What engine for my new car?

smo

I'm pretty much decided on getting a fibreglass spaceframed D-Lander/Freelander from North Offroad, however i need to decide on what engine to get. I'd like an auto and logic says a 300tdi because thats easiest but i'm not a huge fan and prefer the TD5.

So, should i get a 300tdi auto, a td5 manual, a td5 auto (V expensive but good) or somthing else???

Suggestions on a postcard :lol:

EDIT: I like Diesels altho will consider petrols and love the idea of supercharged altho will prob settle on a turbo!

300Tdi... the TD5 may be wonderfull, but the 300Tdi is cheap to buy, easy and cheap to fix, and can be reliably tuned to a good 150bhp.. just with an intercooler swap and pump tweak... you can get nearer 180Bhp if you try, but reliability may suffer......

I think the Td5 will be harder to put into a project, as the electrics are a bit complicated..

If you want a challenge, go TD5, if you want something that will work, and be easy to fix when it doesn't, go 300Tdi...

the 150bhp you can get out of tuned 300Tdi will make your DLander fly!!!

tdv8!

If i could get one then i'd put one in, sadly i cant :(

Although i can get a 4.4 V8 from a disco 3 with gearbox and t'box but its pretty expensive.

As for using a V8 though i'm weary cos of running cost of fuel for getting places and also during events, on top of the issue V8's and water dont mix!

I'm not sure why a TD5 would be so hard, its only the ECU loom thats required isnt it?

Guest diesel_jim
If i could get one then i'd put one in, sadly i cant :(

Although i can get a 4.4 V8 from a disco 3 with gearbox and t'box but its pretty expensive.

As for using a V8 though i'm weary cos of running cost of fuel for getting places and also during events, on top of the issue V8's and water dont mix!

I'm not sure why a TD5 would be so hard, its only the ECU loom thats required isnt it?

If you can get a 4.4 V8 from a D3, then the 'lectronics on a Td5 would be positively prehistoric in comparison! :D

If you can get a 4.4 V8 from a D3, then the 'lectronics on a Td5 would be positively prehistoric in comparison! :D

I said i can get one, not wire it!!! It comes with loom but no ECU but i really dont see why it would be overly complex, yes modern engines are electronic but its pretty much contained in a few small plug in boxes :)

300Tdi... the TD5 may be wonderfull, but the 300Tdi is cheap to buy, easy and cheap to fix, and can be reliably tuned to a good 150bhp.. just with an intercooler swap and pump tweak... you can get nearer 180Bhp if you try, but reliability may suffer......

a 300 TDI is not cheaper to buy, in fact TD5's with lower mileage go for less than a TDI. easy and cheap to fix - Why? where does that come from?

I think the Td5 will be harder to put into a project, as the electrics are a bit complicated..

Yes the TD5 has electrics. One engine management ECU. ECU's have been in vehicles since the 70's and they are not that f***king complicated. As TC says you can pick up a spare for 100 notes and swap it out easily.

Having said all that I would say that 300TDI with an auto is easier to source from a Disco and selling the rest as spares and scrap is probably the best way to go rather than risking a crated engine with no known history.

Cheers

Steve

Get a P38A DSE/DT as a donor ?

Nice tunable 6-cylinder diesel, choice of manual or diesel.

Dunno if the Dlander can take the later style axles though.

Dlander can take whatever its made to take! :P

Looks like TD5 is favorable, i'll have to give ashcrofts a call about an auto box then too see where i go from here :)

I'm pretty much decided on getting a fibreglass spaceframed D-Lander/Freelander from North Offroad, however i need to decide on what engine to get. I'd like an auto and logic says a 300tdi because thats easiest but i'm not a huge fan and prefer the TD5.

So, should i get a 300tdi auto, a td5 manual, a td5 auto (V expensive but good) or somthing else???

Suggestions on a postcard :lol:

EDIT: I like Diesels altho will consider petrols and love the idea of supercharged altho will prob settle on a turbo!

What are you useing it for

are you taking kids to school in it or going to work in it or trailing around tesco car park.

If the ans is no to the above then V8 is the only way to go. No point buy a racer shell and putting a Diesel in it . You will only spend a fortune putting dieselin it and then spend even more trying to make it faster

Just get a V8 in in the first place :)

And as for turbo ,, Turbos are nice but i would rather be blown :)

Well I'd say a 2.8 tgv - its a lovely engine if a little pricey. Tweek them and, I've been told, they're good for a little under 200bhp and about 400 lb/ft of torque (more on propane). Shame you missed Tim's crated engine and HP24 built autobox that was for sale a few weeks ago as it would've been perfect.

Well I'd say a 2.8 tgv - its a lovely engine if a little pricey. Tweek them and, I've been told, they're good for a little under 200bhp and about 400 lb/ft of torque (more on propane). Shame you missed Tim's crated engine and HP24 built autobox that was for sale a few weeks ago as it would've been perfect.

as i said you can get a diesel and you'll have to tweek it

get a V8 and it will be a little under 200 BHP out of the box and some alot more than that.

I know i have always been a diesel person and still am but there is a time and a place for a V8 and when you need power for racing then a V8 will only really do if you want speed and reliability

My opinion :

DONT buy an RV8, they arent easy to waterproof and as far as I'm concerned dont have torque in the right places.

DONT buy a TD5, everyone I know who has spent any time working on them (including development engineers) hate them, they are unreliable (in my experience) and expensive to fix

DO buy a mechanical injection diesel, it doesnt have to be a Land Rover engine, why limit yourself to a 300tdi - as you said the Dlander can be built around anything. Consider large Dihatsu or Izuzu engines, maybe a 6cyl toyato lump? With mechanical injection you have little to worry about going wrong after a dunking, and big capacity can equal big power

DO search for the engine bunfight thread in the tools and fab forum, lots of folks suggested many diffrent non-LR engines that can/could/have been fitted to Land Rover boxes (but why would you want a LR g/box?), many people have experience with other marques and can advise you

The above are just my choices, opinions and experiences before anyone jumps on me saying their TD5 has never broken down and isnt expensive to mend

Hope this helps

Lewis :)

PS yes TDV6 and 8 are very nice but again they are based totally on electrics, if your thinking you dont mind electrics then just go for american muscle, Pugwash will be along shortly to shout about LS1's no doubt :D

If you find yourself back up near uttoxeter at any time before you decide then you are welcome to come and drive both V8 and Tdi powered offroaders to have a laugh help you decide

Having got rid of my TGV and box I am now just waiting for my LS1 (from a Holden) to be rebuilt and reprogrammed with all the troublesome bits removed. SO there will be no anti theft / immobilising stuff. Mated to a NIssan GU 5 speed manual and transfer box.

All the gears being sorted to match with the reduction in the portals!!!!!

FB

LS1 for cost efficiency- pretty much waterproof and 350bhp and 420lb/ft out of the box- an adaptor will cost you in the region of £300 and works well with an LT230- elliot Mez runs an LT230 and around 550bhp with a twin turbo Chevy 350 and hasn't bust an LT230 yet

LSx's are good engines - very good engines BUT they're not bolt on and will play havock with all the LR drivetrain, bar the transfer box, meaning you'll need to sort alternative gearbox and axle solutions. It's a valid option but it may not be for everyone.

Having completed the only dlander in existence at the moment, i would stick with the landrover runnning gear from the donor car. it allowed me to avoid all thins SVA and the truck only needed a VIC it runs 300tdi with all the goodies to make it quick no water problems is now got its internal snorkle and pulls over the speed limit if you are so inclined.