Decent top for B&Q snorkel

ThreeSheds

Having just completed my RRC's B&Q snorkel I am a little disappointed with the top that I have - a standard outflow piece. I know of one chap with a plant pot on top of his :huh: , but really I was looking for something with a bit more style - that looks like a mushroom top, but which costs very little.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Rog

I got a proper mushroom from Matt Savage - they're on his website at £23.01 including VAT, and he's a top chap. Against...

Fray Bentos tin + cooking time - eating value + fabrication time + paint

... I think that's reasonable value (although he doesn't include a pie).

If you look in Matt Savage's special offers section his mushroom tops are £16.45 including VAT

John

I got a southdown top off ebay for £20 or so.

Fits perfectly and also gets rid of the last piece of "bend" if you know what I mean. You may have to lengthen your A pillar pipe due to the removal of the final bend, a significant investment at about £3 worth of pipe....

On the plus side it looks really good and much less home made. I've since got a 3" O/D aluminimum tube up my A pillar and bar the stickers, you'd think it was a southdown one. Alli was an offcut that cost £5 :)

Stu.

No not really as it would end up pointing straight up and acting as a rain collector.

Although not drain pipe, mine has a 90 at the top with a short straight to go along the top of the windscreen this has the underside cut out and mesh in the end and underneath to stop big bits getting sucked in.

Pete.

I'll get a photo later.

I meant more like the following picture, with a straight bit first:

wmsnorkel.jpg

Not too fond of these forward pointing ones - after seeing where the water goes when you hit a flood at speed, I think these might collect quite a bit of it..

As promised a picture.

snorkeltop001.jpg

Pete.

Now this is interesting - could quite easily be knocked up for next to nothing. I like this one

Pa used a 45 degree B&Q end, seems to do the trick:

web_IMG_0330.jpg

Hah! This really could be a photo of mine right now! The top bit is just slipped on to stop the rain while I decide what to do with it

Many thanks for the ideas people :) at the moment I am tending towards the Matt Savage top in the offers section:

sav071.jpg

I am also thinking of joggling the pipe in so that the top doesn't get clobbered by passing undergrowth.

Once it's done I'l post some pics (as long as I don't make it look too much of a mess ;)

Roger

I meant more like the following picture, with a straight bit first:

wmsnorkel.jpg

Although I have not tried a proper safari top, I did make a forward facing top for mine originally, and even allowing for the fact that I put several large drain holes in the back of it and had the pipe work inside the head arranged to minimise the water ingress, heavy rain or indeed hitting a large puddle a bit too fast would throw enough water in to the end for a significant amount to collect in the airbox.

I don't doubt that a proper top will work better but since changing to the top I have now the amount of water getting in has greatly reduced.

Pete.

• 3 months later...

Nylon tube for pneumatic systems, costs around £20 for a 30m roll the same bore as origional breathers. Can be connected with a wide range of push in fittings and no shortage of places selling it.

Personally I would go for a pre cleaner style top like the ones Matt Savage sells. From experiance with combine harvesters, pre cleaners do a great job of reducing the amount of dust that gets to the main air filter. Supposedly with tops like those on safari snorkles, when angled the right way, the dust blows past them rather than ito them, but I've not experiance of this.

a little O/T

but have any of you had any ideas on what to get and where from for extended breathers?

mikey

Ebay. You want 1/8" BSP push-fit 90 degree elbows, and a few metres of plastic pipe... If you type 1/8 BSP into ebay you'll find it. ;)

I bought enough bits to do my whole disco (only done axles so far though) for less than £20...

I ran my rear axle breather up through a rubber grommet in the floor and pushed the pipe up into the void behid one of the rear light clusters, and plumbed the front one into the air box, using another push-fit elbow. (i'm sure loads of tin-pot engineers will be on here telling me the suction from my turbo will pull all the oil out of my axle.. but i'll take a chance ;) )

My only concern with the pre-cleaner top of a plastic drainpipe is the weight of it and the ability to catch trees. I reckon the one RaceFace posted is best of the bunch.

As a note, the push-fit fittings are about the same price from a hydraulics/pneumatics shop as they are on eBay, and you can get stainless steel ones which IMHO are nicer.

Whilst I agree the rearward facing versions look odd I think they are best for the job.

Most of the others are asking to get ripped of in the trees and the ones laying across the screen are just waiting for the next wave to come sloshing up the windscreen.

Steve

Certainly on mine when it had a rearward facing end it was so noisey that you couldn't have the passenger window open if your were driving. As I said before since fitting the top I have now, i have had no problem with water being ingested from the water thrown up when hitting large puddles at speed.

Pete