Forum green lane weekend anyone?

GBMUD

Right Jim, finger out then, go find a discovery instead of lounging around on here :P

Mo

Disco should be ok too, only issue might be lack of ground clearance in one or two places on 205's.

Jim in a std disco and ground clearance.......

maybe a problem approaching here......................

:D For info lads and lasses, I have just come back from walking :rolleyes::rolleyes: over Breasthigh Road East - West, should definitely be on your list to try, starts off nice and easy then as you climb gets quite interesting, should be possible in a standard Disco. We did it earlier in the year with two standard ones on 205's with no rela problem, just one or two places where rocks might be a hindrance and a spotter could help. For those who don't know it, Tebay across to the A6 can give co ordinates if wanted.

I believe we will need passes for each car. I have details for a contact at the LDNP and I need to speak to him next week to get the details so that those who need passes can get them. I understand that 110s will not be allowed on one (or more) routes. :(

Chris

Do we need individual car permits for this gig?

You need permits to go over Gatescarth Pass, nice and rough and very interesting hairpins, but, the date you are going is not an access day. Permits have to be applied for well in advance, I went over in September but applied way back in June. One of the guys applied for October but didn't get a permit, they only allow 12 vehicle in total over on any one day, so it is very restricted.

All the details are here

http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/index/enjo..._gatescarth.htm

Unfortunately this in my opinion is how it is going to be in all the Parks soon as the numpties have spoiled it for everyone

be very aware that all the routes that are open are monitored and any one straying off the road and going in the wrong direction may well get reported to the Police and the Park Authorities. The Ramblers are just wishing and waiting for a chance to get us all excluded from the Parks totally. The Lakes are being very balanced about usage unlike the Dales which I fear is soon going to be a total no go with TROs on every route, they have already TRO'd the Cam Road West end and from what I have seen have absolutely no intention of allowing vehicles on it again. This is now part of the Pennine Bridleway and we have very little chance of them opening it again after the present "repairs" are done. I may be wrong but the Dales Access Commitee is dominated by NIMBY Ramblers.

Ditto thoughts similar to above... I have just walked, well run (part of RAB mountain marathon) on part of Walna Scar road - all vehicular access extinguished - is now a bridleway - well, i dont know much about horses but im damn sure i would not ride one up or down it, rocky along the entire length, with some exciting steps.... No sign of any horses hooves......

OK, passes.

The only route for which passes are needed is for Gatesgarth Pass and there is a limit on wheelbase there too. It is only open one day a month for motor cars and that date is not when we will be there. :(

This means that there is no need for anyone to get a pass, all the ROWs are detailed on LDNPs website, along with details of TROs etc. so we can take our information from there. :)

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

YH too soft for us, looking for somewhere to set up tent city near to YH, may even rough it in a bivi if no luck.. Sure you boys wont join us? Victor, would keep the costs down for you mate! Did you not enjoy the whole experience in the woga woga?!??

Booked into a B&B in Ambleside. Will probably be laning on Saturday, walking on Sunday to keep Erica happy, but we'll see.

YH too soft for us, looking for somewhere to set up tent city near to YH, may even rough it in a bivi if no luck.. Sure you boys wont join us? Victor, would keep the costs down for you mate! Did you not enjoy the whole experience in the woga woga?!??

I've stayed at the National Trust campsite round the other side of the lake at Low Wray, but that's closed for the winter by then - there's camping at Rydal Hall just north of Ambleside or there's Skelwith Fold, ony about three miles out towards Hawkshead. Never stayed on either of them, but they look to be the nearest sites that are open all year.