Land Anchors

joe1970

Erm ... :ph34r: a case of beer got my pins (had the tube for years and years), can't say any more than that really :lol::ph34r:

Jim you can copy away all you like.

I can also provide an alternative design of the 'Grippa with all curves and stuff in the arms if desired :)

What are plate and pins, would a ground anchor work on a stubble field?

plate and pins are what the army use to winch stuck vehicles out with, be it a landy or a tank, you can use more the one and set them up in long line to get more anchorage. they are even designed to work in desert sand, but they take more time to deploy and alot more time to remove.

ive got a golddigger plough anchor, havnt used it yet, (the 90 is work in progress). it certainly looks well made but its rather heavy! Plough type anchors will work in most situations but they need something solid below the grounds surface to dig into, they wont work in bog or sand.

military land anchors is my guess! :P

Correct :D

Dad has the same anchor (which was where my tube came from) which presumably came with the pins when it was new. You could make the pins they are only mild steel and I may, ahem, have bent the odd ones now and again :unsure: top tip, if you stick them through a NATO hitch and heave you can usually straighten them if you have had plenty of Weetabix :)

IIRC they are about 20mm diameter so you could make them out of a length of 20mm bar if you put a head on one end and a point on the other. The reason the head end is a ring and not just a flat bar is so you can put another pin through it to work it loose/haul it out. I doubt it would be worth the hassle and cost of the materials to make one when you can buy an ex mil version for less than £100.

X-Eng anchor is incredibly light but from what ive heard it does not like the rocks and is bulky to stow on the truck. Devon anchors are good but they also bend when used in rocky ground. Carls Gold digger anchor is a good piece of kit, if i bent my Scrap iorn one thats probably what i would go for.

Chris is, or at least was right.

At Kirton a few people were using them like stump-hooks on rocks. Can't say I blame them as in places there was nothing else to use! However - it completely changes the forces it was designed to cope with.

Unfortunately - there are almost no rocks round these parts - so it never occurred to me that they might be used that way!

The next batch was made with two extra folds in the anchor which roughly doubles the force required to break the blade - without adding any weight. That is the main change in the Mk2 version.

On the plus side, at Kirton I saw two broken D44 anchors and one fairly bent Scorpion. There were two X-Anchors broken - both replaced free of charge - so they didn't hold up too badly against what some people consider to be the best.

Golddigger's anchor is pretty good too according to people I've talked to.

Si

Er ... yeah ... my Kittygripper has done a bit of depth sounding for hidden rocks too so I can confirm that it is an issue :unsure:

post-33-1226051530_thumb.jpg

post-33-1226051549_thumb.jpg

I don't think any plough anchor would take the full force of a winch on the tip of the blade and not bend/break because that isn't the way they are supposed to be used.

Still waiting for a replacement 6mm blade.....

Poor Service from Kitty Gripper...

But I do believe they are no longer in production due to supply problems/labour shortages.........the main arm used as a shed door hold opener device as its no use for owt else without a spade :P

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...