anyone know why Diesel costs 14p a litre more than petrol?

SteveG

on average diesels get more to the gallon ergo more people buy diesels. Government feel left out as they are loosing out on yummy tax, government come up with BS polution carp to justify re-raping our wallets based on particulate that is removed from the atmosphere by rainfall

The moral majority are dumb enough to belive it

hence we are the only country in Europe with such a disparity, in fact......from memory the only country where diesel is more expensive than petrol..

yay.

Im jaded and cynical :)

A barrel of oil is about 42 US gallons ( 35 imperial).................... that will distill to about 20 US galls of gasoline (87 RON petrol) and only about 10 US gallons of derv (LS Derv). The main reason being that the crude is too high in sulphur and therefore the refining of low sulphur fuels is much less efficient.

HTH

i think...although i could be wrong...that diesel used to be cheaper (long before i can rememebr unfortunately) because it was a waste product from the petrol refining process. as the popularity of diesel increased, presumably it reached the point where the demand for waste exceeded the supply from the manufacture of petroleum. hence it would then have to become a product rather than biproduct, which costs more.

Up until 2004 diesel was noticeably cheaper than petrol and thats a fact.

The government introduced a hefty benefit taxation from April 2002 on company cars based on emissions that escalated up to 2004 timescales. This resulted in a mass migration of company car drivers to diesel, myself included so in 2004 when i purchased a diesel within a few months it became more expensive than petrol by around 1 to 2 pence per litre. Since then the oil companies (cartel) have milked it along with the government.

diesel historically has always been cheaper to produce and sell and still should be all things being equal. This is about 'interested bodies' making maximum profit and they will produce evidence to support there position.

It is now almost a level playing field for the average car driver whether to go petrol or diesel.

A barrel of oil is about 42 US gallons ( 35 imperial).................... that will distill to about 20 US galls of gasoline (87 RON petrol) and only about 10 US gallons of derv (LS Derv). The main reason being that the crude is too high in sulphur and therefore the refining of low sulphur fuels is much less efficient.

HTH

Not really ;) , because I assume that was also true some 15 months ago when petrol price was about the same and diesel was only 3-4p more.

Cheers

Steve

I heard ......

The government was going to put a heafty tax on heavu oils used for heating because one of the 1% groups had beeen lobbying heavily because the fumes contained heavy particles..

Then another 1% group said that would not be fair on pensioners that used oil for heating.

So the government of the day slapped all that extra tax on heavy oil used for transport.

mike

Guest diesel_jim

It's the same thing with LPG (as the above diesel taxation thing).

The gov't say "we'll not be taxing LPG because it's so clean etc etc"

result: lots of petrol cars get converted

end result: I've heard shisperings of a tax being levvied on LPG.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyone who believes anything this government says needs their benefits/big screen TV's/etc etc sticking up where the sun doesn't shine. :angry2:

:( My understanding of the situation is that when the explosive demand for diesel vehicles took off , the oil companies in this country did not expand their refining plant too keep pace with demand . This combined with a government who lets them do what they like , has led to a fuel which is easier to produce than petrol and gives you more bang for your pound , costing more than petrol . So its only another rip off , what else is new .

Is it because it smells and is pants? :ph34r:

I agree that it seems to be about level, cost-per-mile, whether you run petrol or diesel these days - every so often I think about converting to a diesel runabout but it never quite stacks up as you'd expect unless you have a good source of old veg oil.

Up until 2004 diesel was noticeably cheaper than petrol and thats a fact.

i don't think that's quite true. i've had a licencse since 2001 and certainly since then, diesel has always been more expensive. a quick google search puts diesel at 80p a litre in 2000 and 80.8p for diesel. its not a big difference, but that would certainly not make diesel significantly cheaper than diesel. no doubt the gap is getting bigger, but diesel has not been significantly cheaper than petrol for a very long time.

firdge i think it's because its gods own fuel :P

still cheaper to run a modern diesel as they tend to get much better economy, but if the disparity in pricing increases as modern petrols improve efficiency, i think it will be 6 and half a dozen.

here's another theory http://www.petrolprices.com/why-diesel-cos...han-petrol.html probably as many theories as the kennedy assassination.

still cheaper to run a modern diesel as they tend to get much better economy, but if the disparity in pricing increases as modern petrols improve efficiency, i think it will be 6 and half a dozen.

True a modern diesel is cheaper - last time I did the maths using V8 Vs TDi the cost of timing belts, heads & gaskets etc. actually made it almost even :lol:

I'm going to run away now :ph34r:

Interesting links from CIP, it shows diesel is more expensive before its taxed, and equal dutys come on top. In Holland, the diesel is cheaper (mainly because of the truckers), However, if you drive a car for personal use, you pay double the roadtax compared to petrol, the same for LPG. So The government is having you over either way. Something else the UK is having to contend with is the fact we are stuck on an island; You cant nip over to your neighbours to fill up cheaper. In Holland the petrol in border areas is cheaper for that reason, sponsored by the government, how bent is that?

Daan

Down here in the South East diesel was definitely cheaper until some time in 2004. My govnor at work went from diesel to petrol for his lease car this time as after doing the maths there wasn't a 'noticeable' difference in running costs over 3 years/70,000 miles.

The scenerio being comparative running costs for a new lease car must consider price premium for equivalent diesel model over petrol, reduced service interval mileage of diesel compared to petrol and then the increased cost of fuel. Service costs may be similar but my diesel takes 8 litres of oil, plus a fuel filter every service.

A lot of speculation mostly ...... of which some is true and a lot is not true.

Although goverments around the world do interfere with taxes etc, the main cause for diesel being more expensive is simple economics ...... demand vs supply. There is an international growing trend in diesel demand and a proportional decline in mogas demand. This goes hand in hand with developments in diesel technology.

Refineries are required to run on sweeter / lighter crude types in order to produce lower sulphur diesels. The refining processes become more expensive and so do the types of crude required to be extracted. Refineries around the world get updated with new processing units to meet demand of specific product types that are less damaging to the environment. Euro IV & V specs etc.

Diesel has in fact not been been an inferior product to mogas since the 70's. The main streams of product that is refined out of a barrel is (from lighter ends to heavier),

a) BTX solvents (benzine, toluene, xylene), feedstocks for mogas.

B) Higher octane mogas and diesel and kerosenes like DPK (for jet & paraffin) and lastly

c) Residuals like Fuel Oil, Marine and bunker fuels and lastly heavy Furnace oil and Bitumen

A by-product is LPG which is blended from Butane and Propane gasses. Depending on a countries demand for these gasses. Europe manufacture these on demand to supplement the shortfall in natural gas.

Diesel is more expensive than petrol in SA as well. The diesel price overtook that of mogas in the late 90's. Motor fuels is on of the easiest ways for governments to collect taxes but not the main reason for diesel being more expensive.

My 2p worth ....

Wikus

Currently I am paying about 63p a litre for diesel which is expensive when you consider petrol is about 45p a litre!

Difference is down to government ripping off the poor old motorist. Different country same story

Regards

Leeds

Erm,, how much? This isn't Doctor Who speaking, is it?

- can I come and buy mine there, instead of paying 1.04/litre, up here in the future

i don't think that's quite true. i've had a licencse since 2001 and certainly since then, diesel has always been more expensive.... diesel has not been significantly cheaper than petrol for a very long time.

Bless! - "..a very long time..." - to us old people, 2001 was yesterday - for the majority of our living memory, diesel was cheaper. We still keep thinking it'll go back to 'normal' :rolleyes::rolleyes: