Wiring looms - replacement

Good afternoon all.  

I wish to buy a new full wiring loom for my defender 110 hardtop 1990. I have been looking for weeks on the web (and searched here) but cannot find a supplier of

full and complete looms. I am ordering a new bulkhead and intend to also work on the chassis once body is stripped and removed. So the right time to replace all wiring.

Can any one here let me know who makes/ sells them and if possible post up a link.

Thanks in advance.

Lawrence owner of Barny.

20 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

I got mine from Autosparks.

Thank you i will call them..........    ok called and spoke to wayne but they do not have on their system. they do have the engine harness but not full loom.

I'd say make your own. It's a great opportunity to improve the electrical system through better earths and better/no connections. I did mine a few years ago and it was the best thing I've done to upgrade my 110.

In my opinion, the Autospark wiring harnesses are ok, but not really good. There are only a few copper strands in the cables, which makes them rigid and prone to breakage. No idea at what time this happens. No idea if this is really relevant. I would still seal each cable end separately (with grease or wax) to prevent moisture creeping under the insulation.
For your information:

20 hours ago, DefcoL said:

Good afternoon all.  

I wish to buy a new full wiring loom for my defender 110 hardtop 1990. I have been looking for weeks on the web (and searched here) but cannot find a supplier of

full and complete looms. I am ordering a new bulkhead and intend to also work on the chassis once body is stripped and removed. So the right time to replace all wiring.

Can any one here let me know who makes/ sells them and if possible post up a link.

Thanks in advance.

Lawrence owner of Barny.

You do realize that a Defender doesn't have one full loom, it is made up of sections, the main loom being the bulkhead loom, then the chassis loom for the rear, the engine loom, and on some models separate front wing looms. 

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-body-electrics/batteries-harnesses

You may find some places having old stock like thexmod.com or Hobson Brothers, I think they are Hobson industries now, otherwise Autosparks make just about any of them to suit. I have just fitted 300tdi looms to my early v8110, but had to make my own engine loom, the rest were from Autosparks, I got mine made to match  my 300tdi so both my 110s have the same basic wiring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul C said:

I have a new PRC8243 bulkhead loom that I bought but didnt use for my project, I am not sure if that is what yours is, but it is 200tdi. 

if the topic starter is not interested , i might be 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:19 AM, Paul C said:

I have a new PRC8243 bulkhead loom that I bought but didnt use for my project, I am not sure if that is what yours is, but it is 200tdi. 

Message sent.

On 2/6/2024 at 5:05 PM, vulcan bomber said:

Can you not make your own? I plan to do this on my 110 one day 

it is a time scale issue for me, once the old chassis and bulkhead removed, there will be less than a week to get it all back together and road fit. I have never made even a simple loom, let alon a complicated one.

Well for me it will be complicated to do and collect all the correct fittings in time. So a quick fit with all new parts is the ticket for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Defender 110 CSW with 300Tdi.

In the process of my total body rebuild (Charles Atlas - look out) I ripped out the rat’s nest of all my wiring, much my own additions, and decided to replace it all.  Three parameters I worked to was that every consumer of 4 amps or more would be fed through a relay, every consumer would have an earth (ground) back to a bus bar and then to the battery, and I would include a dash warning light test at ignition On..  These requirements resulted in a HUGE numbers of wires and a massive amount of computer based detail logging.  In retrospect I would have been much smarter to buy all the various looms and add earths, for example.  It would have saved me much time and might have been cheaper.  Still, that’s what I’ve done and I’m now at the stage of connecting a zillion wires from the dash panel and a Mudpod panel to the bulkhead mounted fuse panel.  Happy days!

OK, from my experience I’d recommend buying the loom you need and augmenting it, if necessary.  Don’t ry to make your own.  If anyone wants to know more about this stage of my rebuild project, just let me know.

Mike

Made a few looms myself and it is not that difficult if you're not into originality. Earth is the big issue with the standard loom so that must be solved. A label printer is a huge help, as is a database / spreadsheet with what is what.

Having done a big rewire myself, I totally agree with the above point.

Sort out the earths properly so aren't reliant on earthing through the bodywork

Lable and take photos of everything because you won't remember quite where how wire x fed into the loom in place y or z.

Give very careful consideration to each connector, do you really need it? Next time I'd delete as many as possible and cut the wires and fit a connector later if I had to.

Totally agree with keeping detailed records, far more than you think at the time are necessary.  Not having ready access to all the LR original wire colours and gauges in the lengths I’d need them I totally disregarded colours.  The way I identified wires was by numbering them.  I bought from Ebay a couple of sets of 0-9 numbers, 100 of each.  These I slipped onto the wire at each end and I then covered each with clear heat shrink tubing.  This kept the number, of three or four digits, legible and allowed me to slide the number set along the wire if I needed to shorten the wire.

Mike

I made supplementary looms for headlights, fog lights and horn, used fused relays and fused the main feed with the connection at the alternator,  the relays are mounted behind the headlight support panel, the wiring is fully plugged in so can easily be removed to put it back to factory. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Or a friend's 90 which was owned by an auto electrician.... every single cable was plain black :( 

Years ago I made someone's day by giving them a few bags of fibre optic cable sleeves that had pre-printed numbers on them (0-100), he was colour blind and all the wires in his truck were red because, well, what's the point if you can't see the colours? :lol:

I agree that making a loom to your own spec form scratch is about the same amount of work as buying one & then modifying it anyway, I tried it once and vowed to never bother again.

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Or a friend's 90 which was owned by an auto electrician.... every single cable was plain black :( 

I know someone who wired everything in red high amperage cable .. 

I remember looking into the back of the dash and thinking ‘Oh my god….’