Cordless Impact Wrench on a budget

Ryan

Good evening guys and gals,

After using a borrowed cordless impact driver the other weekend whilst taking the prop off, I got to thinking - I want one :):D

However, I am on a budget. I have been having a quick trawl through various threads and unfortunately, most people seem to be using ones out of my price range -Ryobi, Bosch, DeWalt et al.

I want it to be 1/2" drive, preferably with two batteries and a quick charger. Performance-wise, if it can undo and do up a set of wheels on one battery, I'll be happy. It will need to be sub £100 so I have some money left over for a selection of impact sockets, unless there is a good deal going on a kit.

Any suggestions/recommendations? This thread has also been fuelled by an e-mail tonight from Machine Mart advertising this Clarke Impact Driver - anyone here use one? Any good?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi,

I cant recommend a budget one to buy, but i can sooooooooooo definetly recommend one NOT to buy.

I bought a b and q own make mcallister one, after reading up on the torque figures etc and it boasts more tourqe than the machine mart one you suggest so i thought ooooh sounds right to me!

Took it home, charged both batteries up till the lights on charger read full and went out to 90 hoping to be impressed :( Lots and lots of noise, 2 exhausted batteries later and 1 wheel nut off!

Cue me returning to b and q the following day.

Spend more money if you can - its one of these tools the more you pay the better the end product.

Davie

That Clarke one is available under a number of different badges and for a budget rattle gun it does the business. Mine came from Northerntools. Can do a few sets of wheel changes on one battery and has enough torque for most jobs unless the battery is getting low, but even then works well as a nut spinner if you crack then off.

I had one I got off ebay a couple of years ago. It was badged 'Leader', 24 volt i think with a decent max torque - would do the wheelnuts fairly well given a full charge and even the big nuts on the radius arms chassis ends. Did about a year then failed as the plastic case fatigued around the handle / battery holder.

Now got a high torque 1/2" air one off ebay (i think it was about £14) 500 ft. lbs max. run it off the garage compressor direct (no regulator) at 120psi (they're meant to work at 90psi :ph34r:) and it works great. The compressor is a small output compact one can't really keep up but i'm modifying an old LPG tank to use as a reservoir. Also runs off the A/C pump in the 90 though it needs >1500rpm to keep up for continuous use.

Edit: If you do go for one and want to use it on big seized things, aim for the largest torque value. The Clarke one in your link is 200nm or 147 ft lbs.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming :D

Just so you know, I don't have the option for air tools - wish I did, but I don't - so any suggestions will need to stick to the cordless requirement.

Thanks.

Take it as a sideways view if you like, but I think of a cordless wrench as either an essential, or a luxuary, never a (low) budget puchase. To me, £80+ on one tool is expensive, and as the general consensus (this and previous threads) is that the MM tool is barely acceptable, what is the point?

Not when the options are a flex handle and a standard cordless drill with a 1/2" adaptor.

Most of those three items you probably already have.

Personally, for wheel nuts, the most likely opportunity, I release the torque with the flex handle, transfer the socket to the drill and wind the nuts off like that.

Replacement sees them started by hand, to avoid crossed threads, wound on with the drill, then transfer the socket to the torque wrench.

I really don't find anything else that needs the speed of a motor driven wrench.

My drill is an old 9.6v Makita, so it is nowhere near as powerful as the sort of thing you get currently.

If you are working on these things to earn your bread and butter, then it's a different matter, but your budget is correspondingly larger, as it's an 'essential' item.

As I imply, possibly the alternative view ;-)

For occasional use, tempting though these 'shiny things' are it simply isn't worth spending the money. Wait till you win the lottery.

For every day or professional use buy one of the ones you reject as too expensive. Don't buy a cheapie.

And don't forget if you rarely use it sod's law says the batteries will be flat.

I bought a Ryobi one+ combination set of impact driver and hammer drill for £100.

The impact driver is a driver - it is designed primarily for driving screws in f'kin tight but has a 3/8 adapter for sockets.

It will undo wheel nuts if you give it some beans, but as others have suggested I crack them off with the pry bar and then spin them off with the Ryobi. I've yet to run the batteries flat on a job, and it's so fast and controllable I use it whenever I can.

The price initially put me off, but I justified it as I got a 'free' hammer drill for about the house ;)

It is superb, couldn't recommend it enough.....

Well, i'm going to go against the consensus and say that I really like my Clarke impact driver. It has enough oomph from a battery to take 4 wheels off my 90, and if they are a bit too tight, it has another battery waiting for it, fully charged. I would think of it more of a 'nut spinner' than anything else - I always finish off the tightening with a proper bar so that I can feel how tight it is being done up - don't want the wheels falling off when i'm on the motorway.

I wish that I could have afforded one of the nice dewalt jobbies, but I can't. I could afford a MM Clarke one, so went for that.

For occasional use - you can use a scuba dive tank. Only cost £2 to fill up.

:blink:

Or you can convert an air-con compressor on your 300TDI to run air tools

Food for thought ?

If you buy a 12v or 14v one you can bodge a ciggy lighter plug on the end, never run out then.

I like the on-board-air suggestion, reckon you could do it for under £100 if you tried too.

Edited to add: If you can stretch, Ryobi+ are excellent value.

You two are not helping :P. But seriously now :lol:, I think that's what Rich was doing on the D-Lander. I might have to pick his brains...I'm assuming I'd need some kind of reservoir, but then there would be the problem of running out of air for jobs when I'm working on the engine. John, you won't be happy until I have some kind of bodged 12v something with leads stuck in with silicone will you? :P

Take it as a sideways view if you like, but I think of a cordless wrench as either an essential, or a luxuary, never a (low) budget puchase. To me, £80+ on one tool is expensive, and as the general consensus (this and previous threads) is that the MM tool is barely acceptable, what is the point?

Not when the options are a flex handle and a standard cordless drill with a 1/2" adaptor.

Most of those three items you probably already have.

Personally, for wheel nuts, the most likely opportunity, I release the torque with the flex handle, transfer the socket to the drill and wind the nuts off like that.

Replacement sees them started by hand, to avoid crossed threads, wound on with the drill, then transfer the socket to the torque wrench.

I really don't find anything else that needs the speed of a motor driven wrench.

My drill is an old 9.6v Makita, so it is nowhere near as powerful as the sort of thing you get currently.

If you are working on these things to earn your bread and butter, then it's a different matter, but your budget is correspondingly larger, as it's an 'essential' item.

As I imply, possibly the alternative view ;-)

Thanks for your view David. I can see where you're coming from. However, for me that's not going to work. I'm assuming a flexi-handle is another name for a breaker bar...if so, yes I've got one of those. Regarding the cordless drill - mine lasts about four holes in wood and two in metal!! Doesn't last very long. Trouble is, there are a number of things I'm having to undo on the Discovery that haven't been undone in 13 years (I probably shouldn't have used the wheel nut example) - various suspension components for example. And because I have to do all of this with the Discovery on the ground (or axle stands) I don't have the room to swing a breaker bar.

Well, i'm going to go against the consensus and say that I really like my Clarke impact driver. It has enough oomph from a battery to take 4 wheels off my 90, and if they are a bit too tight, it has another battery waiting for it, fully charged. I would think of it more of a 'nut spinner' than anything else - I always finish off the tightening with a proper bar so that I can feel how tight it is being done up - don't want the wheels falling off when i'm on the motorway.

I wish that I could have afforded one of the nice dewalt jobbies, but I can't. I could afford a MM Clarke one, so went for that.

Again, thanks, and again, I think I should've stayed away from the wheel nut example. I would only be using it for taking off, not doing up (well not tight anyway). MikeTomcat would remove sensitive parts of my anatomy if I ever used a wizz gun to tighten wheel nuts :ph34r: I think alot of us would like a DeWalt jobbie. Now....what were Wednesday's lottery numbers....?

there are a number of things I'm having to undo on the Discovery that haven't been undone in 13 years (I probably shouldn't have used the wheel nut example) - various suspension components for example.

A rattle gun can help here as the shock/vibration often gets things undone that would possibly shear if using a breaker bar.

As for doing things up, wheel nuts included, I use the rattle gun then tighen by hand sometimes even with a torque wrench.

After using a borrowed cordless impact driver the other weekend whilst taking the prop off, I got to thinking - I want one :):D

However, I am on a budget. I have been having a quick trawl through various threads and unfortunately, most people seem to be using ones out of my price range -Ryobi, Bosch, DeWalt et al.

I want it to be 1/2" drive, preferably with two batteries and a quick charger. Performance-wise, if it can undo and do up a set of wheels on one battery, I'll be happy. It will need to be sub £100 so I have some money left over for a selection of impact sockets, unless there is a good deal going on a kit.

Any suggestions/recommendations? This thread has also been fuelled by an e-mail tonight from Machine Mart advertising this Clarke Impact Driver - anyone here use one? Any good?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks,

Ryan

This is not sub £100... but may be a bargain at Offer Price £140.95 inc VAT

285lb//ft

285 pound foot = 386.408 newton meter.....

As for doing things up, wheel nuts included, I use the rattle gun then tighen by hand sometimes even with a torque wrench.

I'll echo that - I used one to do the wheelnuts up on Jon's Hybrid thinking that it would probably overtighten them if anything. Next time he took it out they all loosened off and he nearly lost a wheel! :o

Richard

This is not sub £100... but may be a bargain at Offer Price £140.95 inc VAT

285lb//ft

285 pound foot = 386.408 newton meter.....

You could buy an aircompressor, air impact wrench + set of impact sockets for that (All clarke stuff from micromart).

What's the general consensus on the MM Clarke branded stuff - in particular the air tools and compressors ?

1/2" Air impact wrench with impact socket set £46.98inc.VAT (Maximum torque - 230 ft/lb.)

Clarke air compressor 5cfm £76.36inc.VAT

having to undo on the Discovery that haven't been undone in 13 years

I'm having the same issue with a J reg disco at the mo - thats why I have been looking at the Clarke air tools. When it can take two hours just to get a couple of bolts off, these things start to sound worthwhile.

I after replacing the front springs/shocks/discs, I reckon a decent impact wrench would have saved me about 1 day out of the last tow weekends.

Thanks all for the continuing recommendations. I'm still mulling the choices over.

You could buy an aircompressor, air impact wrench + set of impact sockets for that (All clarke stuff from micromart).

As I've already said, air tools are not an option for me at the moment (logistics problem).