interesting response from QT

white90

The point about fatigue is that you don't need high stresses to cause a failure. A bad detail (like the start / end of a weld) and repetitive cycles of loading will eventually cause failure. Yes, cross axle flex will generate higher stresses, but how many fully cross axled cycles would you get in the life of an axle? I would suggest several orders of magnitude less than the on road cycles I am talking about....?

Q for Dave White, do you know the weightsaving on the Britpart arms?

Sorry, no idea, I bought them for the castor correction rather than weight saving, any saving in weight was just a bonus. It's possible they may even be heavier than the originals.

How many fully cross axled cycles would you get in the life of an axle? I would suggest several orders of magnitude less than the on road cycles I am talking about....?

I see your point. I was thinking that the stresses would be several orders of magnitude greater, but then it'd just tear the thing apart of course.

On further thinking about my idea of rotational vs cross-axle loading I don't think the loads are rotational any more either, so that knackers that idea too.

In fact, I'm going back to buses. A few kg here and there doesn't make any difference :)

OK Dave called me today

he has asked for a photo and some info to confirm the ones I have fitted

I will send these in and let you all know.

Apparently the Pirate post was inaccurate as Dave did not say the arms were show items but the new design has been around for a fair while now.

In my opinion at this stage Dave has been a stand up bloke from a stand up company.

I will keep you all informed

A message from Dave Marsh, MD, Qt Services Ltd ...

Having taken the trouble to look at the issues raised on this forum, I felt it was important to provide some correct information relating to our radius arms.

The pictures shown of failed radius arms are of a very early type. When we initially designed these arms for racing some 8 years ago, Qt Services conducted considerable tests in the competition environment to prove their reliability. The first batches of arms were manufactured with holes between the axle bushes. Over a period of time it became apparent that the stress in this area due to axle tramp could enduce fatigue in the arms. We did indeed issue a recall to all customers we could trace who had been supplied with these arms and offered replacements accordingly. As to a customer being supplied with "demo arms" this unfortunately seems to have resulted from one of our distributors choosing to sell a set of arms supplied for shop display only to a customer. We have already spoken with this customer and made arrangements for replacement of these arms free of charge.

Having undertaken a detailed analysis of the original arms' design we revised the production models removing the holes in the locations where failure had been an issue and also increased material strength by a minimum of 20% in key stress locations. As a result of these modifications we have never had an issue with fatigue in our radius arms.

Some of the other information contained in your forum which proports to relate to our radius arms is not true. In particular, that relating to partially welded arms which are not of our manufacture. All Qt Radius Arms are fully welded and constructed of a folded i-beam design to maximise strength whilst minimising unsprung weight.

Reference has been made to Britpart products which you may be interested to know are a copy of our arms which Britpart chose to have produced overseas whereas Qt Services arms are manufactured using British Steel and we have long recognised the benefits of being able to trace our materials to ensure a high quality product.

We take great pride in bringing new products to the market place and are flattered by the fact that so many others have chosen to copy our designs!

We are always interested in hearing from customers with regards to our products in order that we can continue to offer market leading, high quality off road equipment for the enthusiast.

If you would like to discuss any issue regarding the above you are more than welcome to contact me during working hours and at our office on 0044 (0)1579 349688. Please note I will be at the Autosport show from Wednesday 7th January through until the Sunday night so please feel free to leave a message with the office.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

Dave

A message from Dave Marsh, MD, Qt Services Ltd ...

We did indeed issue a recall to all customers we could trace who had been supplied with these arms and offered replacements accordingly. Dave

Obviously i will have to contact QT direct but the above quote would seem to be favourable to those that couldn't be contacted

I have been following this debate with some interest as I have QT radius arms fitted to my 110.

May I thank Dave of QT for having the courtsey for coming on here and explaining the situation to the forum.

A couple of minor questions for Dave though.

1) I note you say that British Steel material is used. Do I correctly infer that these arms are made in the UK as well?

2) When did the Mk 2 arms go into production?

May I also thank the forum members who have contributed to this thread for being informative, illustrating the points raised with photographs and keeping on topic.

Daves response has certainly given me more faith in QT as a company and their reputation.

Regards

Leeds

sorry,the bloke had no option but to reply,the damage to a business through the power of the internet is imense.not answering would only have put him in the same league as scorpion racing.i have seen a recent set of qt arms that have broken in this manner,so it seems it is not just early arms failing.

Well a week has passed since I sent the pictures in.

I have heard nothing either e-mail or telephone.

I have sent another email today with the footnote that if I hear nothing then I guess nothing is intended to be done..

I'll keep you informed.