Scrap Iron racing.....Gone under!!

Soliholic

whats the link between www.scorpionracing.com and www.scorprionracing.co.uk? (apart from a scorpion thats done a u-turn and a slightly differnt font and the .com hasnt been updated since 2005...). Are they linked - or is it another immitation?

Doesn't look like any relationship at all...

One is a racing related site based in USA.... The other.. Who knows....

And.. regards the Tesco owning the site etc., they own many shopping malls and have various outlets on many of their sites. Bar Hill near Cambrdge has lots of other retail outlets and they all seem to manage to advertise prices for each product.

Sounds like a great excuse to not have to manage the prices or appear competitive !

Neil

I think you'll find the pricing issue has something to do with needing to show prices with VAT included.

But they never quote with the VAT and add it on to your invoice afterwards.

That way you end up spending more than you planned.

(well, I always did)

Quoting Ex-VAT is one of my pet hates! Too many retailers do it - and it's often illegal!

One point of not quoting prices for a certain company who may or may not have a similar sounding name to the aforementioned......

Before the whole X-Brake thing I bought a certain part for myself. Then rang up and asked if X-Eng could bulk buy and retail the item (without mentioning that I already had one). I was given a quote which included a reasonable % discount. The price seemed a bit high, so I checked the invoice for the original. The discounted bulk price was exactly the same as the retail price for one. It's an old trick - but again, it's a bit sharp.

Hopefully in it's new guise, they will be much more shiny.

Si

Anybody know where their new premises are?

erm.... you want to pay them a visit?

One thing to note, the registered office is not necessarily the premises (quite often not actually), so.... when you google the registered office address and find this:

No Rules Just Racing

59 Great Cambridge Rd, Cheshunt, Waltham Cross

EN8 8NZ

T 01992 ******

It's quite interesting :P

erm.... you want to pay them a visit?

One thing to note, the registered office is not necessarily the premises (quite often not actually), so.... when you google the registered office address and find this:

It's quite interesting :P

that is interesting - so is the stuff they sell:

http://www.nrjr.co.uk/online_shop.php

if they are acquiring the aforementioned company - they will merge together nicely - go to their online shop - add something to the cart, then go to checkout - and the price per unit is GBP0.00 :lol::lol:

Another company who doesnt like advertising their prices :hysterical:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I talked to one of the mags yesterday (to renew my adverts) and they said my little orange friend owes them over £30k for advertising - and they don't think they are going to get anything out of the Administrators. Another mag said about 6k. Hopefully they will see the light and not accept advertising from the new incarnation.

I don't know how many customers and suppliers have been left out of pocket - but this kind of thing (going into administration just to clear debt - then start up again with a slightly different name) makes me so angry. I'm surprised nobody has been round for a polite chat with Kolon.

Si

Just picked up this months LROI, thought it was a bit thin but haddn't opened it, just read the recent posts and had a look, only 2 pages from our Orange friends! Someone must be hurting!

Brookers

Absolutely none in LRM!

Makes a person wonder are they the ones that are owed over £ 30000?

but this kind of thing (going into administration just to clear debt - then start up again with a slightly different name) makes me so angry. I'm surprised nobody has been round for a polite chat with Kolon.

Si

its a common game - I have seen (ok I was involved) where a holding company has gone bust, and all of the subsidiaries were by default put under as well. then an MBO took place changing the name by adding UK before the ltd on one of the subs - and resumed trading - after about 4 weeks in administration. We then came to agreements with our suppliers and paid them a % over new invoice values to help them recoup losses from the collapse over a period of 2 years. All in all worked out ok for all concerned - so the law is there to help when things get tough - but regretably some people do abuse the situation as we all know :(

Id like to think it comes down to the ethics of the owners to do the right thing... if you do, then on the whole customers and suppliers will respect you and try to work with you...

A friend bought a ground anchor from them 2wks ago... took a week for it to arrive, then they failed to pack the mounting bracket & fixings. Bracket arrived 2 days later minus fixings!!! We ended up having to manufacture(bodge) a couple of screws for competion following day. Dont think the bolts have turned up yet.

Will say the anchor performed brilliantly but the timescale that it took to get the item was p@sspoor. It doesnt inspire you to shop with them when everything takes so long. Only reason he used scrapiron was that devon4x4 was substantially more expensive for the same item.

Only reason he used scrapiron was that devon4x4 was substantially more expensive for the same item.

Guess you pay for service...

I bet Devon would have packed and shipped the remaining items and you would not have had to bodge things in a panic...

I bet Devon would have packed and shipped the remaining items and you would not have had to bodge things in a panic...

no ones squeeky clean, Devon cost Pali a heap of wasted time and money, he paid for service - just didnt get it.

not really, ive had the same disappointing service from d44. Only order 8 shackles, came in 3 seperate consignments. Yes they were cheap but probably cost me a few quid in wasted phone calls & my time.

never had a problem with the bits i've ordered and the products must be A1 as there all copies of known working products

delivery can always be down to the courier we use to have loadsa problems till we told them were things could be left etc

hope they do change there work practices as they have been very helpful over the phone to me

D44 gets my main bussiness tho no problems there an you can impulse by at night when your not thinking straight :)

dave