Brake piston retraction tool

MogLite

Pushing the pistions back in the calipers in a PITA, when changing the pads etc.

Would one of these help ?

APOWERLARGE52335_CWT2.jpg

Seems like it will be pretty universal

Or is there a better design ?

I've always managed with a wide flat tyre lever and adjustable. This looks rather fiddly.

How many pistons will it push in at a time?

If it pushes one, then no help on a twin pot caliper, and if it pushes two, then no good on a four-pot one. I have a special one for pushing in pistons that have to be turned as they go in.

Is that a new tool? I've not seen one of those before

Les.

I use 2 pieces of thin steel that clamp over the piston and two bolts to push the piston in (this was mgb - can;t remember if it was 1 or 2 pistons, probably 1, I suppose I could go and look as the book is less than 7 feet away but can;t be asked B) .)

That Draper tool's precisely what I use, and I've found it does the job admirably.

My Golf needs a rotary tool for the rear caliper pistons, as the handbrake works on the rear wheels.'' I bought one, as I have various family cars to deal with, but over here, Canadian Tire will lend you a tool for free if you buy your pads from them.

I've always found those cube things with the various-sized tits on them which you're supposed to use with a 3/8" socket to rotate the pistons to retract the handbrake mechanism absolutely bloody useless.

- Richard

Pushing the pistions back in the calipers in a PITA, when changing the pads etc.

Would one of these help ?

APOWERLARGE52335_CWT2.jpg

Seems like it will be pretty universal

Or is there a better design ?

Don't know andy but made by the company my cousins misses owns. So must be pretty good.

That Draper tool's precisely what I use, and I've found it does the job admirably.

My Golf needs a rotary tool for the rear caliper pistons, as the handbrake works on the rear wheels.'' I bought one, as I have various family cars to deal with, but over here, Canadian Tire will lend you a tool for free if you buy your pads from them.

I've always found those cube things with the various-sized tits on them which you're supposed to use with a 3/8" socket to rotate the pistons to retract the handbrake mechanism absolutely bloody useless.

- Richard

[Homer] Hmmmmmmm, Canadian Tyre.......[/Homer]

Many a weekend (and a fair few $$$) spent there..... :D:D