Oh Dear Oh Dear

reads90

See how there's no pictures of it doing anything but drive over very flat rocks... very much like driving on a road I'd imagine...

02 - I think you'd reliably look like a right numpty driving one :P good point but LOOK at it (or look a tit) you're not gonna be going to any play days in it are you?

mmmmm

Not alot i can say really

I see Aus has some internet access then :D

and you've got lots of time on your hands now !!

I hate Volvos with a passion, hence I can't like that particular car, and all the tat on the roof is nonsense.

But I do like the Audi Allroad, Subaru Forrester style of estate car. I don't need a full on 4x4 as a daily driver, but I prefer 4x4 for handling and balance when given a choice, the extra traction/ground clearance is handy too.

02 - I think you'd reliably look like a right numpty driving one :P good point but LOOK at it (or look a tit) you're not gonna be going to any play days in it are you?

maybe so, but how does it differ from this

N606VDU%20on%20stand.JPG_1.jpg

or this:

camel.jpg

just more shiny and plasticy that is all.

I agree, as for taking if off road, how many new Rangies on mk 4 discoveries do you see? most of those are parked on the hard shoulder wait for the AA man or in Tesco car park :lol:

Subaru Forrester

An especially nice vehicle and with the same engine as the Impreza the possiblities are endless B) ;)

Difference between the Volvo and the Disco? One will probably go off road and has been used off road, the Disco has the ability with actual things that are useful off road instead of a roof rack to allow you to put every really heavy item in the car on the roof... Mm, sensible.

Still, Volvo have hit a mark for all those that dream of leaving the kids and escaping whilst doing the Tesco's shop and I'm sure they'll sell loads and that, after all, is the object of the excercise.

Oy 02 - thats my car (well it was) parked outside my house !!

Seems like it was recently sold by the camel-trophy-vehicles place in excess of £20,000 !!

Ha ha I thought that would wake you up!! That is what came up when searching for camel trophy discovery.

anyway I still like it (the volvo that is so there :P )

Horrible plastic tat!

I bet it would cost an arm and both legs to replace a damaged bumper.

Spots nice and high so a low branch can snap them off easily. I bet they ain't cheap either.

The jerry can being the highest point isn't too clever either - roll the motor and blow yourself up or burn to death. These designers should talk to people that actually drive off road.

Les. :)

Edited by Les Henson

I dont like it much either (cause its not a Landy) but it would have been better for scouting out greenlanes than our V50 company car! when we had the PT Crusier, you would have been surprised where String took that!! (just ask Tonk!!) :lol::lol::lol:

Still having said that Stringy doesnt drive it in pipe and slippers! comes as a bit of a shock to chavs at traffic lights!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I bet it would cost an arm and both legs to replace a damaged bumper.

Bit like a Freelander, Discovery Series 2 or Discovery 3 then?

Vaguely sensible bumpers ended with the Discovery Tdi, everything since then (apart from Defenders of course) have been plastic one-piece things, the Discovery Tdi one was at least mostly made out of metal and if you trashed anything it was usually only the end caps which weren't too expensive.

Both bumpers on my D2 are one piece plastic affairs and it's not very long since I saw one that had been removed by a single ditch crossing (not mine thankfully!)

The XC70 AT (All Terrain) is based on the XC70 crossover wagon and features an impressive 408 horsepower and 398 lb-ft. of torque from its Garret-turbocharged version of the 2.5L five-cylinder found in the V70R. It gets the XC90 V8’s six-speed automatic and the company’s Haldex all-wheel-drive system. The XC70 AT also features a fully independent air suspension developed by ipd that offers four inches of adjustability that can raise the concept a full eight inches higher than a stock XC70. The suspension also features front and rear anti-sway bars to keep the vehicle under control in the corners. Other add-ons include a generator, high-lift jack, spare jerry can and tire and remote exterior battery connection terminals.

The engine sounds pretty good to me and for what it is, it's a great soft roader/lifestyle vehicle. I would put it in the same category as the Freelander and of the two, I would rather have the XC70, although the winch is OTT on a Volvo wagon. I can't say much good about the color. Certainly for the US market where snow is an issue, the clearance provided by suspension set-up is pretty good. It's not a rock crawler or a true offroader, but for a softroader better than average.

Sorry guys (&gals) with O2 on this one,, would love to take one to 7S this weekend,,,,

With the V70R engine in it,, will eats your scobby & co for breakfast, and spit it out the exhaust

and with the same running gear as the XC90, makes the discocovery, , look as thought its running series set up from the 60's

And besides they may even put a landrover badge on the grill,, all owned by Ford

I think it looks the ducks nuts, & for 98% of what I would be likely to do with it would be fine, ( for the other 2% I'd have a Landie of course :lol::lol: ), & 98% of those that saw it wouldn't give a toss that it couldn't do the other 2%. Yep. I'd have one in the garage tomorrow if I could afford it, & I reckon her indoors would love to do the school run in it & park it in the Pak & Save ( our version of Tescos) carpark.

Cheers, Steve.

supeerb!! pity it is more than I am willing to spend :(

whilst you may laugh and deride, reliability and build quality will put Land Rover products at twice the price to shame.

A perfect and very valid point. The majority of Land Rovers never go off road so Volvo don't have to worry too much against challenging LR on that score. They are targeting those that think they would like to go off road. And unfortunately there are a lot lot more of those types than there are of us.

Their build quality and reliabilty is far superior to Land Rover. It's no good making excuses or saying " I can go off road further than you can".

Until Land Rover make a vehicle that is free from niggling faults etc. and is ultra reliable and very low cost to own then they will always be at the bottom of these reliabilty surveys.

Built as a pure concept vehicle, there are no plans currently to produce the XC70 AT

So they're not building it anyway?

That explains the 400BHP, building a production off-road car with that would be interestin', well, unless you're Porsche (and yes, I've seen a Cayenne off road at Woodlands before, most interesting :huh::o ).

(oh, and Tim, although they don't build a 400bhp standard Scoob (yet) , 400BHP is quite normal for the Scooby engines these days, especially the 2.5 we'll be getting soon B) :o:D )