Question about greasing threads

Hi all,

whenever I unscrew a bolt or remove a nut I put some grease on the thread before screwing it back. I do it because I want to protect them against rust and also make the job of undoing them easier in the future.

At some point I was using the lithium grease, but then I got concerned that it could actually get hardened, especially when subjected to heat. So, now I'm using the regular ball-bearing petroleum-based grease.

I was wondering if I'm alone greasing bolt and nuts and is there anything wrong with that? Is there some special compound that was designed specifically for that purpose?

Thanks in advance,

/Jaroslav

Hi all,

whenever I unscrew a bolt or remove a nut I put some grease on the thread before screwing it back. I do it because I want to protect them against rust and also make the job of undoing them easier in the future.

At some point I was using the lithium grease, but then I got concerned that it could actually get hardened, especially when subjected to heat. So, now I'm using the regular ball-bearing petroleum-based grease.

I was wondering if I'm alone greasing bolt and nuts and is there anything wrong with that? Is there some special compound that was designed specifically for that purpose?

Thanks in advance,

/Jaroslav

A copper based anti-sieze compound, such as Copaslip® or Copper Ease - I'm sure there'll be a Canadian equivalent.

On the subject of greasing bolts, be careful you don't over-torque greased bolts - torque values shown in workshop manuals are usually for dry threads.

You are not alone in greasing bolts / nuts. I generally use my general purpose grease in the grease gun, which is high temperature wheel bearing grease with Molybdenum Disulphide (dark grey in colour). For bolts that are very exposed to water spray I use a grease that resists water washout. These are often labelled as suitable for marine rigging screws, or outboard motor down tubes.

Many will say 'Copper-slip', but I think the product is now overated (compared to 20 years ago). With the price of copper the amount in the grease has gone down, and the grease is nothing special. I would only use it on bolts / studs that get hot, such as exhaust manifolds, and even then it's more optimism than belief.

There probably are 'special compounds' but probably for specific purposes, and at special costs.

HTH

Threadlock/torqueseal are a type of adhesive that is applied to bolt threads to prevent them from coming undone. Where a bolt has this type of adhesive applied to it - it's very important that the thread isn't subsequently coated with grease to make it easier to remove in the future.

If bolts that are threadlocked come undone, it usually results in catastrophic failure of a vital component, such as brakes, crankshaft pulley, etc.

Les.

Many will say 'Copper-slip', but I think the product is now overated (compared to 20 years ago).

I agree - but maybe compared to 35 years ago ;)

I used to use copper grease at work when I was young and it was fantastic - it seemed that even when the actual grease part had long gone, the copper residue would remain.

But more recently I am afraid that I have lost faith in it. About four years ago I remove the exhaust downpipes on my Honda in order to weld a small hole. It was a temporary repair just intended to last a week or so until I got a replacement. Both the head bolts and the joint-clamp (just in front of the back wheel) were very rusty and difficult to undo (the bike was about 6 years old at the time). Even though I only intended the pipe to be on there for a week or so, I cleaned up all the threads and used Coppaslip (sp?) on re-assembly. As it happened I left the pipe on for nearly a year and when I finally came to replace it the threads were all rusted again and just as bad as before..

I still sometimes use Coppaslip as an assembly grease, but mainly because it is easy to apply from the tube and I still have some left on the shelf. I don't think I will be buying any more. Recently I have been using a molybdenum disulphide grease - not sure if it's any better as an assembly compound, but it's a lot cheaper (I have a big tub that was free :) ) and it is generally a superb grease.

Rog

I no longer grease or oil threads on a bolt. It serves no useful purpose because the threads can nd still do get rusted up. I use a tread sealer of some type. Expensive I know but the thread sealer takes all the air out from between the threads stopping rust forming.

I copper grease bolt shanks.

Both are tricks I learnt when preparing my rally car in the 1980's. I stiil do it.

mike

greasing, coppaslip, thread sealer.....

PAH!

i just give all the bolts a quick brush and a squirt with wd40 before reassembly and accept that after a few playdays, a few club trials and several jetwashings later....... that ALL the bolts will have seized in again.

I used to use copperslip and grease etc, but jetwashing is super effective at getting it all washed away - only to be replaced by the concrete type consistency of the clay/coal mixture from frickley. If someone could invent a grease that can resist his pressure power washers with detergent followed by repeatedly dried on mud - then they`d be a millionaire!

greasing, coppaslip, thread sealer.....

<_< During the summer seasons when all the nuts and bolts are completely dry and scouching hot (missing summer already) I get under the truck and WD40 all the nuts I think I might be fiddling with in the future- (Not calipers and brakes or locktited areas). It has been helpful with time. I have stopped high-pressured-washing-with-soaps-detergents-and-the-likes. They lead to rust. ;)

I have seen a silver-coloured aluminium grease on sale which is reputed to be better than copper grease which I use. Has anybody tried this stuff?

my dad bought a tub of the silver stuff from a MOD disposal shop & he uses it on everything & TBH it lasts well........

all the bolts on the radious arms etc on my challege car were well covered when they were last apart about 8 months ago & had to changethe front radios arm bushes the other night & all the nuts unscrewed & there was still traces of the stuff on the bolts & threads

With the exception of the lock-tited ones every bolt/nut on the d-lander is assembled with copper grease, if it doesnt last years then so be it, but while shes still being built and things are begin done up, then 3 months later undone its certainly proved useful so far :)