Rough Country Or Pro Comp?

Hi

I am in the process of getting bits to put together a new suspension system with a 2" lift. I cant afford Old Man Emu shocks so they are out of the question, so the two choices that i have come up with are either Pro Comp or Rough Country both in 11" shocks. In you opinions which is better?

Tris

Not had any experience of rough country but pro comp are poor. Ive had them on my 90 and disco, Both sets failed, one within six months and the others at 18 month. They do however replace them but id rather just have a decent product to start with. They were under-damped from new for both on and off road, faded with an hour or so off roading and the shafts rust quickly. They are cheap but not good value for money, they should at least work better and last a good deal longer!

I have rough country and I have to say that I like them. They are soft but I like my suspension setup to be soft, and out there in the real world off road, when crawling around up steep slops, crossing and getting out of tracks, articulation etc. they are very good allowing very free movment to the axle. Also you cannot get a better guy who sells them and free advice, gwyn lewis :)

I wouldn't fit Pro comps to a wheel barrow. For a gas charged emulsion damper they fail so easily, and so many to fail, it leads me to believe they are poorly built with even poorer materials. And after custom building, tunning and rebuilding suspension dampers for the last 19yrs fitted to everything from MTBs to Formula SAE race cars to Helicopers. I know what I'm talking about ;)

After extremely poor service from Pro-Comp directly I'd rather stick wasps up my bottom (thanks Sticky) than buy another Pro-Comp product.

I've replaced my rear 2 shocks with Rough Country items and while they don't seem to damp any differently to the Pro-Comps, The quality (a stainless jubilee clip for the gaiter should you choose to use it and nyloc nuts for the bottom pins) and the service from David at Llama 4x4 was exemplary and you get a forum discount too :) So the Rough Country get my vote.

HTH

Mo

I have had both procomps and rough country and would echo the above Procomp's failed really quickly and looked to be badly made from poor materials, rough country seem to be of much better construction (especially for the cost) and work well. Plus David at LLama 4x4 is a top bloke to deal with should you have any problems.

Must admit I'm quite suprised reading this. Pro-comp shocks used to be good. I've not got experience of the most recent versions of pro comp products, but from only a couple of years back they were about the only budget shock that you could do a comp safari on and not destroy. I've seen de-carbons, bilsteins and old man emu all explode after about 2 laps of slab common each, but the pro-comps survived - and even with enough heat in the shock to turn the shaft purple.

I guess they've obviously gone down hill a bit of recent. Shame really. I have pro-comps on my truck which are probably 3 years old now, and have never given me any trouble.

*runs off to treat shocks to a fresh coat of paint*

Guest WALFY

I've got Pro Comps fitted to my 90. Been fitted for about 2 1/2 yrs. No problems. I thought they were going to fail the MOT as the main body has some big dents. So PM'd Dave at LLama 4x4 for a quote. 2 weeks and still no reply :( . So as and when they need replacing I'll get pro Comps again.

i put rough country shocks on my old hybrid before i sold it, as the pro comps that were on there were knackered then when i got hold of my last discover it had roug country +5 shocks and there were brilliant much better build than pro comp and look to be alot stronger built.

Must admit I'm quite suprised reading this.

I'm with you Dave. A mate had Pro-Comps on a 2 inch lifted 90 and they were brilliant. Seemed to perform very well.

They do seem to have a bad name of late tho' and Rough Country are gaining ground; RCs do seem to be the budget shock choice of the moment.

But for a non-race truck I still rate OME as the fit and forget option.

I've had the same set of procomps on my 90 for the past 5 years and they are still going strong. i did have one failure about a month after fitting them, it started leaking and was replaced on a next day courier from procomp direct.

Bodies are fairly rusty now and could do with a lick of paint, but the shafts are still shiny and they are excellent offroad.

as others have said - maybe the newer procomps are of a poorer build quality....

Hi

I am in the process of getting bits to put together a new suspension system with a 2" lift. I cant afford Old Man Emu shocks so they are out of the question, so the two choices that i have come up with are either Pro Comp or Rough Country both in 11" shocks. In you opinions which is better?

Tris

ive just fitted pro comp and im bricking it now!!! who do you go to if they fail??? the shop or pro comp direct??? theyve only been 3 weeks,i thought they looked okay,but then again i brought mine from john craddock 4x4 who has been the worst ever shop to deal with,im doing a topic on it later :blink::angry:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i had one fail the pin on the bottom snapped and i rang the shop an they replace it straight away (cheviot 4x4)

also i had a bush split recently an got a new one free coz they were pro comps but didnt get it from that shop

not had any problems with them other than that had them on for 1-2yrs now

when i do tho i'm going to look into a different set

i think pro comp has gone down the route of if it breaks replace it but has had a knock on affect that the faults with the product arent fixed because they arent addressed

dave

I had Pro-Comps on the rear of my Ninety about 3 years ago. They were too soft right from the start, really bouncy, and quite scary if towing heavy stuff. After a year or so I took them off, no sign of any gas left in either of them.

I only went Pro-Comp 'cos i couldn't afford new de Carbons at the time. I had snapped the bottom off one of them after 5 years abuse and needed new shocks PDQ. Now back to de-Carbons for excellent ride and handling.

No experience of Rough Country stuff though, so I can't knock them.

Michael

ive just fitted pro comp and im bricking it now!!! who do you go to if they fail??? the shop or pro comp direct??? theyve only been 3 weeks,i thought they looked okay,but then again i brought mine from john craddock 4x4 who has been the worst ever shop to deal with,im doing a topic on it later :blink::angry:

Your warranty is with the dealer you purchased them from. Not "their" supplier

Personally i think pro comps are more than VFM at the price if you cant stretch to OME

As for only lasting 18mth-2 yrs can you reasonably expect more considering the average offroad abuse they get?

They are after all from the budget end

Not had any experience of rough country but pro comp are poor. Ive had them on my 90 and disco, Both sets failed, one within six months and the others at 18 month. They do however replace them but id rather just have a decent product to start with. They were under-damped from new for both on and off road, faded with an hour or so off roading and the shafts rust quickly. They are cheap but not good value for money, they should at least work better and last a good deal longer!

Hi Steve just curius what you do use on your truck?

Thanks Adrian

Personally i think pro comps are more than VFM at the price if you cant stretch to OME

As for only lasting 18mth-2 yrs can you reasonably expect more considering the average offroad abuse they get?

They are after all from the budget end

Sorry but 18 months on a 100% ROAD going disco and only 6 months on an off roader is not value for money at any price.

Even when new they were rubbish. The damping was so poor that my 90 used to tramp the axle badly when on rough hill climbs which was never a problem with the decarbons I had previously. Decarbons get a slating but the fact of it is they work and last better than pro comp and are near enough the same price. I now have OME which are more expensive but worth 20 times more than a pro comp and in comparison much better value for money.

In fact thinking about it im sure there's a trading standards issue in there somewhere as im sure they are not fit for the purpose they are sold for. 18 months on a road going vehicle is very poor even for a "budget" shock.

Well it looks like im going for Rough Country shocks then. the set up that im looking to get is Gwyn Lewis challenge front turrets, and rear shock mounts, as well as extended hoses from David at llama 4x4 and finally home made dislocation cones from ade (cheers mate).

Cheers for all your help

Tris

Well it looks like im going for Rough Country shocks then. the set up that im looking to get is Gwyn Lewis challenge front turrets, and rear shock mounts, as well as extended hoses from David at llama 4x4 and finally home made dislocation cones from ade (cheers mate).

Cheers for all your help

Tris

Just buy everything from gwyn lewis you know its right then! :D

I've got Pro Comps fitted to my 90. Been fitted for about 2 1/2 yrs. No problems. I thought they were going to fail the MOT as the main body has some big dents. So PM'd Dave at LLama 4x4 for a quote. 2 weeks and still no reply :( . So as and when they need replacing I'll get pro Comps again.

You would definitely need the patience of a turtle and even more... I sent a mail in January this year to Llama. I am still waiting for a reply :blink: