Bearmach Springs

darthdicky

Looking to stiffen up the rear suspension a little bit on the 90 as it's a bit soft in the corners, and sometimes hits the bumpstops over sharp bumps where I'd prefer it didn't.

Currently got NRC4304 red/white RR HD 170lb/in 17.7" rears in there which are fantastic off road and fit perfectly with the +2" shocks without dislocating.

I've noticed that Bearmach do a BA2105 disco rear 17.2" 194lb/in spring, which I think might reduce the body roll a little, raise the rear a little and hopefully not dislocate if I put a couple of jubilee clips at the top...

Anyone use them? Also, Britpart now do some yellow springs but I can't find free length/poundage ratings for them - anyone know of anything similar? Don't want to go too hard on the poundage as I like my suspension to work :D

Cheers,

Richard

PS. Nige, what rear springs did you end up with?

My TD5 is running Bearmach rear std replacement springs that are stiffer (dont have figures to hand) and made mine +2" over std ride ht. These were meant to be a std ht replacement! I have stuck with them as the are excellent for towing. no complaints from them, but i would check Bearmachs poundage with scruitiny as mine and others i know who have them find them generally stiffer than other makes for the same poundage. £35 mine were.

Or try a set of rangie police rear srpings allround £55 for 4 craddocks i think.

Or try a set of rangie police rear srpings allround £55 for 4 craddocks i think.

That's what he's got. But at 170lb/in they are quite soft.

I think the yellow Britpart springs are quite stiff, can't find any figures for them though.

Or the blue pro-comp exploer springs....

Do you find them ok at the front? I'm thinking of the same for my 90, possibly, I have a few spring combinatiosn to try.

Hi DD

I've got a set of rear yellows you can try that were off the Hybrid. I fitted the NRC4304's on the rear and they were softer.

I can bring them along to Paul's day on the 15th and then one of the crew coming from the west can hopefully bring them back for you.

Cheers

Steve

Hmmm... maybe they are a bit stiffer than they claim then. Looking at a few old pics of yours Les it looked like it was on stilts compared to mine! If you get a 2" lift on the standard HD ones James then I think these might be a bit too much for what I want. Shame as I think the figures are about spot on...

Mark, any idea of heights/poundages for the Procomp ones? I'll put up another post about the front springs with some pictures...

Steve, those yellow ones would definately be worth a try if you don't want them. I might be able to persuade Jonathan to pop along to Pauls day and pick them up if he's not busy. Not sure if he can play then though as the MOT is due sometime.

Nige, as I say I just want the rear a bit stiffer and not to hit the (admittedly lowered, but they had to be to stop it rubbing the tub on every bump!) bumpstops so often, without going overly stiff and loosing the flexibility it's got. Cutting the tub is not an option yet! :P

So in pictures:

Less body roll

IMG_5948.jpg

Keep the flex

IMG_5816.jpg

And lift the rear slightly to stop the nose up tendency when there's stuff in the back

IMG_5938.jpg

Not asking much am I!

Richard

Les,

consider yourself lucky then.

I have had LR that sit twisted, drop after a few months, sir wrong and basically driven the owners potty - fixed with me fitting a set of std new genuine springs or slighly increaded if winch eqipped etc

the number of people who have said "Yeah well, its sagging a bit, so I thought I'd fit a set of HD springs" WHY FFS ?

The genuines on it have done 100,000 plus miles, just fit NEW !

Right, rnat over, DD how much do you wnat to raise the rear up by ?

If you increase poundage you will gain on road manners and LOOSE flex......thats a fact

WEIGHT your 90 total then front then rear and post up

Nige

The springs we fitted lifted the 90 over 4-inches initially Richard. The height settled abit, but they were too long. This wasn't the fault of Bearmach, but rather our choice as we got fed-up with chopping and changing the first and second supplied ones to try to get the vehicle level. The wrong springs were in the wrong boxes, and information supplied was wrong on a couple of occasions. We decided to fit 4 springs of the same size and type, which finally got the 90 level, but made it high as you know. If the springs had been supplied correctly in the first place, things would have been a lot easier at least. Even with the springs that were finally fitted, the ride was comfortable and body roll was ok too.

Les. :)

Not sure where the nearest weighbridge is Nige so I was just going on what is on there now and what I want to change...

Basically want it a bit stiffer, but not as stiff as standard 90 rears so I'd imagine around 200lb/in, and a height to match preferably around 17" as then I shouldn't need dislocation cones and it won't lift it a ridiculous amount. I haven't seen any genuine springs like this, only thing that might be about right is a 16" 210lb/in Disco V8 rear but that would need dislocation cones...

Richard

If you want info on Pro Comp speak to Mike

I run Britpart medium +2's on my rear (oooer) but am about to change to some s/h OME jobbies, as the progressive nature of the Britparts is getting a bit saggy when heavily loaded

I have recently had a experience of TJM stuff - OME but painted yellow - very good. About 90 quid a pair IIRC

Hi DD

I've got a set of rear yellows you can try that were off the Hybrid. I fitted the NRC4304's on the rear and they were softer.

I can bring them along to Paul's day on the 15th and then one of the crew coming from the west can hopefully bring them back for you.

Cheers

Steve

mmm

easy tiger :lol:

I have very soft B springs and have no trouble at all getting over obsticals but I regret going for +4 shocks due to them letting the car roll too much at high speed. :ph34r::ph34r:

but I was testing them out so I can't complain there is no sag or drop from any of the springs and all the shocks are still like new after two years.

were as sagging after only two miles like some spring set ups I have owned in the past.

mmm

easy tiger :lol:

I have very soft B springs and have no trouble at all getting over obsticals but I regret going for +4 shocks due to them letting the car roll too much at high speed. :ph34r::ph34r:

but I was testing them out so I can't complain there is no sag or drop from any of the springs and all the shocks are still like new after two years.

were as sagging after only two miles like some spring set ups I have owned in the past.

Jules helped you get over this . Which alot of people had to winch over , including me

julianholefirst.jpg

julianhole.jpg

Jules helped you get over this . Which alot of people had to winch over , including me

julianholefirst.jpg

julianhole.jpg

good job you did not post the one comming up and out the ARB bumper was doing a good loading shovel imprestion I think she moved 1/2 of soil.

ixi15.JPG

It climbed these logs well with the softer set up.