Handtorches

pugwash

last event at welilngton a couple of people had some ridiculously bright LED torches.

can anyone point me in the direction of a known bright torch for about £30- £40 or so. Bright as possible but also quite small please.

there's lots out there but you never know what you are going to get until you actually receive it!

last event at welilngton a couple of people had some ridiculously bright LED torches.

can anyone point me in the direction of a known bright torch for about £30- £40 or so. Bright as possible but also quite small please.

there's lots out there but you never know what you are going to get until you actually receive it!

BP petrol stations are doing one of these on an offer of (I think) £9.99 with £20 worth of fuel.

It looked quite sturdy and it was small too - has a number of LED's in it. Might be worth a look.

Puggers If you are on about the torch I was using , Its an Led lenser as FF has mentioned , Its the police spec torch , batteries last for ages and it was brighter than Pikeys MuffCave diving led lamp .

I got mine from Snap on ,but I see they are on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-LENSER-Police-Te...A2%7C240%3A1318

The silly bright ones are LED Lenser, Maplins sell them, Ones with Luxeon LED's in are also pretty damn bright. They're a far brighter LED chip than the normal bundles of white LED's you get in the cheapo ones.

Best torch ive ever owned, outlast my old maglites 10 fold. Ledlenser gets my vote everytime. Those of you who have a trago mills nearby, them sell them there.

Adrian

Mmm, I've always had Maglites as torches, as I've always found them to be the best torches around.

That doesn't include these new LED torches though, as I've never had one. I believe I will get one though, having seen some ridiculously bright ones while airsofting at night. Much brighter than my Maglite :(

Mmm, I've always had Maglites as torches, as I've always found them to be the best torches around.

That doesn't include these new LED torches though, as I've never had one. I believe I will get one though, having seen some ridiculously bright ones while airsofting at night. Much brighter than my Maglite :(

Dont give up on the maglights , They do an LED conversion for them now .

Petzl Tikka for me too - got 3 of them, absolutely brilliant working on and around a vehicle though not much good for hunting I guess! I keep one in each vehicle as there is absolutely nothing better if you need to change a puncture in the dark where there is no ambient light, and they provide a nice spread of light for walking in the dark too, unlike the cheap LED headtorches which I have had and abandoned.

Are these "LED Lensers" really 50 x as bright as a regular torch? How would they compare to, say, the 12 volt 2 million candlepower one I have which uses a 55w spotlight bulb? Great torch (range of hundreds of yards) but the rechargeable battery only lasts about 15 min and then needs about 6 hours on charge :huh: however it probably really is "50x brighter than a regular torch"!

£50+ seems like a lot of money for a torch but I would probably get one if it was a good 'un :)

A LED conversion for my big Maglite would be great B)

Hi

Not very small I know but if you go into Costco they are selling the most ridiculous macho named torch ever, its the Cyclops Thor Collosus X 1000, its 18 million candlepower apparently and only comes in manly army colours, its a must have accessory if you drive one of those well built pick ups in Niges thread :lol:

On a more serious note I have both a maglite and a petzl tikka for the car, I use a petzl duo for climbing but I'm not sure they still make them...

Mike

It depends what you want from a tourch, 90% of the time I would opt for a headtourch. I have a Petzal Tikka and for camping, fixing cars, walking at night etc. its ideal. It won't burn out retenas in the next county, but then that is of little practical benefit to me.

What is "aircraft aluminium" anyway?

It sounds good but I can't make my torch fly.

They don't specify a grade of aluminium, but a logical guess is the grade they use is also used in some form for the areo industry. The reality is "aircraft aluminium" sounds better than a largely meangless bunch of numbers/letters.

Mind you 'aircraft aluminium' could also include the cheap grades they used for making passanger seat ash trays :lol:

Puggers If you are on about the torch I was using , Its an Led lenser as FF has mentioned , Its the police spec torch , batteries last for ages and it was brighter than Pikeys MuffCave diving led lamp .

i thought it was you jase- but couldn't quite remember.

Yocu an't ever get away from Pikey's mining tilley lamp, of which he is inordinately proud (guess being headtorch it leaves the hands free- useful at night for sheep farmers at night i guess- you have to see what your holding on to!)

anyway i've found the torch for me: http://www.heinnie.com/lszj9t834427/Flashl.../p-97-273-1095/

yours is 80lumens bright, this bad boy is 500 lumens bright!!!! and a snip at £400 (you gotta think at that price you should buy a couple of sets of night vision goggles!)