Land Rover camarederie

ob1

Good day all!!

New member, greetings from South Africa, hope you are all well.

Tried my hand in this site's search engine, found nothing. I do apologise if this is a repeat of a previous thread.

Here in South Africa, we do have a very strong sense of brother/sisterhood between the Landy ownders and drivers. Almost without exception on classic models and Defenders we wave/flash lights/hoot at each other. Lesser extent the Disco and newer RR

On one of the local forums, we wondered if there are other places in the world where you do this too?

Regards

Obus

Yes it happens here plenty, some drivers will nearly fall out of the window to wave at you, others will show you many hundred watts of spotlights instead :) I have noticed there to be quite a class structure involved though.

It seems older series and early 90/110 owners will wave to most drivers , however drivers of newer Defenders seem more selective and I only get waves from some of them if I'm in my 90. RRC drivers mostly wave to other RRC drivers and Disco 2, RRS and newer don't wave at all, or maybe they just have very tinted windows and can't see me waving.

Maybe this may be because there are more non-enthusiast drivers of the newer trucks. Also quite a lot of grumpy farmers around my way, so I don't bother waving to 90s with Ifor Williams tops now, lest I get scowled at with that 'get orf my land' look :o

When I went to Holland many years ago in my series 3 people waved enthusiastically at us everywhere we went whether they were in a Landrover product or not.

And welcome to the forum too.

I must of seen the same grumpy farmers as you! They don't wave at me either. Most people wave and you get the few enthusiastic people who will flash there light as well, which is always nice!

Steve

Yes it happens here plenty, some drivers will nearly fall out of the window to wave at you, others will show you many hundred watts of spotlights instead :) I have noticed there to be quite a class structure involved though.

It seems older series and early 90/110 owners will wave to most drivers , however drivers of newer Defenders seem more selective and I only get waves from some of them if I'm in my 90. RRC drivers mostly wave to other RRC drivers and Disco 2, RRS and newer don't wave at all, or maybe they just have very tinted windows and can't see me waving.

Maybe this may be because there are more non-enthusiast drivers of the newer trucks. Also quite a lot of grumpy farmers around my way, so I don't bother waving to 90s with Ifor Williams tops now, lest I get scowled at with that 'get orf my land' look :o

When I went to Holland many years ago in my series 3 people waved enthusiastically at us everywhere we went whether they were in a Landrover product or not.

And welcome to the forum too.

I am always amazed at the look I get from surprised series drivers when I wave at them. Warwick has a lot of defenders, loads of challenge trucks on weekends, loads of factory spec 110's running kids to Warwick school (who never wave), used to see the JE defender demonstrator on that school run on most days.

I get lots of friendly waves round Surrey/Hampshire from Series, Defender and Rangie Classic drivers, but then also you get the Electricity board, BT , Army and farmer type working 90/110's which you will never get a wave from. Same applies for the newer "non enthusiast" type vehicles.

I learned that the worst place for a wave is Weybridge! They are all too snooty to wave back or look at you like you are mental... And before i get flamed, i grew up there so am qualified to comment :) There are some good series and older Defner owners round that way though.

same over here in ireland normally a big flash of lights and a wave usually defender and series owners

They even wave at Disco owners in the West if Ireland :P

Must admit I wave at most Defenders, and tricked up/worked hard Discos, but rarely get a wave back :(

It happens all over Europe!

In the UK, it is mainly between Defenders or Defender/Series vehicles. You will more than likely get a wave from a kitted out Discovery too.

I dont bother waving at Freelanders or Range Rovers, and have never been waved at by the driver of one. This doesnt include RR classic drivers, as they usually wave.

In mainland Europe, I get waved at by ALL Land Rover owners, including RR, D3 & F2 drivers. :rolleyes:

I also find that in Europe that they can tell the worlds greatest vehicles when they see one.....I have been waved at many times by owners of other 4x4 marques!

As a RRC driver I gotta say I rarely get anything, there are one or two heads around in 110's who know me to see and wave but otherwise I generally get blanked even though my RR is an early one - so essentially just as rough and ready as a Defender. I'll always raise a hand and occasionally a flash of the lights.

Any time I've borrowed my pals crew cab Defender I get a bunch of recognition, even though it's a fairly lavishly factory spec'd 2003 model. This is in Ireland but while I was on the road in mainland Europe I got lots of friendly waves.

In fact a fella came round a corner in a SIII one day in Greece and he was visibly chuffed at the sight of the RRC, big waves, flashing and honking.... puts a smile on your face.

Well, that is something indeed. Makes you feel all proud to drive the old Landy! An International Fraternity of brothers (and sisters) all bound together by this squeaky, smally, slow pile of utter joy!

We are stronger than the Illuminati and Free Masnons put together! Luckily you will not see us go off and sart a war over oil. We'll just pour it into our V8's!!

:unsure: My observation over here in Norway is that the defenders and series wave (sometimes frantically) and flash lights on each other. In the big cities people tend not to wave. Drove to Oslo once and people thought I was mental (Funnily they were defender owners too :blink: ) I barely wave at RR and the newer types. Freelander owners I barely notice :huh: . In my area I see a couple of fenders and we always wave. I must admit it also depends on the age too. Pot-bellied grey-haired guys in RR are the worse..(Hope my brush is not touching anyone here ;) )

If I'm driving my disco I don't get any response if I wave, but if I'm driving his modded disco then they wave back :D

Same here,when I'm driving my standard Disco 2, nobody waves back. Put a London-2-Brighton plaque on the front and I get waves and flashing headlights!! :D