inverters

ibexman

Eeek, you're into big territory then - best bet is to read the wattage off the hairdryer and add ~50% as things take a kick to get started. At that end of things you're almost better off buying a generator.

... or hold the missus by the ankles and swing her around your head until dry ... :lol:

AndyG

Eeek, you're into big territory then - best bet is to read the wattage off the hairdryer and add ~50% as things take a kick to get started. At that end of things you're almost better off buying a generator.

Agreed.

I bought a small "suitcase style" generator - Kippor - a copy of the Honda type which is about the size of a small briefcase. It is really quiet and excellent for camping. About £140.

Having bought this it is amazing how useful it is to have 240v away from the house!

Agreed.

I bought a small "suitcase style" generator - Kippor - a copy of the Honda type which is about the size of a small briefcase. It is really quiet and excellent for camping. About £140.

Having bought this it is amazing how useful it is to have 240v away from the house!

that was cheap where from????

that was cheap where from????

I also use one of the Kipor Genny's at shows & stuff. Bought from a company on eBay.

Bear in mind that the red ones, although cheaper, will not run many types of motor as they do not produce a sine wave output. The Yellow ones (like wot I got) produce a good quality sine wave and will run everything.

Mine is 3kva and cost about £450 - and is one of the best silenced generators I've seen of that kind of capacity.

Si

best bet is to read the wattage off the hairdryer and add ~50% as things take a kick to get started.

Worth noting that inverters are nearly always rated for continuous output,and will gerenally handle double their rated continuous output for short period peak output - e.g.starting motors.

Bear in mind that the red ones, although cheaper, will not run many types of motor as they do not produce a sine wave output. The Yellow ones (like wot I got) produce a good quality sine wave and will run everything.

This also an important consideration in an inverter. The cheaper ones are not full sine wave which makes them dangerous at best for things like laptop batteries...

I tried to purchase from the company in the post above. Won the auction and called him to arrange collection. He informed me that they had sold all their gennys, even though he still had some on fleabay with time to run. Promised that he'd call when new stock came in but wouldn't be for 10-14 days. Still waiting 4 mths down the line. Just as well I sorted out my problem elsewhere.