EBC Green Stuff pads Squealing

tuko

While renovating the brake system on my 110, following recommendations I installed EBC green stuff pads front and back. For the most part of the first 2~3 months the brakes have been quite and effective with many many miles driven this summer in Sweden and in Norway. Now that I'm home basically the 110 is parked in the driveway only being driven one or 2 times a week, the brake have begun to squeal. Every time I touch the brake pedal I'm greeted with the squealing of 4 unhappy brake rotors. 

I'm wondering what to do? Is it from the lack of usage that I get the squealing? Do I need to be more aggressive on the pedal to maybe remove the layer that is causing the squealing? OR would installing the anti squeal shims be the answer to all my questions? Anyone else run into this same issue with Green Stuff pads? 

BTW, the brakes are an improvement from last year but I still have one more item to replace and it's the original G-valve to the proper proportioning valve for rear disc brakes. 

Todd.

Did you put the anti-squeal sticky pads on the back of the pads before fitting?

I've run them for years on the 109 and it's never squealed, it often sits for many months between outings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Did you put the anti-squeal sticky pads on the back of the pads before fitting?

I've run them for years on the 109 and it's never squealed, it often sits for many months between outings.

There was nothing extra in the box with the pads other than a sticker. The pads if I remember correctly had the anti squeal pads built in the rear of the pads. 

Yep, schmoo is preapplied, nice thick pad of it. 

No issues with squealing here, currently got green in my audi having been terrified of the red price when I need to swap discs. 

Getting them nice and hot a few times is part of the break in procedure, check the leaflet that came with the pads... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've never conditioned any of mine, just throw them in & drive, they always seem fine.

I drove easy on the pads around the local area for several weeks before vacation, where they did get a workout in the mountains in Norway. But even saying that, there was no issues with squealing til after being home and the 110 sitting for longer periods. 

On 8/23/2024 at 1:17 PM, Nonimouse said:

whip them out, slap some copper slip on the back face, not the front face; then whack them back in. Problem solved

As long as I keep away from the GIn bottle, we are OK. LOL

• Like 1

I got to the brakes this weekend and to my surprise the fiber glued on shims were damaged by the pistons. 

1000012009.jpg.8c6e0c215e19bf2c9dd82de5e3e16697.jpg

1000012006.thumb.jpg.b1104f4190960c6e90739f648232b978.jpg

Not completely around the entire piston but enough of the fiber material was basically gone, the pistons were basically stuck to the back of the pads and this is most likely what was causing the squealing. Using brake kleen I removed all the glue that was remaining, slapped a healthy coat of copper paste then reinstalled the pads but with a set of anti vibration shims. 

1000012008.jpg.91261e169396cff992a9d1f659927532.jpg

Job done, now I have quiet brakes again.

Todd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had Greenstuff pads on my Cosworth Capri but they were rubbish for that vehicle so I threw them away and fitted Mintex which were a great improvement. Completely different motor though 🙂

• Like 1

A mate uses yellow stuff on his 4.6 RRC and is very pleased with it. Before I used green stuff and didn't have complaints, now I also have yellow sets ready for both the P38 and Esprit, but sadly neither is on the road yet...

34 minutes ago, Escape said:

A mate uses yellow stuff on his 4.6 RRC and is very pleased with it. Before I used green stuff and didn't have complaints, now I also have yellow sets ready for both the P38 and Esprit, but sadly neither is on the road yet...

I have a friend who has a L332 and runs yellow stuff pads. He loves them when he's on the autobahn. Might be worth buying a set of yellows to test. 

For clarity, I find red stuff just bites a fair bit better with less pedal effort, with slightly better pedal feel, I'm not certain how the pads could change pedal feel, but they do.

Pad material with a higher friction coefficient will bite into the disc at lower pressure, so you need less pedal effort. 😉 

The opposite happens when your discs are wet/muddy or the pads glazed and you need a lot of pressure to get the pads to bite.

When I was an Apprentice at a local Mercedes dealer, we were told that brake squeal is generated by the pads gripping and letting go at a microscopic level as you braked and this would move the pad in the caliper in response to the grab/release/grab/etc which set up the squeal.

MB had Anti-Squeal pads which never totally solved the problem and we were taught to put a lick of CoppaSlip on the contact faces of the pads and calipers.... so, the piston contact and the edges that located in the calipers, which did the job nicely.

• Like 3

I was recommended to use genuine pads. I resisted for a long while sticking with the more cost effective Mintex. 2 or 3 years ago I sold a kidney and bought a set of genuine brake pads. Wow, what a difference to Mintex ! Much improved feel and bite with reduced effort. 

This year I sold the other kidney and bought a double diaphragm servo kit from Lof. Once again a further improvement in reduction of pedal effort and feel of braking. It feels like proper car brakes now.

So I've found my brake set up that suits me now. Shame it took 30 years to find it 🤣

Mo

• Like 2

I'm sure I would very much prefer your 91 Audi to any of the current VAG offerings. They seem to have a tendency to put your nose against the screen as soon as you even look at the brake pedal...

6 minutes ago, Escape said:

I'm sure I would very much prefer your 91 Audi to any of the current VAG offerings. They seem to have a tendency to put your nose against the screen as soon as you even look at the brake pedal...

Yeah... I find most cars post 2005 have a brake pedal that just needs breathing on to do an emergency stop, but I guess you get used to it.