Quality of posts/threads

Les Henson

Yes, it's so you know someone is already interested, so you don't get the hump when they are sold to someone else.

When I've sold I always do a strict queue so there can be no favoritism.

Does this mean you'll be clearing posts that are replies, but show no relevence to the question?

ie.

Q. How economical is your disco Td5?

A. My 300 defender does 30mpg. :)

I would also add (though there is relatively little rubbish in the Discovery forum and I rarely delete anything) that it takes 10 seconds to delete a post and 2 minutes to write a PM to the poster to explain why, so if something gets put in the bin then don't necessarily expect a PM explaining why because on the whole as unpaid volunteers in the business of running the website, we have other things to do with our time ;)

I hope this isn't going to go the way of the mud-club forum.. which is moderated/ censored in way that the North Korean/ Zimbabwean/ Taliban governments would be proud of...

We haven't changed the moderation policy, but we have had a large influx of new members, who maybe don't know the standard to which we like to work. Most people who come here do so because it is strongly on topic and the only way to keep it that way is to enforce the moderation rules. This is really just to let people know why some of the less useful replies and threads are diappearing without the need for mods to send a pm to everyone involved....

;)

Mark

(a mod...)

I suppose that given I don't have a Land Rover, of any description, at the moment and it is unlikely I will be getting another one in the near future, I, therefore, have little to offer in the What I have just done, Where I have just been and Can you help me with... posts.

I have a wealth of historic experience in driving and building many things but I wish to be able to do more then just say Do this Land Rover thing, Don't do that Land Rover thing, Try this Land Rover product and Use the forum's search function. I was looking to be on a forum of like minded people, people who like the brand and also who like other related areas, military, agricutural, engineering, etc. all around a theme of messing about off (and on) road rather then a data base of one make vehicle maintenance and parts supply. Maybe I am in the wrong place.

So where does a build story sit when it uses non Land Rover chassis, axles, wheels, body, engine, transmission or appearance? Or a camping trailer build that isn't based on a Sankey?

I can appreciate that some of you want to keep the forum within a very tight set of limitations but for those who are new to Land Rovers, or the forum, who might need more to help them get involved, who might not know what is there to be searched for, who have other experiences or interests relating to, or around, their chosen vehicle it, may possibly take the fun out of posting here if they have to think very carefully what they say and how on topic it will be.

Deleting or locking someone's thread because it is deemed not on topic enough, especially for a newbie, can feel quite excluding and damage the chance of joining the comaradre that clearly exists between longstanding members.

Some of you are friends, others may want to be friends but it is difficult to make friends with a limited range of communication. It is also difficult to get involved without a vehicle or when one is a novice.

Some of you do amazing things off road and in the workshop, and that is great, but it is easy for a novice to be in awe of that but not know how to get involved further when they have little or no driving and building experience. It is worth remembering that we all, at some point, asked simple or stupid questions or just wanted to talk about, or around, something to get the confidence to become more involved. It will be a shame if that is lost for keeping on topic and telling people to use the search facility.

I haven't found a forum as good as this (and recently I have been looking as I have been more and more aware of trying not to post anything not immediately on topic as it would get frowned upon) but maybe we could do with a little slack or a seperate bit of forum for slightly off topic discussion that has a short cut off for old threads, maybe nothing older then a month, just so that people can open up a little with the rest of their related interests and questions.

Anyway, just my feelings.

NT

As a start, it is worth reading the forum charter (also linked to under the title):

This forum has been established to provide an independent and open place for discussing and sharing information and activities relating to Land Rovers and related subjects.

We strongly encourage input from anyone with something releavent, regardless of what they own now - Look at dirtydiesels Mog axled g-wagen thread for example!

We strongly encourage questions from people new to their vehicles, but we encourage use of the search function even more!

However, if your comments don't really contribute to the discussion, then they will be removed. With all due respect, adding 'here here' to a topic does not further the discussion... <_<

As I said, read the charter - it's short but it gets the idea across.

:)

Mark

Whilst we're on the subject of quality; yes I know that I should rise above it and not correct people on their spelling and grammar but I have to say something or I'll lose it... It isn't too hard to check what you've written.

often to be seen written as:

yes I know that I should rise above it and not correct people on there spelling and grammar but I have to say something or I'll loose it... It isn't to hard too check what you've written.

Lose and Loose

To and Too

Their and There and They're

all different for a reason

rant over

I appreciate what you are saying Mark and don't disagree with the basis of the rules and the allowence that is often made. That is one of the reasons I am still here. I can mention Scammells in a thread on six wheel drive, I can ask if someone knows about welding something non vehicle related once in a while as an off topic subject, I can post a link to a video that isn't of a Land Rover. However, if the rules were enforced too strictly then it can make it very difficult for someone new to the fun of off road driving, Land Rover ownership and forums to feel a part of the community.

In the past I was a member of a Land Rover owners club. It was Land Rover owners only but then the secretary got a Suzuki instead and people joined because they liked Land Rovers but didn't have one, then modifieds joined and some were not Land Rover based so it was brought back to Land Rovers only rather then a general off road club. However, when we met in the pub every Wednesday evening we talked about everything and so we got on and got to know each other as real people, families, members of other clubs, folks with the same trade skills, members of armed forces, farmers etc. It was all kept out of the club magazine and the events but it meant that we were real people to each other and not just drivers and competitors. It makes it easier as the outlet was there when we met in the pub to just relax and talk about stuff that was more loosely related then would normally be acceptable.

Might be sticking my head out....but here goes....couldn't we have an "Off Topic" forum where you could dicuss whatever you like as long as it's not; illegal, offensive to others, etc, etc, etc...

I'm a menber of few downhill mountain biking forums and they all have the "Chill Zone"

Just a thought :)

I hope this isn't going to go the way of the mud-club forum.. which is moderated/ censored in way that the North Korean/ Zimbabwean/ Taliban governments would be proud of...

Not at all. There has simply been an influx of newcomers and this thread should be seen as a bit of gunfire in front of the bows of one or two to ensure they know where the boundaries are just in case there are any egos inflating prematurely.

There is no fundamental change in policy, as the charter says:

"This forum has been established to provide an independent and open place for discussing and sharing information and activities relating to Land Rovers and related subjects."

Related subjects can cover a wide range of things - including a camping trailer which will be used in Land Rover expeditions, to use one example mentioned above as have nothing directly to do with Land Rovers.

I would also say that if the user is a newbie stepping over the line (e.g. advertising something in the forums as a 1st post) then I would think a PM welcoming them, explaining why the post was removed and directing them to the charter etc would be sent and it is only in the case of somebody persistently being a tit that the delete button would be exercised without notification. My experience is that 99% of the people who have been trimmed up apologise and behave themselves and it was usually a genuine mistake.

Sorry for this part of post being off topic - Fridgefreezer - nice bunny

I can see the relevance of this post and like you said lots of topics have been covered before and over and over again, but indefence of people asking questions at times you can do a search and there is so much appears it can be a bit "where do i start" and if you are in a hurry it can be very time consuming,

With regards to suggestions of a "chill out / General" section, it is a good idea but like some other forums i go on (not all landrover), it can becoming silly, bitchy, that sort of thing if there was to be one then it may be more work for the already busy, voluteneers that run this forum

just my thoughts

I do have no issues with the moderation and think that a fine job has been done with good balance.

But maybe the trial of an OT space as mentioned might help and allow for the short life threads like 'Watch 'x' on TV as it might be interesting though OT' or 'Here's the pole trailer I finally built around a set of Land Rover tail lights' or 'Crashed my car anyone local to recommend a garage?' types of thread.

It might also allow for the 'Any one local to me fancy a pint or to lend a hand?' threads.

If threads had an automaticaly short shelf life based on the date of first post then it would also stop conversations going on in there dominating the forum. Maybe a couple of weeks and it is locked and then deleted after four weeks?

It would need someone with time to mod it though to save the existing mods even more work.

I've got to be off now, too much work to do.

Mark & Bogmonster's posts sum things up nicely. Nothing has changed - we're sticking to the same tried and trusted outlook and methods that have made the place the success it is.

The off topic area has been discussed on more than one occasion and I don't see anything set to change on that front.

As a few have already said - the rules haven't changed. We have clamped down on excessive off topic stuff before, but due to the greater number of members that we have now, this needs to be made more public. The small amount of what can be termed 'chat' is ok, but when it starts to dominate the website - we have to pull the reins in otherwise this place becomes a bluddy chicken shed. As MOG says - we have discussed an O/T or chat forum before and mostly because it'll bleed over from or to the other forums, we won't be having one for the forseeable future.

We decided on a forum charter some time ago and before it was instigated we posted up for peoples comments or suggestions. It's clear people don't read it when they register otherwise we wouldn't have so many newbies posting carp most of the time, and there wouldn't be a need for this kind of dig in the collective ribs. We all post rubbish sometimes - me, the other mods, long-standing members, and so-on. The main core of this website is Land Rovers, always has been, and always will be. If anyone objects to how this website is run, then there's always the virual door you came in.....

Les :)

My thoughts !!

We have survived for nearly 3 years now, with a few tweaks along the line, and the forums seams to have a correct balance which is all down to the work of admin and Moderators alike (Thanks guys)

mmgemini has a point, their are other things that people do, and their will be topics that are repeated,

their are, after all only so many things you can talk about on the subject of "Land rover's" surely :unsure: !! but do agree, the search facility should be the first point of call !!

Their are OT subject's brought up in the international section, as Night Train has listed, are these what the moderators see as "anyone makes a rubbish post" because i see these posts as making the forum community spirit

Maybe it is time to trail a OT section ? but i can see it drifting from the already listed sections ?

Can also see Richards (Top90) point, as a "PM sent" post in the sales/wanted section, does tend to define a pecking order, (as i had a couple of disappointed members for items)

To say to a new member 'go away and use the search button' comes across as rude.

I find the search facility almost useless as far too many tenuously related posts come up.Maybe I don't know how to use it properly.

The general quality of posting,and of moderation is very good.This is certainly the best such forum based in th U.K. :)

To say to a new member 'go away and use the search button' comes across as rude.

I find the search facility almost useless as far too many tenuously related posts come up.Maybe I don't know how to use it properly.

The general quality of posting,and of moderation is very good.This is certainly the best such forum based in th U.K. :)

No, not rude and is not meant that way, it just makes sense to check to see if the information that is being asked for has been given already.

So when you all as members of LR4x4 meet at a show or other place.

All you talk about is Land Rovers ?

mike

:rolleyes:

As you well know Mike, there are plenty of other forums that have sections for social discussion, 'virtual friends' etc - given that why does LR4x4 have to be the same??

Also there is nothing stopping you or anyone else using PM, or picking up the phone to talk about other things. It's easy you know ;)

I don't understand this constant quest to get LR4x4 to be like other forums. It was set out to be a mostly technical forum. This format clearly doesn't suit all, but when you have 5-6 other LR forums that do what is the issue?

Cheers

Steve