Transmisison tunnel sound proofing / insulation

bishbosh

Having gone auto on the 90, I need to find some sound proofing / insulation to fill the hole left by the gearstick in the tranny tunnel.

I only need a bit about a foot square.

Ideally, I would want to stick it to the underside of the metal cover I have made for the hole.

Any recommendations out there?

Guest diesel_jim

Do you use it inside the vehicle? (then put the rubber mat/carpet/shagpile on top of it?) or "under" the panels (i.e., outside of the vehicle under the floor/seatbox etc)

Hi Bish

Noisekiller supply their stuff in sheets to custom cut and fit for the inside.

Also once you are done buy some genuine 90 front rubber mats from LR. They are nice and thick and well fitted to cut out the noise. They also have a lip all the way round so that when the roof leaks the puddle of water is just on the mat and can be simply tipped out the door! ;););)

Steve

Curious. I don't know what conclusion to make, but when I searched the Screwfix site for 'lead' I got no returns of products, merely the phrase "Sorry we do not currently sell "lead", but we may do so in the future. ..."

Change the search term to 'Flashing' and there are 24 product returns, some of which are Flashing Tape in various width. These turn out to be self adhesive, but nowhere is the word lead mentioned.

I don't know what conclusion to make, but I wonder if a product can only be called 'lead' if the metal is over a certain percentage by weight? Pure lead has safety connotations nowadays, even though it was once used for potable water pipes.

I can understand a certain justification for 'adulterating' the lead with a harder but flexible modifier, which would help minimise the ease with which the surface can be wiped off onto fingers and nails, and from there onto food.

Still, nothing to do with soundproofing, but with an internal diesel engine to live with in the future, it's a topic I may soon have an active interest in.

Thanks.

To clarify:

I am making, well a grown up / YTS trainee is making me a bling stainless cover that will go over the hole in the transmission tunnel.

At the moment, directly beneath this is the gearbox. I reckon that that stainless cover will get pretty hot, particularly when off roading at low speed and I don't really want an on board griddle in the 90!!

So, what I need is something(s) that will insulate against heat from the transmission and offer a degree of noise reduction too.

Will this sticky back flashing do both?

Thanks

Will this sticky back flashing do both?

Don't know but this stuff will...

FLOOR TUNNEL HEAT & SOUND INSUL. 2FT X 21" (3.5 SQ FT) - TD0505 £30.80 pixel_trans.gif <script language="javascript">050501FloorTunnel300RGB.jpg

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge Floor and Tunnel Heat and Sound Shield was designed to withstand direct temperatures up to 1750ºF. It also works well for under vehicle applications and because of its unique material is capable of insulating against unwanted road noise up to 50%.

• Excellent heat and sound barrier
  • Withstands 1750ºF direct continuous heat
  • Self adhesive backing for easy installation
  • Unique material - works in harsh environments
  • Can be cut to fit any shape

http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?products_id=819

Steve

Dynamat is what the Boy racers use to soundproof their "ICE" installs. Ive used sheets of underseal which I got from my local auto paint supplier. The type like you see on the back of door skins.They came on a roll approx 3ftwide with adhesive backing. IIRC can also get them around a foot sq. Easy to apply & can be mould into shape with a bit of hot air.