Alternative front recovery point

Ryan

Until about an hour ago I had this type of recovery point fitted to the front of my Discovery:

gallery_1731_434_428910.jpg

Then I fitted my new bumper (4x4RUS winch bumper) and found that there was no way the recovery point was going to fit in the place from whence it came :angry: . The gap between the two side plates is too narrow (by about the thickness of one of the plates) to get around the bumper and the Southdown steering guard:

gallery_1731_434_202799.jpg

gallery_1731_434_283982.jpg

Do these type of recovery points come in wider versions? The bumper has two holes on the front face in line with the chassis ends. The holes are 19mm diameter.

gallery_1731_434_771070.jpg

Will a swivel point fit? There are two layers of 5mm steel at this point - will that be up to the job of retaining whatever gets mounted? Are there any other alternatives? I am aware of some people bolting on gert big lifting eyes.

No rush, but I need something sorted out by the time I go to Bunny Lane this Sunday, otherwise I need to make sure I only get stuck where I can be pulled out backwards! :rolleyes:

Edited to add: if someone responds and it seems a while before I do, I'm down the dump getting rid of the old bumper!!

Looks to me like you would be able to drill out the two holes that are on the front face in line with the chassis rails and use swivel recovery points like these:

bumper60.jpg

defend5.jpg

From here

They are not going to pull though 10mm of steel!

Also I am sure that those kind of Jate rings can be made to any width to suit- can't remember the company name now... I am sure someone from here will know...

I personally prefer the swivel type.

Shrek

Thanks Guys for the suggestions so far...

Shrek - I have e-mailed First Four as their swivels are for 5mm thick bumpers and mine is at least 10mm. I not too keen on getting something welded to the bumper at this time, thanks anyway Al. So far I cannot find anyone on the web selling extra wide Jate rings. Lars, not sure about bending the ones I've got - they would have to be bent so much, that the part with the mounting hole would not be flat against the chassis/bumper bracket.

Its only bar welded in between two plates.

I guess you have a grinder or chop saw, so cut the bar out of the middle, pop and get a short length of suitably beefy bar, and either weld it in, or if you're not confident, tack it together/squeeze a pigeon over it and get someone else to weld it / take it to a nearby fab shop? Won't take long at all. Quicker than ordering, and cheaper.

Al. :)

I guess you have a grinder or chop saw, so cut the bar out of the middle, pop and get a short length of suitably beefy bar, and either weld it in, or if you're not confident, tack it together/squeeze a pigeon over it and get someone else to weld it / take it to a nearby fab shop? Won't take long at all. Quicker than ordering, and cheaper.

You're obviously confusing me with someone who knows what he's doing and actually has the tools you mention :blink:

...I have some superglue, will that help? Ooh, and I also have a Land Rover precision adjustable hitting stick.

Ok, well don't worry about it. I know you know someone with an angle grinder (or go and buy one for a tenner and double the size of your tool kit? :P ). (Plus some cheapo goggles for a quid).

Then you can just cut some bar the right length, and take it to be stuck together by someone with a decent aviary. Job done.

M20 eye bolts Here

Nice long threads, so you can get a decent thick washer on the back.

I also like to have two nuts.

Tighten the nuts to each other, but leave the eye-bolt very slightly loose in the bumper and it will swivel when necessary.

There maybe other/better/cheaper suppliers, but that is what google turned up first

The wide throat JATES are part number ZXC9435 most likely only available via a main dealer

This is 97mm across the throat, compared to 85mm on RRC323

DSC09343.jpg

Aha, thems looks like the jobbies. I'll need to go have a measure up to get some actual....err measurements. Would I be right in thinking they would be a special order item?

Dont the better quality JATE rings have the bar going into the the side pieces rather than just but welded onto them? so you would need to turn down the end of the bar, drill a suitable hole in the sides then reft.

Ryan, you seem to be playing harder and harder in that poor disco of yours. May i suggest you move away from the jate ring idea, nothing wrong with em but, if your properly stuck and your front end is in the deep stuff it's a bugger to get the rope on. Some thing in or on the front is much easier. ;)

IMHO Ash

properly stuck and your front end is in the deep stuff it's a bugger to get the rope on

so do a bit of anti-getting stuck prep & fit it with a bridle to the jate rings Before getting muddy & possibly stuck, a bit of fore thought never hurt anyone

Ryan - Ash is right, JATE rings are OK but if you're proper stuck they're underneath everything <_< Al's suggestion gets my vote, I'm happy to wave a welder at your front bumper :P although may be tight for time if you need it done by Bunny Lane.

Alternatively, pin hitches are £13 each from Towsure, two M16 bolts through your bumper and it's not coming off.

M20 eye bolts

I was looking at the M20 eye bolts we have in work a couple of weeks ago, with the intention of fitting them to my new landy, but noticed they only have a WLL of 1.3 ton :o

I ended up bending a bit of 20mm round into a U, and welding them down the inside of the chassis legs.

either fir the swivels just outside of the chassis mounts, where the bumbewr begins to rake back (I guess that is only single thcikness), or fit then either side of the hawse............

If you really want to use the two holes that I assume are double thickness then bolt in a couple of these lifting eyes .....(24mm holes)

Remember that the SWL figures quoted for lifting are uber safe ...........

ss-4a.jpg

:)

Ian

Thanks again guys...

Ryan, you seem to be playing harder and harder in that poor disco of yours. May i suggest you move away from the jate ring idea, nothing wrong with em but, if your properly stuck and your front end is in the deep stuff it's a bugger to get the rope on. Some thing in or on the front is much easier. ;)

IMHO Ash

I don't plan it, honest ;). Anyway, the last three times my Discovery was stuck, my brother was driving :P

If you really want to use the two holes that I assume are double thickness then bolt in a couple of these lifting eyes .....(24mm holes)

Remember that the SWL figures quoted for lifting are uber safe ...........

ss-4a.jpg

:)

Ian

Thanks Ian, that was the other option. But I fear having to remove the bumper :( to get the nuts on the other end.

Those FF ones for 5mm plate are normally held in palce with a circlip on the front,

if you shove them through 10mm you'll have nothing to put the circlip on

nige

Nige, thanks, I had an e-mail from FF a couple of hours ago. They say I would have to get another grove machined in myself for the circlip to be in the right place.

I think what I'll do for this week is try and get hold of the wide jate rings as a stop gap measure. Then over the next couple of week I'll look at the lifting eyes to go into the holes that are already there.

I was looking at the M20 eye bolts we have in work a couple of weeks ago, with the intention of fitting them to my new landy, but noticed they only have a WLL of 1.3 ton :o

I ended up bending a bit of 20mm round into a U, and welding them down the inside of the chassis legs.

But as hinted above, for lifting the safety factor will be minimum 5x and if intended for lifting personnel I think the SF may be as much as 10x.

Most "standard" winch hooks are only rated/stamped to 2 tons... even the big swivel hook I have on my Milemarker is only stamped 3t, and that's on a 4.7t winch!