Q plate

yella 90

looking at q plating my 90

now, how do i go about it ?

ive been told that i will need a fresh mot, and thats as much as i no on the subject :huh::huh:

where do i apply for the big book of do's and dont's

im also worried about the emissions, they do check them right :blink:

what about the side exit exhaust and also the wing bars :unsure:

have i opend a can of worms :ph34r:

dan

looking at q plating my 90

now, how do i go about it ?

ive been told that i will need a fresh mot, and thats as much as i no on the subject :huh::huh:

where do i apply for the big book of do's and dont's

im also worried about the emissions, they do check them right :blink:

what about the side exit exhaust and also the wing bars :unsure:

have i opend a can of worms :ph34r:

dan

stop in a lay by on your way to the test station and rev the t**s off of it for a couple of minutes untill the black smoke clears!!

Guest diesel_jim

You'll find that most (if not all) "Q" registered number plates can't be transferred from vehicle to vehicle.

when i got my 90 SVA'd, the logbook states "this number is non transferrable"

To get the wheels in motion, contact your local DVLA office (mine is in Bristol), they can organise an SVA test for you (Which is just like a fairly strict MoT... well, mine was; again, it was in Bristol, down by the docks near the severn bridge side of the city)

They then issued me with an SVA pass certificate, and they then gave me the VIN number . i then had to go and get an MoT, using the VIN number and not a registration number.

then take all the bits of paper to the DVLA local office, pay them a years road fund licence, and they print you off a V5 log book.

I'm not sure about emmisions though. i think that they measure them at "todays" standards, so if you took a ropey old 2.5 TD in, it may fail, althouhg i'm not 100% sure on this.

From the DVLA Website, Q Plates are not no dealt with on there own more linked into the SVA Saga :

Any vehicle, which has failed VIC, will not be entitled to retain its original registration mark, DVLA local office will allocate a 'Q' registration mark and an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA)

Nige

i want it to be q plated paul

cripes, rev the hell outta it, i could do it 100 times over, it'll still be the same <_<

afink it'll have to go in on a std intercooler, or turn the pump further back than std, after all, it will be trailed there

so its the dvla i need to ring to orgasise the test ?

dan

First off, why do you want a Q-plate / what makes you think you need one?

Until you answer that we don't know if you'll be going for a VIC, an SVA or get told to b*gger off and stop bothering the nice VOSA man :P as per Corrode_finger with his hybrid :lol:

Until you answer that we don't know if you'll be going for a VIC, an SVA or get told to b*gger off and stop bothering the nice VOSA man :P as per Corrode_finger with his hybrid :lol:

after it being registered on a q plate :)

I dont know for certain, nor do I presume to speak for Dan, but I imagine that he wants to SVA the vehicle because it is not a factory 90, rather built out of parts and running on an incorrect logbook

On a completely unrelated matter, If I had been running a vehicle, say a 90 for example, on a tax exmept series logbook, and had been getting away with it, I would not be keen to SVA this ficticious vehicle. Of course, that is just hypothetical

:)

after it being registered on a q plate :)

Yes - you've said that, do you want a Q-plate because:

- You just want a number plate with a Q on

- Your vehicle has been re-built using non-original parts and hence will probably warrant a Q-plate under the points system to be pukka

- Your vehicle has been built up from a collection of bits and needs an SVA to be pukka

First stop, go to local DVLA office, they will decide if it needs 'further' tests etc!

If it is built from multiple vehicle items, ie, cut down RRC , random gearboxes and engines, and axles from anywhere, it will need to go to SVA and will likely get a Qplate.

They give a Q plate to a vehicle that has major components sourced from multiple origins, see the DVLA website, for points etc!

They prefer to issue 'age related' plates where they are able, so the DVLA decide if its a Q or not, nobody else.

If the truck is a 'commercial' regarding SVA, then i understand it is 'easier' to pass, and i dont think emissions are considered.

If its a donor 90 with bodywork 'alterations', they will probably not be interested. However they did in my case request to examine the vehicle before deciding what needs to be done.

The VIC and reissue of the MOT and altered V5 from: Land Rover Range Rover to Land Rover pickup, was free.

I suspect that thebiggreenthing is in a similar position to quite a few on here: bought a vehicle, had it a year, popped the engine and replaced/upgraded it with another factory option. Then thought about rear discs 12 months later, but the gearbox went bang so had to hook that out. By year four he's got a good deal on a pair of axles with clever diffs and changed the t-box at the same time. In year five the car's getting old and looking a little 'battle worn' and Mr MOT spots some corrosion, so it has a crossmember or rear half chassis. After a season's challenge events he's now replaced most of the bodywork and, although the car is to nearly-original spec, none of it is original any more.*

Trigger's broom lives on, but when do you hold up your hand and say you ought to have it looked at?

The critical question is - is this a one-way street to paperwork hell that you can't stop once you've started. That would put me off if my vehicle fitted the description above.

*For the Will Warne option, simply omit the words 'and replace' from every stage of this stripdown.

:lol:

Still here....Disco's still going, Hybrids at Mr Turners.....hiding in the weed bed :P

Surf is STILL going with no problems :o

Why go for a Q plate unless you have to ?....have a gander atthe other threads in tech forum ;)

Turbocharger, if it started life as a 90 and has had lots of replacements, i doubt that the dvla etc will care, if it has a new engine, i would have thought that the best thing would be to notify them of that and just get the V5 updated!!

It seems from reading the threads and looking at the website, that if 'one' mod at a time is done as a 'repair' and notified to the DVLA, then its not a registration/ identity issue!!

They gave me the impression when i visited them, that they dislike cut n shut RRC's/ Discos and anything that is an iffy tax exempter..... ie a 1955 series 1 coiler 300tdi!! Geuss thats a money and revenue thing more than anything else......... i'll take my cynical hat off now!!

Quick question

If you build a motor out of bits so it does not have a reg number, how do you get it to the SVA if you don't have a trailer or tow motor?

If I get it delivered and it passes can I drive it home?

Trying to deecide whether to build a special or just modify an existing motor :D

Quick question

If you build a motor out of bits so it does not have a reg number, how do you get it to the SVA if you don't have a trailer or tow motor?

If I get it delivered and it passes can I drive it home?

Trying to deecide whether to build a special or just modify an existing motor :D

you should transport it down, however I rode my grey import bike down with no reg. Had to get an MOT and insurance (that was fun without a reg no) first before they'd inspect and i think it's the same for SVA.

as far as I know if it passes you can't just drive it home as you still won't have registration number/docs (they send them on after)

they don't like to make these things simple:rolleyes:

Guest diesel_jim

^^^^ what he said...

travelling to a SVA test is the only time you can legally drive without a registration number (unless you suddenly get promoted to "queen" overnight)

however... if your vehicle is a deathtrap, then you can't drive it home, so a trailer is probably the best bet.

gives a catch 22 situation.... you need the engine warm for the emissions test... when i took mine down, they just said "go for a drive around the industrial estate".

was wierd, but i had their "say so", so no problems shoudl i get pulled by the law i suppose.

When my kit lotus 7 was done, you can get it insured on the chassis number, bit of a problem there for the kit, it needed one from the DVLA, so, Adrian Flux ithink(was a while ago) agreed to insure the car on its engine number.

To get a chassis number i had to get to DVLA, i think its still the same, because i had an appointment with letters, i was allowed to drive it to the DVLA. It had no reg, no tax, no chasiss ID on way down.

Got inspected, got DVLA chassis number, which incorporated the engine number into it, got paperwork, drove home up the M27, much to the amazement of other motorists seeing a yellow Lotus with no reg plates.

Then got VIN plate and 'chassis' stamped up, book SVA.

Again, able to drive to SVA for test as its pre booked, failed twice, still able to drive it home.

Once you have SVA pass, go to DVLA and get a V5 and tax.

Easy!! :lol::lol::blink:

I asked VOSA about Q plating landrovers and they told me that if non standard replacement parts ie disco engine, rr rear axle defender coil spring are fitted onto a ser2 for example due to wear and tear over a period of time then the vehicle is non required to have any sva test or Q plate, only if it has been rebuilt with all of the modifications are they interested.