Forum Directory

pugwash

Would anybody else find it useful to have a forum phone/contacts directory?

I for one would find it very very useful and can't really see a downside. It would have to be access controlled, and entirely optional but would be great when arranging weekends away, group buys, events and for general info.

Given the amount of identity theft going on I would strongly advise against posting any personal information on the internet.

I have heard that even your birthday and your name can be enough to get them interested..... :angry:

Stick to PM's!

Given the amount of identity theft going on I would strongly advise against posting any personal information on the internet.

I have heard thast even your birthday and your name can be enough to get them interested..... :angry:

Stick to PM's!

Good idea but what's said above

Unless a restricted area is introduced

Steve

as i said, it would have to be access controlled, so that identity theft was impossible, and only those with a certain number of posts (or even just those who have data in their) would have access to it.

I'm only really talking about phone numbers, mobile numbers and email adresses here, not mothers maiden name and where you grew up.

Mark- for some reason my missus seems to haev your number- don't konw why?

With all due respect to the Forum Membership:

How can you be sure a member doesn't steal an identity once he / she has access to the "secure" zone?

You can already email any member form their profile anyhow.

Sorry to be the damp squib at the party. :(

With all due respect to the Forum Membership:

How can you be sure a member doesn't steal an identity once he / she has access to the "secure" zone?

You can already email any member form their profile anyhow.

Sorry to be the damp squib at the party. :(

Bish,

if a bloke wants to steal your identity then they are going to do it no matter what information you put on the internet.

There is no way of stealing a persons ID solely from a phone number otherwise the phone directory would be a hell of a dangerous tool.

Stealing someones identity is not the easiest thing in the world, no matter what the scare mongers say, and is only really possible by being careless with who you give your confidential and vulnerable data to.

For 99% of the population phone numbers and home adresses are found through an electoral role search at www.192.com, and can in no way be considered confidential or vulnerable. The only thing they supply is where to contact you.

people who beleive that being ex-directory and/or other measures to protect their address are deluding themselves if they think they are actually making a difference in protecting their identities.

if you want to protect your identity then you are better off maknig sure you never use credit/debit cards, don't disclose your date of birth or where you grew up and setting up a PO box or other disconnected address for your bank statements/ credit cards and such like.

I'm broadly in favour of this. Obviously if you don't want your details published, you wouldn't have to - but I think it would be very useful on occasion!

I don't know if this forum software supports it, but others have the facility to restrict certain profile info to just your friends, or make it public. That might be a way of restricting access? Then those who are worried, can publish their details to as select a list as they choose.

The contacts book would just be a way of bringing it all together in a single, easy to search place.

Si

Guest diesel_jim

^^^^^

What Simon said... if it could be tied into the PM "buddy list", so for example, i would put my phone numbers/email/vital stats into my "page", then if anyone else wanted to access said page, they ask me to put them onto my buddy list, that way it gives them access?

that would keep the great unwashed out from getting the info, but on the other hand, if someone has to go to the effort of PM'ing me to get access to my contact info, they might as well just PM me for that info... hmmm... <_<<_< back to the drawing board me thinks... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quite a few forum members already have my phone number for threats, summons, etc :P . If someone asks for it, then fine, but I certainly wouldn't like it to be generally available. The pm facility is fine for those that regularly use the site, and I can be contacted via my hotmail address. For those people that have evident technical abilities I would imagine calls at any time of the day (and possibly night), would be just a teensy bit annoying.

Example:-

HFH - snore, grunt, fart, snore, snore, snore.

Ring ring - ring ring - ring ring - ring ring - ring ring - ring ring

Nige -"hello"

plonker - hello is that HFH form LR4x4?

Nige - yes, who is this?

Sorry to bother you, this is Dew110CSW, could you tell me how you made a rear winch bumper from a 12-inch RSJ?

Nige - It's 4:30 in the morning

plonker - oh right - I'm up a bit early

Nige's wifey - Who is it dear?

Nige - some idiot phoning me up about Land Rover stuff.

Nige's wifey - I want a divorce.

Nige - could you still come round and do the ironing?

Click..........

Les.

Quite day then Les , :lol: Funny thought,

Sorry Jim, also with Bish etc on this one, Anyone who needs to contact me, knows my mail address/phone number,

or someone that does, or can PM me, as you have said yourself, anyone can be found, if you really need to

the other option is to have ONE point of contact, anyone who feels comnforatble giving a contact number or an email address could give it to the "contact person". If anyone wishes to contact somebody from the forum then they have to go through the "contact person" first.

It's a bit convaluted, but could work.

My opinion is that you should keep as much of your personal information to yourself as possible.

I've seen lots of identity theft problems and its quite easy in all reality.

Pm's within the forum are surely enough and this lets everyone decide what info they wish to give out person to person instead of more openly.

:)

Alex

and that was Funny LES

one thing i was thinking of that may benefit the forum is regarding the forum courier service.

If anyone regularly travels along a specific corridor or route and they would be willing to assist they could put up a list.

i for instance travel between Hull-S****horpe most days and then Hull Wakefield weekends etc.

this could be done regionally etc.

Alex

haaaaa i can't believe it won't let my type Sc unthorpe properly. :hysterical:

Tony.. What is "paper"?

Not something I've come across in this new technically advanced world...

Actually..... Since we've been all tech'd up at work and home we've never used so much of the stuff...

We have the good ole-fashioned phone book at home for keeping personal contacts in.. That way, when you drop the mobile phone into your beer/mud or drive over it by mistake, you have a robust recovery process !!!

Even though I like playing with puters etc. I don't feel the need for a directory as such in here. If people want to share it's only a PM away....

The idea of the forum delivery network has far more credibility in my books....

Neil