Daily Driver Challenge Events - 29 Mar 08 - Wellington

JST

I'll second that! Had a wicked day, kissed a few tree's & caused a little panel damage but nothing too major :rolleyes:

Was a little slippery in some places and given my lack of a winch the waffles were well used! :lol::lol:

Thanks very much to all those involved with organising / running the day.

Cheers, Tinks B)

...an from today you will be officially be know as 'little miss panel damage' :P

What a top day out - thanks James!

I found it to be just the right balance of everything - punches, reading the ground, monkey having to work out the best route (me not listening and being proved wrong :lol: ) essentially as it said on the tin.

Thanks Bish for volunteering to jump in and out - hope you didn't get too cold!

Now where are the pics?? :lol:

I only have two... I think we were too busy to take more.

Culmhead1.jpg

Us after being winched by HonnitonHobbit and the red Disco...

Culmhead2.jpg

Us getting winched by Matt Neale (to the right, out of shot) in that pit at the bottom of the site we sand tracked our way into, came within 4 feet of the punch, couldn't make it over a tree root and had to be winched after trying to dig/sand track our way out. Sand tracks are quite heavy.

This is the first time I've ever come close to ground out the 90...

Shame it's on youtube, probably someone will take it as an example of how LRs are inferior or something...

I can strongly reccomend ignoring the advice of various knowledgeable friends and changing your winch in the car park, then finding that the hawse will no longer fit.

It is a testament to the skill of my winchman (Tim, thanks for the loan!) that we managed to avoid any damage to the winch rope, despite some fairly long winch runs. On one slope we had to re-rig about 8 times as we could only winch a few degrees past straight.

Thanks to Mr Neale for the help in changing the winch in under 20 minutes and for his tools, kettle, plasma cutter, lathe, milling machine and 'told you so'. Thanks to James, Darren, Dave, Bish and Ian for the additional 'told you so's.

I was very please with the TDS by the way

Oh and Ian, I gather you have once again emulated HFH and over tested your winch!

It is a testament to the skill of my winchman (Tim, thanks for the loan!)

Pleasure David,,hope you have not worn him out, !! :unsure:

In the hour or so i had spare on saturday,, to pop up and watch,, he certainly was doing a fair bit of running round, rigging strops etc,,

Gutted i could not enter this time !!

Well the weather certainly didn't help the conditions!

Thank you to Ian G for scrutineering and to Matt, Simon and Kevin for Marshalling for the day.

Well done to Ian H - who took home the spirit of the event prize who with Frank made a great team and were both smiling throughout the day.

3.5 picked up the Marshalls award after turning up with nearly road tyres and sticking it out to the end sand ladders and all, well done Sam.

I unfortunately only have a few pictures: (some of them include Mashalls who turned down winch recovery to use their new hand winches!)

post-53-1206903803_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903837_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903851_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903870_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903921_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903932_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903948_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903962_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903978_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206903998_thumb.jpg

Thanks to James and the marshals from me too. Had a good day, despite the weather ;) and Howard really enjoyed the day. We had a go at every punch we came across and he learnt a lot and feels that winch bitching is much better than being a gate monkey.

Just need to teach him some better spotting skills ;) ..Although with the weather I can't blame him for prefering the passenger seat and he had me to deal with as a driver..

oops007Medium.jpg

oops003Medium.jpg

oops004Medium.jpg

and this one I did going up a climb late in the day when it was nice and slippy. Well that's my excuse for glancing a tree..

oops002Medium.jpg

Only prob was that on the M25 the spat started to detach itself and flap about against the tyre and the wing. :rolleyes::rolleyes: So had to pull over and cut off the rest of the plastic rivets. Rest of the drive back was hassle free though, and we were back by 8.20pm with a food stop too.

It was good to catch up with some familiar faces again and meet some new faces.

Cheers

Steve

BentStep1.jpg

Do you think I'll get anything for them on the for sale section? :lol:

Thanks for that award too, really unexpected. "Most stuck" was more likely, I thought!

Out of interest, did anyone else have problems on that track to the rear of that field where we started, on the side Jame's truck was parked? We went down that through the wood, tried to get to the punch on the right, left the ruts and the back end tried to slip out every time I'd move forward, until it was on the edge of a huge hole side on in front of the punch, facing the wrong way.... we had to tow rope it to a tree to stop it going any further before we got some guys in a white disco (think they were marshalls) to winch us... I thought it was going to go over, not fun.

oops002Medium.jpg

Only prob was that on the M25 the spat started to detach itself and flap about against the tyre and the wing.

Actually Steve it was flapping in the breeze when I passed you on the M5 near Bridgwater :ph34r::ph34r: . I assumed you new so didn't make a fuss at the time ooops. :(

Nice one James, cracking day, thanks for the award for the stupid face!!! Excellent learning curve, must remember to stop driving into trees!!!! Thanks to Simon for looking after my son who I saw twice during the whole day , the only problem being is that he wants his own truck now!!!!

Seriously though anyone reading this who did not go but thought they might have liked to ...... DO IT... relaxed day, huge learning curve, everyone out to help each other, and a great taster for further days to come!!!!!!!!

Lastly thanks to Frank, my Bi""h nice one mate, hope you still managed to impress the new girlfriends sister at dinner and didn't fall asleep in your soup!!!!

Ian

Yes, another excellent event from James B) ………………… The punches were an excellent mix and some were made more difficult once the rain came in and the ground went from damp to wet…………..

By 1:00pm we had 17 punches then the MM side cheek shattered on the motor side whilst not pulling particularly hard……………. a big thanks to Steve & Howard for the recovery to the top of the slope……………….

I haven’t had a real chance to look at the winch yet but the 5mm face of the winch tray is bent and there is a 20mm gap in the top of the winch casing at the point of the split. I strongly suspect that the weld on the end of drum has let go…………..

Once the rain came in, even with gloves on, I was unable to keep any dressing protection on the open hand wound from the accident on the previous evening. The hand was proving troublesome and painful so we called it a day at 1:30 :( …………………. I guess if it has stayed dry, then we would have carried on until the close………….

However, we achieved what we had set out to do……….test the new tyres and it was my son’s first intro into this type of event, although he is a very experienced off road driver.

:)

Ian

Guest WALFY
its a bit shinny though

reminds me that i have 10 arches kickign around must get around to fitting a set!

WHY???

Do you use your truck enough to warrant putting arches on? :P

Guest WALFY

Where's the "Up yours Orange" smillie when you want it :P

It was a break really. I was in front with a red flag for Jo to start off with :D

Steady Boys the Mods will be in deleting everything!

Anyway next event is the 7 Jun at Wellington for anyone interested new thread to follow.

Another duff date, for me !! hey-ho,

Note to Mods, this is not OT and a relevant post :rolleyes: