, 

It's probably worth mentioning that the tipping point was when I drove to do my engine conversion it was still td5 powered, after the conversion on the way home with only the engine & gearbox changed,  it was a revelation how much background noise was hidden by the td5, 

7 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Depends what you mean by off roading. 

On other tyres nobody else struggled. But the Toyo MT’s needed pulling out in the end. Pretty rubbish in the mud tbh. 

My first thoughts there are look like tyre pressure's are a bit hard & too low a gear chosen, 

6 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

My first thoughts there are look like tyre pressure's are a bit hard & too low a gear chosen, 

No it wasn't driver, everyone else would be using the same gear/speed. You can't go too quick on a trials course as you won't make it through the gates. Tyre pressures are also set by the rules, min is 21psi. However in my experience unless you are dropping them down to 15psi or lower, 21psi will perform about the same as 30psi on most surfaces. I'd guess tyres where at 28psi knowing the owner of the vehicle.

Compared to AT tyres the Toyo MT is ok, but compared to other MT's they fall short when used in mud... imo backed by knowing multiple people who have this tread, seeing them used side by side with other vehicles running different brands/treads, having used the Toyo MT myself and having access to a shed of maybe 20 different mud terrains and ATs. They aren't bad on road or maybe even touring/laning use. But if you plan to spend time in more serious off road situations there are other much better tread patterns. Sadly however not in the 255/85 size.

13 hours ago, stevebus said:

Good man I'll take that on board, not that I've made any choices yet but I can't fault the Goodrich tyres I've got, superb! I'm only listening and taking on board advice from what I have seen on forums, I suppose it'll all be down to personal preference at the end of the day, I still do like the Goodrich 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not really bashing on the Toyo's, I don't mind the brand at all. Just put a set of Toyo AT3's on the Freelander. The MT is IMO still really an AT classification tyre despite its name. If you are only after ATs, then certainly consider them. And if you fancy 255/85's your choices are hugely limited. I actually opted for 33.10.50R15 as it was cheaper to buy 4 new rims and tyres than get the BFG's in the 255/85 size and I just didn't fancy the Toyo MTs.