Forum green lane weekend anyone?

GBMUD

:D:D:D Looks like you guys had a good time then, thought about how you were getting on when it was peeing down on Saturday night. Also glad you obviously didn't just use the Lakes roads, I see pics of The Highway and Breasthigh in there and as usual hordes of Bobblies Not !!!!!!

Piccies of the fords are really good, and that's the most water I have seen coming over Rutter Force !!!

I did tell you the YHA was basic and nearly as much as a B&B...

I paid £140 for two nights (two single rooms) in a nice B&B. Only catch was they served breakfast in a leisurely way between 8.30-9.00am, which meant we were late on the Saturday and everyone had already left. Fortunately when I phoned round everyone Pete (Raceface120) had a signal and we managed to catch up with them down near Newby Bridge.

Chris (and everyone else on the other tables) - sorry, should have come over and said hello before we disappeared.

Well, having spent much of the past year reading posts over Pete's shoulder I decided to sign up and post for myself!

I have to say it was a fantastic weekend. Everybody made me feel very welcome and it was great to put faces to some of the names (and stories) I'd seen on here.

I started the weekend having a bit of a whinge to Kat about being a "Landy Widow" and finished it by asking Pete to sort out the throttle pedal on the Disco so I can reach it well enough to have a go next time!

Here's a link to the rest of the piccies I took (not on a par with Ruperts but some are ok).

We would definately be up for another Lakes trip or Yorkshire!

Mrs Pete (aka Jin)

I have done Derbyshire and, while, it was lovely, I would rather go and see somewhere I have not been before or seen all/most of. Scotland is a little short on ROWs. Yorkshire is a possibilty...

Chris

As a local to the Lakes and having made a few suggestions to Chris about routes other than the LDNP, have any of you been to Northumberland, there are a good few lanes to explore and nice scenery. Could help with some more suggestions going from Penrith across to Hexham can be interesting an area you didn't get into at all.

I've driven a beagle pack all over Northumberland for my hunt, using an ancient Ford Transit converted into a hound van.

It's beautiful and unspoilt by tourists compared to the Lakes which are a bit of a honey pot - obviously Hadrian's Wall is an attraction tho.

Done a fair bit of rock scrambling in the van too, interesting with skinny tyres and RWD, so from that experience I would love to try it in a Landy.

Gets my vote.

MJ.

As a local to the Lakes and having made a few suggestions to Chris about routes other than the LDNP, have any of you been to Northumberland, there are a good few lanes to explore and nice scenery. Could help with some more suggestions going from Penrith across to Hexham can be interesting an area you didn't get into at all.

:o I looked these and what a wet one that was, the one that really got me thinking was the vid "no tracks the other side" took me a while to work that out. The exit from that ford at Winton is very very narrow (90 with about 3 inches either side)and should never in my opinion be attempted A) from the side the vid is taken from as it is very narrow and steep, B) if you cannot see the gravel bank in the vid you won't make it ! The water at the far side is more than likely 4 -5 feet deep and the current will push you over. I am extremely glad no one tried it as it would have been a disaster.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8008377@N02/1...57602917469296/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8008377@N02/1...57602917469296/

A couple of pics when it is very low for comparison :lol::lol::lol::lol:

if you cannot see the gravel bank in the vid you won't make it ! The water at the far side is more than likely 4 -5 feet deep and the current will push you over. I am extremely glad no one tried it as it would have been a disaster.

We thought it too fast running and potentially too deep Chris and with no tyre tracks at all on the far bank, we summised that no-one else had crossed recently....

Sounds like we jointly made a good decision.

There was no point in taking risks so we headed off for other stuff we had marked.

All in all, a great couple of days. Well worth another visit sometime.

Neil

That ford is great and quite challenging even with only a little water in as it's steep in and very tight so a good one for newbies to try. But when it's like that it is very dangerous by all reports.

Seems you found all the nice fords we have used through the summer, I am trying to verify the access to another not far away from Winton again through the Eden but when I last looked at it lots of "Private Land" "No Entry" signs for what is clearly shown as a UCR. I am hoping to soon meet up with the local County Council Ranger to review a number of lanes for the Cumbrian Heirarchy of Trails project so hopefully we can clear up whether it's a NIMBY with illegal locked gates or a no goer, looked good when I walked up to one side though !

:lol::lol: That's a much better picture, general advice on that one is it would be about bonnet deep just as you try to get up between the walls. We always come down that side and up where the picture is taken from as it is so tight especially as the bottom stone under the water is not in line with the others and if you ride up it you smack the back wing on the stone at the side, thanks daughter ! She borrowed my Rangie and bashed the back wing attempting this on her first ever green lane trip, with very little water in the bottom I might add.

Next time you come up I must come with you.

Oh yes.. Looking at Ruperts picture we can clealy see a level of blockwork is missing compared to one of your pics Chris... So even at the bank we'd have been up to the lights... Only you can advise how high that would been once out into the running water...

If we do head your way again, we'll make sure you know in advance ! :)

Neil