What Size Mud Terrains?

Paul64

Hi,

I'm back in the UK at the moment and going to Craddocks this week to buy my Mud terrains. The size is causing me a headache. Everyone has a different opinion. Wide for bigger surface area, narrow to cut through and maintain momentum. I had planned to buy 265/75x16, but a guy with a two inch lift said they were too big on his RR and rubbed on full lock?

As you know from the photos re 1 horsepower in Transylvania, there is a lot of mud, especially at this time of year. I'm not interested at all in looking good, I just want the most practical choice. I would say I have a one inch lift. So what would you buy?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul

Hello,i only use my 90 for laning and offroading so i have a set of chagos muds 235s which are great for laning and i have some 37.8"x15.5 boggers for when i go across wet fields or wet play days.But i do have a choice of cars to use so i am lucky my landy is more like a toy .If i only had the 90 i would leave it standard drive wise and have a quiet ,,wide mud tyre as i find on mud fields if the tyre is to narrow it cuts in and sinks to the diff where as my boggers fly over the top like on tarmac,I have tested the tyres back to back on different terrians and the standard size muds coped realy well at all times but the boggers as they are named go though boggey ground 100% better.So i would say if funds allow have two sets but if you use big tyres it costs a few pounds to upgrade the drive system but its dam good

I don't think there is "an answer". Bigger is better for ruts and rocks, but in deep mud you'll just be further from the shore when everything stops. Wider will 'float' to an extent, but the truck is around 2 tonnes so it's no Sno-Cat. It'll make a difference in marginal situations though, so it depends on your expected use.

For 90% road use, laning and playdays (plus maybe another challenge - one day!) I'm on the 255 BFGs but I'd be tempted to go more aggressive if I did less road work. At the end of the day, buy what looks like the best deal, you'll still get stuck one day :)

Paul

due to the motorway miles you do I would probably stick to BFGs for their manners and longevity. The 265/75s will give you no problems on the 110 concerning rubbing etc but depending on your wheels you may need to adjust the stops to prevent rubbing on the radius arms. No big deal though. As mo has said though the 255/85 are perhaps a better allround tyre for your needs. They are a bit higher (give you another cms or so under the diffs, have a larger rolling circumference and are a bit narrower so will give better mpg on long motorway runs. As long as you haven't fitted a Disco transfer box then you will have no issues with this size.

Mark

Thanks,

Is your LR suspension standard height MO?

Thanks bombx3. I need a good all rounder Mud terrain and my budget won't stretch to two sets. thanks for the advice though. I need a bit of width by the sounds of it as the mud at this time of year is everywhere!

Thanks Mark and John,

When on my long haul road use I will be running on my 7.50x16 Wrangler AT's. The MT's will be for local Transylvania use only and will be a 50-50% combo of Mud and tarmac. However, tarmac in my area is a pot hole obstacle course! I am beginning to like the idea of 255/85r16. I have a standard 110 gearbox.

255/85r16 BFG Mud Terrains. I think these are the best combination of effective tread pattern, height, width, durability and longevity. I won't be the only one recommending these ;)

Mo

Wot he said ^^^^^ :i-m_so_happy:

you should see well in excess of 50,000miles out of a new set :D

Hi Paul,

its another vote for 255 BFG MT. I got a set about a year ago when my much loved Trac Edges finally gave up. Twas a seriously good move, I do a mix of greenlanes,pay n play and road miles and they have been nothing less than superb.

I have a Disco transfer box and my 300 Tdi pulls this setup fine (admittedly got a larger intercooler, straight through exhaust,fuel pump tweaked & a K&N - road use only, convert back to standard filter offroad).

Do it! But for the love of god - make sure the white lettering goes on the inside.....

im running 265/75/16 on my non lifted 110 van and have no problems at all and i did not need to adjust the steering lock. my tyres are the same tread pattern as BFG MT but they are insa dakars.

I've always used 265/75's on mine, be it with standard suspension or with small lifts, never had a problem. The 255 are slightly taller, but will alter your gearing but its marginal.

Whatever you do, unless BFG are giving them for free, put the white letters in!

I've always used Colway 265/75 MTs with standard (very saggy) suspention and a 2 inch lift. Never had problems with rubbing and great on the road. Personaly I would buy them again if I didnt need somthing a bit better for the mud. they performed so well on the road and even out perform many AT and road tyres that I've driven on with other Landrovers.

For a D110 255/85x16 is a perfect size.

You can get BFG MT or Cooper DiscovererST, these are the 2 main tyres in this size.

I was looking for the above size on Craddock's web site fitted with steel rims. They advertise most sizes but not this one. Do you know of any good wheel/tyre packages going at the moment?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul

My 110 had 255x85x16 bfg muds on here in Romania bought in the uk and were/are my preferred choice.

A couple of weeks back driving on the Auto Strada between Ploiesti and Bucharest i had a front tyre disintegrate (major brown trouser moment at 80mph)

i ended up replacing a set of 4 BFG's with 265x75x16 as they were the only size available in 16 inch in Roimania might be worth thinking about cost me 740 Euros here for 4 in Bucharest.

If your interested i've 4 Army wolf black wheels in bucharest as spares

James

Paul

My 110 had 255x85x16 bfg muds on here in Romania bought in the uk and were/are my preferred choice.

A couple of weeks back driving on the Auto Strada between Ploiesti and Bucharest i had a front tyre disintegrate (major brown trouser moment at 80mph)

i ended up replacing a set of 4 BFG's with 265x75x16 as they were the only size available in 16 inch in Roimania might be worth thinking about cost me 740 Euros here for 4 in Bucharest.

If your interested i've 4 Army wolf black wheels in bucharest as spares

James

I'm off to Craddocks in the morning to see what they have on the shelf. I will probably get 255/85x16 if available. I will also see what they can do in the way of a wheel+tyre package. However, please PM me with what you want for your rims. By the way, 80mph in a 110! I can only dream of speeds like that. What engine and gearing have you got?

I travelled along the same road 3 weeks ago with Scotian on my way to the airport. He was also having a brown trouser moment, but that was his swivel rather than his tyre! I think a parts and accessories business may be in order looking at the prices and availabilty in RO.

Cheers, Paul

I'm off to Craddocks in the morning to see what they have on the shelf. I will probably get 255/85x16 if available.

If you have the time then shop around for your tyres, they can vary in price by a lot. On the wheel front, after my experience and that of others, I would suggest that modular or 8-spoke wheels may not be the best choice due to their apparent propensity to get mud or other debris in between the rim and the tyre resulting in a slow puncture. I would suggest tubeless Wolf rims and 255/85s as the ideal and since changing to these I have not had any such issues. I run my wheels/tyres on my 110 SW with standard suspension.

Chris