Front disk renewal

Guest otchie1

Guest otchie1

Looking at the manual it looks like I have to take the front hubs off the vehicle to unbolt the front brake disks from the back of them.

Is this right?

What's likely to break when I do it and has anybody else felt the urge to track down the body responsible for designing certain bits and asking them pointy questions?

Guest otchie1
Oh and you need a 12-point socket for the disc bolts IIRC but no idea what size :unsure:

Ta, fridge.

Re the caliper reatining bolts, a standard 1/2" 12point does it nicely - what else could it be on a 1989 vehicle? :D

It sounds like you are concerned that it is a lot of work to replace the discs, believe me when I say it isn't and as long as you have the correct spanners/sockets and a hub-nut socket it is very simple.

Sometimes the discs don't like to separate from the hub but this is only corrosion so they will come apart with some encouragement.

I take it you are fitting new pads at the same time?

Yes it's right, you may want to replace the oil seal on the hub when you do it but none of it is difficult or expensive. Oh and you need a 12-point socket for the disc bolts IIRC but no idea what size :unsure:

On a 1994 200tdi defender:

13mm 12-point for the caliper bolts

and

14mm 12-point for the bolts securing the disc to the hub.

Stahlwille makes some good 12-points sockets, which is a worthwhile investment. One does not want these bolts rounded off.

Guest otchie1

Thanks all - all noted.

Yeah, it did sound like a lot of work compared to say a Mondeo where it just slots over the wheel studs.

Still, with the hubs off I might finally be able to shift the rearmost radius arm bolts that are seized solid and I can't get the gun to.

One day I'll find something that doesn't take a week to do ;-)

Thanks all - all noted.

Yeah, it did sound like a lot of work compared to say a Mondeo where it just slots over the wheel studs.

Still, with the hubs off I might finally be able to shift the rearmost radius arm bolts that are seized solid and I can't get the gun to.

One day I'll find something that doesn't take a week to do ;-)

Personnally I'd rather work on my 110 than the wife's Mundano.... ;)

Matt

And when trying to undo the bolts that hold the disc to the hub the best way to clamp the hub to stop it moving about is to slot the wheel nut studs back into the wheel- not try to hold the hub with your knees whilst attacking it with an air impact wrench... ask me how I know... :blush:

Shrek

Too right... slot the wheel nut studs into the wheel you've had to remove to get to the brakes and sit on the edge of the tyre while you 'attack' it with a long breaker bar and the right sized socket :rolleyes:

Too right... slot the wheel nut studs into the wheel you've had to remove to get to the brakes and sit on the edge of the tyre while you 'attack' it with a long breaker bar and the right sized socket :rolleyes:

i have wedged a long breaker bar btween two studs before today to get the bolts holding the disk on, off

And when trying to undo the bolts that hold the disc to the hub the best way to clamp the hub to stop it moving about is to slot the wheel nut studs back into the wheel- not try to hold the hub with your knees whilst attacking it with an air impact wrench... ask me how I know... :blush:

Shrek

Sounds horrific....

I second this method, wheel flat on the ground, hub studs back in their holes, job done :)

Mo

Guest otchie1
I second this method, wheel flat on the ground, hub studs back in their holes, job done :)

Mo

All this laying around in the dirt is just too much - I think I'll hold the disk tight in the vice and wind the bolts out with my air gun :P

All this laying around in the dirt is just too much - I think I'll hold the disk tight in the vice and wind the bolts out with my air gun :P

If you're using a impact gun you don't even need to hold it that tight. I just dropped the hub into my spare wheel on the floor. impact gun and ten seconds later they're all out. :)