fuel consumption

RATRACER

HELP,

DICO 300 TDI 1996 AUTO.

2 INCH LIFT, COLWAY MUD TYRES,ROOF RACK, WELL SERVICED WITH ALL NEW FILTERS AND OILS .

USED LOCAL SHORT RUNS IN THE WEEK AND LONGER TRIPS AT WEEKEND. DRIVEN WITH VERY LIGHT FOOT AT ALL TIMES BUT 20 MPG. IS A BIT STEEP!!!!

USED 50.50. DIESEL AND VEG. OIL IN SUMMER RUNS BEAUTIFUL NO SMOKE OR XS. OIL BURNING. 65000 MILES ON CLOCK.

ANY ADVICE ON MPG IMPROVEMENT WELCOME..

RATRACER.

Don't forget that your speedo must legally over-read by up to 10%. Also petrol station pumps must also legally over-read by up to 15%.

When you calculate 20mpg the true mpg will be nearer to 16mpg.

Just to make you feel better!

Mike

:huh::huh:

Um, I don`t think so!!

As I understand it, speedo`s are acceptable by law to a 10% variation.

If petrol stations were all underselling by 10%, Weights and Measures would close them ALL down. As I remember when I used to have a petrol filling station, the maximum variation over or below volume was as little as 2% possably 4%.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES.

biggest concern is that veg. oil use without a proper conversion may have done harm to top end of motor and affected m.p.g?

Does a roof rack really upset things on local 30m.p.h use, i can understand motorways but pop to the shops use?

I have 50 p.s.i in standard diameter tyres ,albeit muds, but it does get its feet dirty as often as poss. so loathe to change for

road tyres. Any ideas on redex diesel treatment?

CHEERS , RATRACER

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES.

biggest concern is that veg. oil use without a proper conversion may have done harm to top end of motor and affected m.p.g?

Does a roof rack really upset things on local 30m.p.h use, i can understand motorways but pop to the shops use?

I have 50 p.s.i in standard diameter tyres ,albeit muds, but it does get its feet dirty as often as poss. so loathe to change for

road tyres. Any ideas on redex diesel treatment?

CHEERS , RATRACER

My 300tdi auto, has full rack roof tent 4 jerry cans on permanently, 235x70x16 tyres and i average 26 to the gallon round about locally, on a long run to Bosnia i returmned an average 29 to the gallon.

Regards

Keith

PS 50 PSI???????????

The 300tdi auto I am borrowing at the moment does on average short trips about 25mpg going upto about 30 on a run.

Even towing a heavy trailer with a 110 (minus running gear) it didn't get much below 25mpg. Not sure about any fuelling tweeks but has a full front intercooler and runs on 205 at's otherwise standard.

Andy

:huh::huh:

Um, I don`t think so!!

As I understand it, speedo`s are acceptable by law to a 10% variation.

If petrol stations were all underselling by 10%, Weights and Measures would close them ALL down. As I remember when I used to have a petrol filling station, the maximum variation over or below volume was as little as 2% possably 4%.

Didn't read it though after typing, petrol pumps are allowed to overread by .5% not 15%!

Have you blanked off the EGR? (sorry read the thread but may have missed this if you have already). Many reports of this giving less smoke and more MPG although must admit there are also reports of little or no change. Certainly worth trying if you haven't already done so as it only costs pennies and can be put back at any time if you are not convinced anything has improved. Sure to be a tech article on here somewhere about how to do so.

What size tyres are you running? and drop them from 50psi to about 30psi. as has been said roofrack will drop mpg alot and veg will drop it a tiny bit aswell but i wouldn't really worry that much on the veg, are you running new veg/waste veg?

What size tyres are you running? and drop them from 50psi to about 30psi. as has been said roofrack will drop mpg alot and veg will drop it a tiny bit aswell but i wouldn't really worry that much on the veg, are you running new veg/waste veg?

O.K roof racks coming off! Only use it to carry timber from B'Q anyway, about once every six months. High tyre pressure in a vain attempt to cut rolling resistance of 265/70 colway mud tyres!!! Tyre press. now at 32 p.s.i. thank you[and all who picked up on this horrendous mistake]. The veg oil i use is direct from Makro or Tesco e.t.c. and disco actually seems to run smoother the more oil in the tank. I intend to do a proper fuel test using a remote tank containing exactly one gallon and G.P.S. to clock the mileage. THanks to all who provided info and otherwise!

REGARDS,...RATRACER.

O.K roof racks coming off! Only use it to carry timber from B'Q anyway, about once every six months. High tyre pressure in a vain attempt to cut rolling resistance of 265/70 colway mud tyres!!! Tyre press. now at 32 p.s.i. thank you[and all who picked up on this horrendous mistake]. The veg oil i use is direct from Makro or Tesco e.t.c. and disco actually seems to run smoother the more oil in the tank. I intend to do a proper fuel test using a remote tank containing exactly one gallon and G.P.S. to clock the mileage. THanks to all who provided info and otherwise!

REGARDS,...RATRACER.

:P Howdy! If it makes you feel any better I only get 23/24 :angry: combined MPG in my 300Tdi with EDC. All mine have been the same too. I have had 3!! :o

I'm wondering if it is an EDC thing as the TD5s get lower MPG than the 300Tdi?

Anyhoo...