Disc Handbrake???

Wattle

Mine holds well, and as prev mentioned stalls the engine in low 1st which is something i haven't experienced with the std def setup.

for those wondering Simon is working on an underdrive/overdrive suitable setup. mine looks like this:

DiscFinsihed.jpg

i think with this setup its the tyres that will become the limiting factor.

it will be tested in the muck this weekend so will let you know how it does.

Simon,

If you're ever at odds and ends looking for something else to work on :D

- A Series underdrive or low range gears in the 3:1 - 3.5:1 area would be mighty nice!!!!!!!!

- A good LT77 or R380 to Series T-box coupler would be both welcome and likely to have enough demand to make it worthwhile.

Love the halfshaft extractor by the way. Hoping it won't be necessary with the Volvo axles....

Anyway, glad to see more people in the LR aftermarket, especially people making things for offroad use rather than faux walnut dash surrounds :o

Following on from RPR's suggestions, a readily available copy of my 'stumpy' gearbox bellhousing could be useful for people wanting an R380 in their series (SWB) without propshaft problems. Utterly imossible to find now.

I guess you could do them with either 4 cyl or V8 bolt patterns on the front end too.

Al.

didnt weigh them before but yes hell of weight difference, although the caliper is pretty heavy

Si - what postage weight do you allow or do you know all up weight?

cant say mine goes much faster with it fitted though over std drum!!!!!!!

less inertia waisted though on rotating masses.

got loads of other pics of my setup from fitting. email sent

Si has been talking about the weight this week and reckons that the original weighs much the same as the new disc conversion because the caliper is so heavy.

He is however considering a light weight version, which is apparently required for comp safari racers. The problem is gettting a caliper/disc setup which will offer enough stopping power but be light weight I guess.

But at least with the disc brake the rotating bit must be a fair bit lighter

We're not talking about anything that's going to make a REAL difference here. You wont even feel it (maybe pyschologically!).

Don't get me wrong - I like 'em, reckon I'll be ordering one next yr.

Al.

Nice bit of kit that handbrake.

But could save a fair bit of weight by using an aluminium mount for a vastly cut down disc - like on a motorbike?? And use an alloy handbrake caliper from a normal car or a toyota 4x4?

just some thoughts....

cheers,

tom

Nice bit of kit that handbrake.

But could save a fair bit of weight by using an aluminium mount for a vastly cut down disc - like on a motorbike?? And use an alloy handbrake caliper from a normal car or a toyota 4x4?

just some thoughts....

cheers,

tom

Thanks all!

I looked at an alloy caliper - and it broke!

The total weight is 9.5kg. I've not accuratly compared it to a drum brake - only by holding one in each hand and comparing. Mind you, the drum didn't have any of the internals, just the drum and back-plate. If I find a complete one to weigh - I'll let you know!

An Al mount is possible, but to get the same strength, you need about the same weight of material. You also have to take in to account it work hardening (and fracturing). As a rule of thumb, components in compression, Al is lighter. Components in tension, Steel is lighter. In this design, bits are in tension and other bits compression and it works out about the same.

Si

Si

i will just add that i think (comp safari aside) that weight saving is not the issue here, its better braking performance and ease of maint that this handbrake setup brings.

But as you asked i have weigh the std drum and associated bits.

Drum = 9kg

Back plate, springs, shoes etc = 5.2kg

total 14.2kg.

i will just add that i think (comp safari aside) that weight saving is not the issue here, its better braking performance and ease of maint that this handbrake setup brings.

But as you asked i have weigh the std drum and associated bits.

Drum = 9kg

Back plate, springs, shoes etc = 5.2kg

total 14.2kg.

Not a bad wieht saving seeing as it is all rotating momentum stuff.

It's about what i drop after a heavy friday night on the curry :D

It's under way! I'm expecting delivery (from the US) of a caliper which might do the trick any day now. The difficulty with a series box is that there is a ring of bolts which hold the handbrake drum in place and increase the diameter in the middle which the pads need to avoid by 40 mm. The existing caliper would work, but you would loose 20mm worth of pad at the outside - not ideal.

The new one is supposed to be slimmer, with about the same gripping force. We'll see!

Phil,

I'm not sure about LT95 gearboxes. They are the ones where the gearbox and transfer box are all one unit and they have a very small diameter drum IIRC?

I tried ordering a back plate for one of these to see if the bolt spacing was the same - but they are no longer available! Most people (grown ups) that I've spoken too have said that you can fit a later drum to an LT95 but you have to fit a later (cable type) handbrake lever and (obviosly) a cable. I would assume that the bolt holes are the same - but I could not guarantee it! If they are the same as a Borg Warner or LT230 transfer box then it will fit - otherwise it may be necessary to drill some new holes in the back plate.

Next time you take it apart, take the back plate off and photocopy/scan the back of it. If you let me have a look at the picture (fax/email) - I can tell you if it will fit (and I'll give you a decent discount for your trouble!)

Alternatively, if someone would like to flog me the back plate - I'd go for that!

Si

Si,

I have measured the hole spacing on the back plate and the holes are 83mm apart vertically and horizontally which gives a PCD of about 117mm. Is this similar to your mounting bracket.

Phil