Don't buy one of these

Gromit

My aging Gascat is past its best and doesn't work anymore. When it was younger, it was brilliant. Heated up in seconds, enough heat to solder biggish wire. So good, I never used the electric iron. It even worked in a breeze.

A month or 2 ago, while wondering round B&Q, I bought one of these.

DSC_3251.jpg

Used it in anger for the first time yesterday.

Anger really was the word, it's rubbish. Makes noise but no heat.

Ended up heating the tip of it in a propane torch and then tried to quickly solder a blob on while it cooled. :angry:

Any recommendations for a GOOD gas iron. I'd buy a gascat again but can't find them.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I have had one from RS components for ages - they still sell them, and they're absolutely fantastic. Will try to find a link. WRT the other one from B&Q - take it back. Tell them that you have had it for a couple of months, and that it is broken. If you don't have your receipt, they will give you a credit note to buy something else with over the next year. There will be no questions, and you definately don't need the box or anything. If you have any problems taking it back, drop me a pm and i'll sort it out.

In my opinion, these are the best there is:

RS Clicky Link

I've had one of these since 1990 (actually BBC Engineering gave it to me during training) - and it's still going strong. Very convenient and reliable - and only £20.

C600234-01.jpg

Sadly, I lost mine with my 90 - but I'll be buying a replacement nect time I pass an RS trade counter!

Si

We have these at work, variously known as PortaSol and Weller something or other, brilliant little things - the hot air attachment is ideal for heat-shrink, the knife attachment works well and with no tip on it it makes a damn hot blowlamp!

12-20600.jpg

RS, Maplins, CPC et al sell them.

We have these at work, variously known as PortaSol and Weller something or other, brilliant little things - the hot air attachment is ideal for heat-shrink, the knife attachment works well and with no tip on it it makes a damn hot blowlamp!

12-20600.jpg

RS, Maplins, CPC et al sell them.

Yep, What he said!!!!!! I use a portasol most days, Brilliant bit of kit!

I've had one of these since 1990 (actually BBC Engineering gave it to me during training) - and it's still going strong. Very convenient and reliable - and only £20.

Sadly, I lost mine with my 90 - but I'll be buying a replacement nect time I pass an RS trade counter!

Si

Thanks a lot Si, £20 sounds much better than the other ones closer to £50. Did you loose many tools in the 90? :(

I had one courtesy of BT which was very good until it died :( but I can't remember the make. Now I have a shiney snap-on one which is better and comes with a little blow torch fitting and other tips that I don't know how to use ;) works really well too and solders big fat wires outside in the wind and cold.

Mo

I had one courtesy of BT which was very good until it died :( but I can't remember the make. Now I have a shiney snap-on one which is better and comes with a little blow torch fitting and other tips that I don't know how to use ;) works really well too and solders big fat wires outside in the wind and cold.

Mo

Im pretty sure that snap on do their own version plus they sell the portasol!

RS Clicky Link

C600234-01.jpg

I also have one of these and they are A1. I find that the tips need replacing from time to time... although that may be down to abuse...

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I use a tiny little Draper one which takes normal lighter refill fluid. It's probably less than 8" long and as it spends a lot of time inside the dash of many various cars (fitting radio's/alarms/unbodging) its an absolute cracker, used to work really well untill a drunken might involving lots of fireworks and no real lighter/matches :( does use a lot of gas for its size! Anyways i paid just over £10 in Halfords (trade account) and its still going plenty strong. It has a cap on it which doubles as a little stand and a place to put lots of solder :D

ok, so I finally got myself a portasol iron. Looks like a piece of kit.

One thing I can't figure out is what the hell the paperclip type thing is! :huh:

It isn't a handle for the sponge, it's not a rest for the iron, it doesn't help taking the tips off, in fact it doesn't fit anywhere.

The only use I can find for it is scratching my head. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

It's actually called an Oryx Portasol and the design of it hasnt changed since it was introduced probably 15 years ago - it was orginally developed by a couple of Irish brothers who worked for Bosch on their handsfree hair curlers, it uses the same technology.

I used to be a development enginer for a company called Greenwood Electronics in Reading who had the worldwide rights to sell them - and they sold zillions and zillions including some branded ones for BT

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Mechanical,+Offi....jsp?sku=070421

And i think they are cheaper now than way back then.