Forum green lane weekend anyone?

GBMUD

Cracking weekend, bar the damp bits :o

Ditto :)

Got back about 7:30.

Thanks to Jim and Mo for Chauffeuring me around, Kat for the choccy hob nobs and mince pics, Chris for not organising the weekend, and to everyone else for laughs and banter that make these trips what they are...............

Cracking :D

Can't be first back surely :unsure: Cracking weekend, bar the damp bits :o

More details to follow :D

Back at 1915, good to see some old faces along with the younger ones :P and nice to meet new people - Kat, Pete and Jeanette (sp?) and Rupert

Great weekend, except for having to lie under the landy at 7am on a very cold sunday morning in the pouring rain removing the front prop to change a UJ (I'm told it wasn't extreme maintenance though as it wasn't at the top of a mountain, merely by a lake :lol: )

Thanks to Chris for not organizing it and to the boy 90 for navigating :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks to Puggers for the rope and for keeping us entertained in his supertanker ;)

Mo

I concur.. A great weekend....

Didn't leave until it started getting dark today and got home 21:15 ish.

Great to meet some old faces and those we'd not met before... Raceface120, Jin, Mark J, Mark90, Viktor etc....

Thanks for not arranging things Chris. Pics etc. to follow. (May even challenge the Lagoda DVD for interest !)

When's the next one ?

Neil

Great weekend, even if we did only come out to play on the Saturday :) First outing for the Discovery, and the only issue was electrical interference on the CB, which was just a bit irritating.

Mind you, the most 'interesting' driving of the weekend was arriving back in Birmingham in the snow (we've got at least half an inch here). The rumours of Rangemasters winter performance are entirely true :ph34r: We got home without incident, but Jonathan borrowed the truck to go to the pharmacist and got it sideways on twice...

Excellent weekend, as forum meets always are. V8Freak completely dispelled the myth that V8's don't like the damp by charging head first through some fords. The scenery was great, as were the Lanes, restaraunt meals, and general company. I didn't get back to crappy Swindon until 10pm - the PAS pump on Marks 90 seized-up and threw the belt, then a blizzard on the M6, and two accidents slowed us right down. One funny part was SimonR getting told off by a little old lady for directing traffic onto her lawn - it's something to see - a big guy like him getting told off by a little old lady - you big softie Si :D Thanks once again Chris - another excellent forum meet, so whens the next one? :P

Les.

Well what a fantastic weekend. Great to put some faces to names, and to receive such a warm welcome from everyone.

Big thanks to Chris for not organising anything and to Mark, Les, V8Freak and Rupert for putting up with us all weekend. It was also good to meet Geoff and Erica on Saturday.

We got home at around 6-30 having stopped for fish and chips (but we probably had the shortest journey of anyone.)

Will stick some photo's up later.

Pete.

I got in at about 1845 so earlier than many. :)

Had a really good time, as usual, thanks to good company, food, beer and lanes. Nice to meet Pete and Jean (The Racefaces) as well as lots of more familiar faces. I saw Geoff in the pub Saturday evening but was eating on a different table and did not get the chance to say hello before he had gone - time seemed to be flying by for some reason with regular trips to the bar required - so, nice to have seen you Geoff. :)

I think that, on balance, the YH was perhaps not the ideal place to stay. Still, you live and learn - and the view was nice, as was the free-for-all breakfast. :)

Special thanks to James for doing all the map reading and gate opening/closing after I failed to get my PDA working adequately to be able to do the navigation as well as driving. I should try to get a passenger along for next time to read maps.

Where shall we go next? I have a few ideas in the pipeline...

Thanks everyone for making it special. :)

Cheers

Chris

Can you elaborate please?

John

A B & B would have been better value !! in hindsight

Victor and i had a box room with a child's bunk bed and sink !!, bedding left a lot to be desired !! read take your own !!

If you are not a YH member, you get hit for a extra £3 per person per night,

I think it was a great place to be able to get us all in. You could congregate downstairs for the late night chats With Si and Graham etc. without disturbing people.....

Accommodation was "basic" at best..

Trolling down the corridor in your undies to let beer out isn't all I desire these days and since Rupert and I were in with 6 other people we woke them up each night when rolling into bed after midninght ! :)

Cost wise, not that much better than B&B although we'd have to take over one of the larger establishments to get us all in if we went to B&B up there again.

As for where next, Rupert and I are considering going back in January if we can. May get some clearer days if not lashing down with rain all the time.. May even get nice white landscapes to photograph. It would be a mixture of photo opportunities with some off-road rather than off-road weekend with a camera, and we'd probably go over some of the ground we covered this weekend because we already know the potential of some of the views....

Let us know if anyone else is interested....

So Chris.... What about not organising a trip to Derbyshire, or more of Yorkshire... Some of the places we found from Mark90's overlays were quite good... Scotland sounds more like a week or two to do it justice....

Neil

Can you elaborate please?

Yup, Tim has it about right.

I had the impression from somewhere that the YH in question was more like a hotel than the YHs I have stayed in in the past - private rooms etc. In was disappointed that a twin room consisted of a small bunk bed with rather minimal bedding. There was a sink in the room but that was it. I am sure that if I had checked more carefully all the information was there for me to know but I did not and so I am not complaining. My main problem was with the price. A room for the weekend was £105 inc. a bloody good breakfast. I paid this in advance and when I got there I found I had to pay another £3/person/night for not being a YHA member. The £3 was not a surprise to me other than the fact that I thought is was in the £105 I had paid already. We also had to pay a £5 deposit for the key which I thought rather belittling.

As I say, you live and learn. The previous weekend we had stayed in a pub/B+B for barely any more money. There, for £35/night, I was trusted to look after my key, had a double bed with en-suite shower room and had an equally good breakfast served to me at my table. The bar was open late too.

In Andorra this spring I had a double room to myself with en-suite bathroom, a view to blow the Lake district out of the water (sorry Lake district, you are lovely but...), dinner and breakfast for less than the YH.

All I am saying is that IMHO the YH (at Ambleside anyway) is not good VFM.

Chris

So Chris.... What about not organising a trip to Derbyshire, or more of Yorkshire... Some of the places we found from Mark90's overlays were quite good... Scotland sounds more like a week or two to do it justice....

I have done Derbyshire and, while, it was lovely, I would rather go and see somewhere I have not been before or seen all/most of. Scotland is a little short on ROWs. Yorkshire is a possibilty...

Chris